main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Midichlorians - Does Size Matter?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Darth_Rex_1977, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Rex_1977

Darth_Rex_1977 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2005
    We're told midiclorian count is important in force sensativity. In a blood sample, we're told Anakin's midiclorian count is the highest on record, even higher than Yoda. But we've also seen that Yoda, who is much smaller in stature than Anakin, is extremely powerful and in fact has said 'size matters not' and 'judge me on my size do you?'.

So my question is, why is Anakin less powerful when he gets his limbs chopped? His midiclorian count per unit of blood shouldn't have changed. Yoda, with a lower midiclorian count is very powerful even though he's a much smaller being. Is this a plot hole?

2. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Meh, I don't know. I'll just try to forget midichlorians even exist.

3. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Anakin's speed and agility is reduced with the suit, so he isn't the fighter he could be, and he can't manipulate lightning (and possibly other powers) so he can't ever reach his potential.

4. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I don't understand your question. Anakin isn't less powerful because he doesn't have real arms. It's because he's trapped in a metal suit.

5. DarthNater

DarthNater Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 23, 2004
    possibly he owuld loose midichlorians in the severing but who knows...could be a hole

6. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Good question, and it isn't one Lucas has answered too clearly.

Lucas does say that Anakin did lose a lot of his power when he lost his limbs and the Emperor refitted him with the suit. Now, obviously in ESB Vader is still able to throw things at Luke, though he will never be able to achieve anything like Force Lightning.

Likewise, when Count Dooku gets his arms chopped off, he can no longer zap Anakin with lightning or throw objects at him. He's defenseless. So, losing arms and other parts DOES effect the usage of the Force, whether it's concentration or not.

My guess is that, everything being mental and controlled by the mind, you need to "stretch out" with your feelings and all, I think it's partially mental. Vader is able to choke Padme but he reaches out with his mechanical hand to do that (according to the novelizations, and most likely the movie itself).

Less midichlorians = less Force bugs in your blood talking to you. That's probably the simplest explanation.

7. DarthScubbles

DarthScubbles Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2004

I always thought the Mid count was 20,000 per cell or per some other unit of measurement. That would not change with less of a body.

8. Darth_Rex_1977

Jan 14, 2005
    So it's because of the metal suit, not because he's been reduced?

I guess that's the answer.

9. basiclee

basiclee Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2004
    Meh, I don't know. I'll just try to forget midichlorians even exist.

Agreed, the fact it's in EPI doesn't make it true to me, I refuse to believe that's how The Force works, whether that's what Lucas says or not.

10. SupremeChancellor

SupremeChancellor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2005
    He isnt less powerful.

Anakin is just restricted by his suit.

11. Celestial

Celestial Jedi Padawan star 4

May 22, 2002
    Agreed, the fact it's in EPI doesn't make it true to me, I refuse to believe that's how The Force works, whether that's what Lucas says or not.

That's not how the force works, that's just the physical connection between the force and physical matter. GL had to relate the physical matter somehow.

12. DarqMarq89

DarqMarq89 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2004
    i think GL has stated otherwise... he's said that when anakin got his arm chopped, he lost a part of his humanity and a part of his power...

13. DarthScubbles

DarthScubbles Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2004
    DarqMarq89 posted on 3/31/05 9:19am
    i think GL has stated otherwise... he's said that when anakin got his arm chopped, he lost a part of his humanity and a part of his power...
    [hr][/blockquote]

But, "Luminous Beings are we, not this Crude Matter"

14. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I don't like midichlorians either. He should've used that scene on the landing platform between Anakin and Qui-Gon to shed light on the Sith.

15. Darth_Odeven237

Darth_Odeven237 Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2005
    I think adding the whole midiclorians info just opened Pandora's Box. I believe if the dialogue pertaining to Palp's "Wise" master remain GL will have yet another box to close.

16. Darth_Rex_1977

Jan 14, 2005
    "I don't like midichlorians either. He should've used that scene on the landing platform between Anakin and Qui-Gon to shed light on the Sith."

I agree. Especially since by that point Qui-Gon had been confronted by a Sith Lord. Qui-Gon realized that the Jedi had been blind to the Sith's return. He probably made the connection that the choosen one had been discovered at almost precisely the same time the Sith re-emerged. It would have been cool to see Qui-Gon starting to prime Anakin for his destiny, rather than try to scientifically explain the force.

17. knobby

knobby Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2004
    God I thought GL was trying to forget all that bollocks

18. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    This is how Oakesteve wrote this scene. He changed it to Obi-Wan and Anakin though:

ANAKIN: Can I ask you something?

OBI-WAN: Certainly.

ANAKIN: I heard that Jedi Master, Mace Windu, and Qui-Gon say something about the Sith. What are the Sith?

OBI-WAN: The Sith are the total of opposite of everything we stand for, everything we hold dear to our hearts. We seek to guide, advice, and protect the people of the Galaxy. The Sith want to rule and enslave it.

This fascinates ANAKIN.

ANAKIN: And that was a Sith that attacked you back on Tatooine?

OBI-WAN: It was. It?s possible that we might run into it again when we arrive on Naboo.

19. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Potential strength in the Force as a result of a midichlorian count has nothing at all to do with total quantity of blood and limbs. It's concentration in what you've got.

20. Darth_Rex_1977

Jan 14, 2005
    I don't think Anakin ever even says the word Sith in Ep I or II. It should have been there already. Anakin Skywalker even saying the word Sith would have been memorable.

21. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Probably because this is a work of fiction and not a biochemistry research paper.

It's like zombie movies - they didn't start eating brains until the early 80s. Why? Who cares. If they're dead that become animate, why do they eat? It doesn't matter. The list goes on.

It's like the transporter in Star Trek. Just accept that it is because the story requires it to be so.

22. CidDeuce

CidDeuce Jedi Youngling

Mar 26, 2005
    How about the fact that Yoda has many many more years of training with the force. Anakin never really reaches his full potential because he becomes a Sith and Palps will not allow Anakin/Vader to become too powerful because Vader would just overthrow Palps.

Yoda is stronger, the question is, Palps vs. Yoda.

23. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    But his total body mass of midiclorians is reduced. Therefore less total midiclorians in his body.

24. Darth_Rex_1977

Jan 14, 2005
    "Potential strength in the Force as a result of a midichlorian count has nothing at all to do with total quantity of blood and limbs. It's concentration in what you've got"

I understand that, but that's why I can't help but wonder why Vader is considered to be so much less powerful after the suit.

Maybe it's because he dies on the operating table and has to be revived. Maybe that killed off some of his midiclorians

25. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Like I said, it's because he's stuck in a metal suit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.