main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Midichlorians: why the idea DOES NOT suck

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by That_Random_Jedi, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That_Random_Jedi

That_Random_Jedi Jedi Master star 3

May 14, 2005
    If you think about it, it makes a surprising amount of sense. The idea DOES NOT cheapen the Force in any way, nor does it reduce Force sensitivity to a medical condition. Midichlorians DO NOT in any way create or influence the Force. Think of them as teeny little magnifying glasses and the light they're focusing is actually the Force. The magnifying glass isn't the light itself, now, is it? So, you see, the Force remains a mystical, magical phenomenon-type thing. Midichlorians do not explain its existence. They DO, however, explain why it can be felt by some people and not others. Luck of the draw, folks. Luck of the draw.

Strilo edit: Please use the Midichlorians Discussion thread.

2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Most people actually do know that, but still think they suck, myself included. :)

3. Jericho_II

Jericho_II Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2005
    I've only resently latched on to the legitimacy of this idea as well; the thing I like about it is the the tangible way you can account for someone having more or less force power than someone else. Otherwise, you begin to wonder why jedi "X" can/can't do the same things as jedi "Y". I guess I'd rather chalk it up to something like midichlorians as opposed to something as vague as, "Well, they meditate more", or some such thing.

Also...I like the "luck of the draw" concept as the story plays out, and we see there's a lot of "grey area" with force-users, and that people still retain their personalities despite these capabilities, and struggle with how their powers are best utilized (Dooku). Possessing midichlorians comes off as much a curse as it is a blessing.

4. Obladi_Oblada

Obladi_Oblada Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2005
    "the thing I like about it is the the tangible way you can account for someone having more or less force power than someone else."

That's exactly what I don't like about them. When Vader said, "The Force is strong with this one..." it was like he sensed something special in Luke that couldn't be quantified. Now it's like, "Wow, this guy's gotta have a high midi-chlorian count. 10, maybe 15 thousand! That puts him somewhere above Ki Adi Mundi, right around Mace Windu level. Which isn't quite as much as Yoda or myself, of course." I liked it as something vague and a little mysterious. It was about how deep a connection you had with the Force. Something spiritual, not physical.

5. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    Just because I dislike the prequels doesn't mean I think everything is crap. I really never minded the midichlorians thing. I'm with the original poster. Midichlorians never hurt the mystery of The Force. If anything, I'll say that at least Lucas tried to add more dimension to the force. Its admirable to me in that regard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.