main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Midichlorians-why is this so badly bashed?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Slowpokeking, Apr 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Then how should it be? Who gets to decide that?

It's still part of every (living) thing in the universe. And it was explained on the very first meeting with Kenobi in ANH. Those are the facts.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just a fan throwing his opinion out there. Not changing the world at all. No one has to listen to me.
    I meant more in-depth like the PT does. The Force is just there. Not some biological component like in the PT.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Force is just there, and if there is a biological explanation for why some people can use it better than others--cool.

Anakin is an extraordinarily gifted Force-sensitive with a traumatic background and a temperamental personality. Obi-Wan and/or Qui-Gon decided that his Force sensitivity was great enough to be worth the risk of his un-Jedi-like personality.

Anakin made terrible choices and at the end of his life, with the help of his son, recognized how wrong those choices had been and did his best to redeem himself.

Works great with no virgin birth and no prophecy. Midichlorians could be there or not.

4. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    What exactly is a Jedi personality? I don't recall all of the other Jedi having one particular personality.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    No attachments, control your emotions etc.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Personality" might be the wrong word. Anakin didn't have the temperament suited to Jedi training. Just as some people don't have the temperament to go into education, the military, or any other numerous jobs in our world.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The Force is also "just there" in the PT, even more than in the OT because in the latter the audience got an explanation for it. And the midi-chlorians are the biological "component", not the Force. The Force is never explained in the PT, it's a concept treated as a given.

8. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I wonder. How many of you posters who put so much stock in respecting Lucas' "artistic vision," hold the same standard to those who criticize someone like Michael Bay's decisions in his Transformers films.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He did it initially because he was intending to reveal that Anakin was created by the Sith, which would then give him the reason to join Palpatine. He only left it ambiguous because he felt it was better left unsaid and didn't make it seem like Anakin was destined to fall. That he still had a choice.

Pretty much. In normal biology we have a fixed set of chromosomes from both parents that make up what is in their offspring. Well, if there's no father, there still needs to be something there. It takes two genetic codes to make one life form. Well, with Anakin it takes the code from Shmi and the code from what created her, to make him exist.
    That's the point of being a Chosen One. He's the one who has to do this, not someone else. It's like in "Man Of Steel", where Kal-El is the first Kryptonian in centuries to be born naturally, thus putting him miles ahead of the other Kryptonians.
    How is this your vision when you didn't make the *** damned thing? It's no more your vision than it is mine. To which I quote...
    "The thing about science-fiction fans and "Star Wars" fans is they're very independent-thinking people. They all think outside the box, but they all have very strong ideas about what should happen, and they think it should be their way, which is fine, except I'm making the movies, so I should have it my way."

--George Lucas
    Which is his right. The same way any filmmaker is right to do things that they feel is right. There can be a reasonable compromise like with advanced screenings resulting in re-shoots or re-editing. It's another when it becomes demanding.
    You can have your opinion. That's your right. What isn't right is the audacity to think you know better. That you somehow have a vision for what you think it should be, which is really arrogant.

Bay had the right to make the movies that he made, the way that he made them. I don't claim to have a better vision than he does. And unlike Lucas who created something from scratch and was inspired by various bits of works, Bay was playing with someone else's creation which was just one of a myriad different takes on a toyline.

10. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    But..if the explanation is actually, ultimately that it is magical, then it fails as a scientific one. That is the point I was making.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So he tried to have it both ways. That didn't exactly work out well.

What happened to giving him a reason to join Palpatine by making him resentful of the Jedi and somehow feeling that the Sith had better ideas? That works without making him "destined" to join the Sith or created by Palpatine or Plagueis.

So by your logic, there are no extraordinary people in the world and never have been, since no one has actually been born of a virgin.

As far as "If there is no father..." the simple solution is to give him a father.

There are ways to be "miles ahead" without being born from a virgin. Albert Einstein was definitely "miles ahead," so was Mozart, and their parents had sex.

So we're not allowed to have any expectations or desires for what we want to see in an entertainment product that we paid for? I don't think that's how any business model works.

Translation:

"To all the people who helped make me rich and famous in the 70s and 80s: **** you."--George Lucas

Thanks for posting that. I've been giving a new and interesting albeit rather disappointing perspective on the man.

So having an opinion is arrogant now? LOL.

If refusing to just "shut up and deal because Lucas said so" is arrogant, then I'll be arrogant. I've probably invested enough money in this franchise over the years to pay at least one semester's tuition for Katie or Jett. My generation helped make Star Wars profitable enough to make Disney feel it was worthwhile to invest four billion dollars. So if I am disappointed in some aspects of what I paid for, I absolutely do have the right to say so, as does anyone else who spent money on Star Wars and found some aspects disappointing.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    A lot of the second act was changed in 2004. Originally, Anakin becomes a Jedi Master when he's appointed to the Council and he's more concerned with being more powerful than saving Padme. When confronted by Palpatine about the truth of who he is, Anakin chooses to stay and not return to the Temple to report to Mace. Palpatine tells Anakin that he is the one who started the cell division that lead to his birth. Thus he could consider him his father. Obi-wan, meanwhile, finds out that Sidious is Palpatine when he sees him in hologram form, telling the Confederacy leadership that they're going to Mustafar, instead of Grievous doing the deed. Obi-wan then holds off on his attack and goes back to make contact with the Temple and Yoda on Kashyyyk. Mace then takes the Jedi Posse with him to arrest Palpatine. Mace orders Anakin to stand by his side and he refuses. Palpatine then uses Anakin's Lightsaber to fight the Jedi Posse. Anakin follows Mace and Palpatine out into the main office. Parts of this remain in the final film as you can see Anakin's saber in Palpatine's hand in a few frames.

