main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Midichlorians: Conclusively Pointless

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by myway, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myway

myway Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2004
    Now that the PT (which I love, don't get me wrong) is complete and all the evidence is in, I think it's clear to see that the midichlorians are quite possibly the most pointless plot device in SW. Why did QGJ have to do a blood test to see that Anakin was exceptionally force sensitive? First of all, he's a jedi master and should be in tune with this sort of thing (numerous times throughout the saga, jedi/sith pick up on the force sensitivity of other characters). Furthermore, QGJ saw Anakin in the pod races and even said earlier on "You must have jedi reflexes if you race pods."

Strilo edit: We have a midichlorians thread already. Please use the thread index.

2. I_Bent_My_Wookie

I_Bent_My_Wookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    I was indifferent to midis until one particular scene in ROTS.

Looks like George knew what he was doing with them.

3. Deadline247

Deadline247 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2002
    In the TPM audio commentary, Lucas says that he came up with the idea of midichlorians during the OT movies, but could never figure out how or when to explain them. He finally got his chance in TPM.

I'm not sure I believe him, though.

4. Adam-Wan-Kenobi

Adam-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2002
    yeah Lucas is sneaky like that...

5. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    Lucas is also sneaky...he says one this but does another thing :)

6. AnotherUser

AnotherUser Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2005
    I wouldn't miss the midichlorians if they were never brought up. Too EU.

7. 7thWheel

7thWheel Jedi Master star 1

May 29, 2005
    The fact that they were bought up served two things. One to say that Anikin has the potential to become more powerful than Master Yoda. I thought that there was about 100 different ways to do show that with out going the Midiclorian route. It also more importantly opened up the way to have Palpatine reveal his own, albeit more subtle, "I am your father" scene at the Opera house with the Darth Plagues story. That scene allowed me to forgive the concept of Midichlorians in the first one because it gives us such a powerful scene in ROTS.

8. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    But they could have just said, "This boy has more potential in the force than we have ever felt!" or "Darth Plageus used the force to create life..."

Personally, I'm indifferent to the midchlorians... but I agree, it was overall pointless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.