Midnight Movies at the Rosebud

Discussion in 'Milwaukee, WI' started by Auraveda, Apr 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auraveda Jedi Master

star 4
    I was just looking at the website for the Rosebud and noticed they've got some good movies coming up. The Rosebud is a nifty little theater in Wauwatosa with velvet couches instead of theater seats, and at the concession stand they serve more than just popcorn and soda. They've got pizza, all sorts of appetizers, corndogs, ice cream, wine, and beer on tap.

The Rosebud shows a mix of independent, off-release, and big name films. Every friday and saturday they show movies at midnight. They've got quite a good list of upcoming movies, so I thought I'd see if anyone is interested in going to any of these.

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Shorts
    May 2, 3, 9 & 10
    A Collection of some of the best short films that MST3K has spoofed.

O Brother Where Art Thou?
    May 16 & 23

May:
    The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
    Amelie

June:
    Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
    Snatch
    Sexy Beast
    Reservoir Dogs

July:
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    Armageddon
    Independence Day

August:
    The Big Lebowski
    Shakespeare In Love
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    Mullholland Drive
    Fargo

September:
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
    The Dark Side of Oz

2. solo414 Jedi Master

star 4
    I will go to most of those. They're showing some darned good flicks! Too bad I can't see the MST3K shorts. That would be awesome.
  3. Auraveda Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok, "O Brother Where Art Thou?" is playing tonight at midnight, and next week friday (23rd) at midnight.

"The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" is playing tomorrow night and next saturday night (24th) at midnight.

I'd like to see both of these movies. It's kind of short notice to go tonight, and I (and several others) will be busy tomorrow night, so shall we make it a double header and see both next weekend?

Or is there interest in seeing O Brother tonight?
  4. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm definately interested in seeing O Brother Where art though but tonight is not a good night. However, next weekend would be spectacular so if it's next weekend, I'm in.

M
  5. SySnootles Jedi Knight

star 3
    I was curious about how much it costs to rent out the Rosebud Cinema for a "private" screening of oh, let's just say for the sake of arguement, "Once More, With Feeling", the musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. So I popped over to their website (Dawn conveniently posted a link in the first post of this thread), and although I have not found out what the cost would be, I did find out how much fun navigating their website is. In the FAQs, there's even a link to ask out the person on who records the phone message. What a cool theater!

In short, I recommend going to the site, if for no other reason than it's darn entertaining.
  6. LauedGiind Jedi Knight

star 2
    That would definitely be cool with the Buffy episode. I was looking at that list above and saw that Monty Python and the Holy Grail was coming on screen in July. Maybe that white rabbit will look a little more scarier on the big screen. I would be interested in going to that.
  7. bwing53 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Back in high school (when it was The Tosa theater), I knew someone who worked there, and it was like $200 for one night. That was, however, before it became posh with the couches and such. If we could physically do it, I'd throw in for it no questions asked.

Jason
  8. SySnootles Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm trying to find out how much it would be... I'll keep you all posted.

One of the questions the assistand manager asked me was how many people would be attending. It would not be a bad idea to try and get some kind of head count. I said at least two dozen just to give him a number. Do you all think that's pretty accurate? This is not just for us... if any other FF group wants to make the trek, they'd be more than welcome. I know my friend Heather would definitely go, and some of Cally's friends would be there as well.

Sound reasonable? Keep in mind this is no where near a done deal. I don't even know if we would be allowed to show a television episode there. There may be copyrite laws prohibiting that. We'll have to wait and see.
  9. LauedGiind Jedi Knight

star 2
  10. SySnootles Jedi Knight

star 3
    Okay, here's the latest info on the rental of the Rosebud. I'll refrain from telling you my opinion, but I'm curious as to everyone elses.

"First off I would have to check on showing Buffy to see if that is ok. While I am doing that I thought I would give you our prices to see if you would be able to feasibly make a go of this with a rather small group.

The cost for a Sat or Sun afternoon (being out by 5:00) for the rental is $900.00. That covers the use of the space only. There would also be $200.00 for the use of our projection/video equipment and $120.00 for the staff prices based on the 3 hour time that you gave me."

So, what do you all think?
  11. ToxicNed Grand Poobah of Madison WI - FF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I could come up with a euphanism that would get me banned in response to those prices... =\
  12. A_New_HopeLily Jedi Knight

star 1
  13. LauedGiind Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ouch! I got out my trusty calculator and that is just insane for a three hour span.
  14. Auraveda Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah... I don't think that's going to happen. It was a nice idea though.
  15. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    August:
    The Big Lebowski
    Shakespeare In Love
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    Mullholland Drive
    Fargo

I'd like to see just about all of these. Who's with me?
  16. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It's August. Time for a bumpawarrump.
  17. solo414 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm not sure how many I can make b/c of my show, but I'd love to see Shakes and Indy.
  18. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  19. LauedGiind Jedi Knight

star 2
    When is Indiana Jones playing? I'll definitely go to that one.
  20. JAKEFETT Jedi Knight

star 2
    I didn't see it listed on the website but

the Matrix Reloaded starts Friday August

15th. :cool: I'm not sure about Indy.
  21. Bishop76 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Matrix Reloaded sucked.

Jeff
  22. Mauler_II Jedi Knight

star 3
    Stop mincing words Jeff - what do you REALLY think?

23. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  24. SySnootles Jedi Knight

star 3
    Six words:

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
  25. solo414 Jedi Master

star 4
    Four words: Friday night, I'm there.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.