[​IMG]

After Mace knocks Palpatine down, there's no dialogue. Palpatine just blasts Mace until the connection is broken and then Mace goes for the kill, but Anakin doesn't protest. Lucas changed all this due to his director friends wanting him to have Anakin struggle up to the end. In making the changes, Lucas opted to have it be ambiguous but make it clear that Anakin paying attention to Palpatine's story was due to his own heritage.

No one that can walk on water, turn water into wine, leap tall buildings in a single bound and shoot lighting bolts out of their fingers. We're all average.

Why is that simple?

But not divine. And who said that Shmi was a virgin?

That only works when you are the creator of said business. Did you make any of the "Star Wars" films? The answer is no. George Lucas created "Star Was". Ergo, you don't have a leg to stand on. If you had created SW and retained creative control, then you would have the right to demand things go your way. The only thing I've ever expected out of any movie, television show, book, comic book, music album and video is to be entertained. No more and no less. What you and I want beyond that is irrelevant.

Fan entitlement is nothing but elitist Bantha poodoo. Lucas made these films not for us, but because he wanted to.

Having an opinion isn't arrogant. Having an opinion that you deserve better because it didn't meet your expectations, on the other hand, is.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Why can't he pay attention to Palpatine's story because Palpatine had been blowing sunshine up his ass for ten years?

So all the other Jedi were immaculately conceived?

Because Anakin is human and that's how human conception works.

She probably wasn't but that's not the point. Making Anakin into a god is stupid.

Bingo.

I wanted to be entertained. The idiotic prophecy detracted from my entertainment, enough that I can't even watch the Mortis trilogy without wanting to go through my screen.

The reason I have posted what I did hear is that I was not entertained. Which is what I paid money for. Not Lucas himself bringing me my popcorn. Entertainment. No more or less.

LOL, I guess that's why tickets to Star Wars films as well as all Star Wars products are given away at no charge or at only the cost that Lucas incurred for their production.

Oh, wait.

I deserve the entertainment that I paid for, and barring that, the right to state why the film was not entertaining.

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Because the part that Anakin wants to hear starts with the revelation that the Force can do what medical science cannot do and fits right in line with his vow that he made three years earlier.

It means that among the Jedi and Sith, Anakin was head and shoulders above them due to having a stronger connection to the Force than they did.

Right, but in fiction, there are those who are born of divine origin.

He's not a god. He's just more gifted than others and as a result of that, he becomes arrogant and angry when he cannot live up to a potential that he and Palpatine see for him.

Which is the opposite of saying, "How I envisioned things?" That goes from entertained to be demanding.

Lucas made these films because he wanted to. We had the option to watch them. He wasn't doing it to kiss our asses. He was doing it to finish what he started.

It's a privilege, not a right to watch a movie.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    When I pay for a movie ticket and follow the theater rules, it absolutely is my right to watch a movie.

It is Lucas' privilege to receive my money for a product he made, not his right.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  16. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    So if I am disappointed in some aspects of what I paid for, I absolutely do have the right to say so, as does anyone else who spent money on Star Wars and found some aspects disappointing.

Well said, AFS. =D=

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013

I think it stems from the misconception that the Midichlorians ARE the Force, when they are merely intermediaries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Well said. I agree completely. Sadly too many apologists paint things in a different light. Such desperation on hat side of the argument. It's sad.

19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, it's his right to receive your money once you've decided to pay in order to be allowed to watch his work.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Operative words: "once I have decided to pay."

It is his privilege for me to decide to pay to watch his movie.

Just as it is Starbucks' privilege to receive my money for coffee when I could just as easily go to Dunkin' Donuts.

And if I get a bad cup of coffee from Starbucks, it is my right to post on the Internet that the cup of coffee did not meet my expectations.

But the reaction around here would apparently be, "You did not invent Starbucks coffee so it is your privilege to be allowed to drink Pike Place Roast, so shut up about it."

And before anyone tries an analogy about how I can't demand that Starbucks serve hamburgers: nope, hamburgers are not on the menu, so that would be correct.

Since "Star Wars" was on the menu for the PT, I absolutely had the right to expect movies similar to the fun Star Wars movies that I knew.

Just as I associate the Starbucks brand with good coffee and expect a cup of good coffee every time I go to a Starbucks (and have been satisfied 99.99999 percent of the time, which is why that company continues to receive my money), I associate the Star Wars brand with fun, entertaining movies with Jedi set in the GFFA. The Chosen One storyline is not fun and entertaining, therefore my expectations were not met.

I took one marketing class in college but I didn't think that was necessary to grasp the concept that the survival of every business, including Lucasfilm, depends on the receipt of customer money and therefore pleasing the customer. There is not a business anywhere that can survive with the attitude that "it is your privilege to be allowed to spend money on my product so I don't care if you like it, hand me your money anyway and bow down to my awesomeness, you peon". And if Lucas had taken the attitude quoted by darth-sinister above early in his career, this website would not exist and no one would know who he was.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I didn't question your right to watch his work once you payed.

I'd say that it's more your choice than his privilege. Or would you say that it's your privilege that you're able to pay to watch his movie?

Anyway, midi-chlorians and stuff...

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It is his privilege, when is could easily choose to buy a ticket for another movie in the theater. Or spend the $15 on something else.

23. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Movie tickets weren't $15 back in 1999. So at least that dastardly Lucas didn't ruin your entertainment-per-dollar level by quite so significant a margin.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LMAO. Talk about arguing semantics.

25. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Not arguing anything. Just pointing out something to keep in mind about your grudge based on money you spent in a theater quite a while ago. Assuming you only paid to see the film once, of course.

Cryogenic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.