main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Midnight Showing of Episode III Planning Thread - Line forms at 5pm per Malco

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Mar 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btuck15

btuck15 Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2005
    what time is everyone planning on getting there?

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    btuck15 posted on 5/2/05 10:54am
    hey everybody i just went and purchased tickets this morning at paradiso for the midnite showing and the people their told me it doesnt matter what your tickets say whether they are for the 1201 or the 1202 showing. its all about where you are in line.just wanted to give everyone a heads up in case you were planning on waiting to show up
    [hr][/blockquote]

Fights urge to say.... "I told ya so." [face_mischief][face_tongue]

3. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    UmmmmHmmmmm.

We'll be getting there as early as possible. I'm shooting for around 3 if possible.

A few rules, folks:

With the crowds that the theater will have, there will be no holding places in line. I saw firsthand just how ugly people can get about it at CIII, and, I can tell you that I'd get pissed off if I waited in a line for 5 hours and five folks decide to mosey in an hour or two before the show and get in front of me with their buddy. With this said, don't expect to have someone hold you a place. Get there early. It's every man for himself.

Once you're in line, get friendly with those around you so it won't be a problem if you need to grab some grub or go to the bathroom.

Also, if you do have one person joining you who just can't be there with you the entire time, make sure you do talk to the folks around you and make sure they don't have a problem with it. Usually if you're up front with people and you only have one person joining you, then folks are cool about it. (Especially if that person happens to be bringing snacks for you and your new line buddies.)

4. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    Yes, bribery can be a powerful persuader!

5. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Bribery is our friend.

6. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Malco Home office 901-761-3480

7. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Everyone call Malco's home office and ask if the 12:01 showing at the Paradiso is in digital. If they can't tell you, tell them you chose the Paradiso since it was their "flagship" theater and you figured they'd have the most advanced technology, which they should be advertising to the hilt. If they say it isn't, ask them who you need to speak to in order to get your money back. Tell them that it was important to the director, and it's that important to you. Ask them why in the hell they'd put tickets on sale in advance if they couldn't tell you which format the showing is in. Tell them that other major theater chains can provide them with information. Ask them why they can't when they consider themselves in the same league?

The word from Cordova is that they won't know until a week beforehand if they'll have it in digital (so we can assume the same for the other theaters as well), but the home office knows. Call them and let them know that you want digital.

And finally, tell any and everyone you know to boycott all concessions at Malco theaters for not only this showing, but all future showings of ROTS (and other films, too.) We've always heard that concessions are where theaters make their real money, not from showing films. Make them hurt. Grab that large purse or sling pack and throw you some cokes and snacks in there. Don't give them any more money than absolutely necessary.

8. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Check out the main page of the SMT site everyone.

Also, I sent a link to John Beifus, the movie reviewer of the Commercial Appeal. A little bad press for Malco may not hurt.

9. Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    i'm almost afraid to not do that now, tim...

you seem very disappointed and a little bit scary ;)

i do agree, however.

10. blackdogotaku

blackdogotaku Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2004
    i talked to a bunch of ppl that i kno who work at malco and they sed that actually all the other cineplexes are hoping to get digital, but dont know if they will until a week or two b4 the flick opens. and that malco is just playing it safe.
    sounds like crap, but u never kno

11. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Dear Rhonda:

Tickets are already on sale for REVENGE OF THE SITH. There will be midnight showings at MANY Malco Theatres! There will be digital video presentations at our Cordova Cinema in the Memphis area and Rogers Cinema in Arkansas.

Alan

Email from Alan Dent from Malco website.

12. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    The jerk pretty much just copied and pasted, didn't he? Look at what I got:

Dear Tim,

There will be midnight showings at MANY Malco Theatres but there will be digital video presentations only at our Cordova Cinema in the Memphis area and Rogers Cinema in Arkansas.

Alan

Anybody want to make any suggestions regarding how to put your tickets up for sale?

MALCO SUCKS!

I sent Mr. Denton a reply:

Thanks for telling everyone now that we?ve all purchased tickets. I take it that Malco won?t be offering refunds to all of the moviegoers who made the mistake of relying on them to be true to their word when they said, (and I quote directly from your website), ?Malco has always been on the cutting edge of technology? and ?We like to align ourselves with best-in-class operators??

Thanks. I could go to just about any theater in town and get the same experience you?ll be giving me at the Paradiso.

My eyes are turning yellow. I can feel it.

13. DarthMule

DarthMule Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2003
    Is digital REALLY worth all that trouble? I already picked up my tix for me, Antone, and Janet for the Paradiso already. They're already having trouble finding a way to get rid of their Muvico tickets in order to have purchased these tickets to go to Paradiso to be with us. I don't think they wanna have to get rid of 2 more tickets.

I'm sticking at Paradiso. Hope others might be there with us, digital or not.

But, I have a digital watch somewhere if that counts...?

14. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    The people at Malco are idiots - to put it nicely. [face_plain]

However - I did not see AOTC in digital the first time and I survived. ;)

Did see it the second time in digital and it was better - not only because of the quality/extras, but because I could actually sit back and absorb the movie without the sensory overload associated with the first viewing. I've been saying for months that I'll be under the theatre seat before the end of ROTS anyway. Don't guess digital matters if your hands are over your eyes. [face_laugh]

15. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Robert spoke to a lady with Malco today and tried to convince her to rope us off a section of seats. Unfortunately, his efforts were met with nothing but contempt. (As mine were with the same lady.) When he told her that a lot of us would be there in costume, she started whining that we can't bring lightsabers.

Pack your lightsabers, my little Jedi and Sithlings. We no longer give a rat's rear end what the folks at Malco want.

16. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    I'm for sticking it out at the Paradiso since we've already got tickets. I'm sure I'll catch it on a digital like the Cordova that weekend or the following week.

But I do think it sucks that the newbie cinema won't be showing digital. I was surprized a couple months ago they were showing 'Meet The Fockers' on their biggest screen- I guess it was because it had more seats.

17. DarthMule

DarthMule Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2003
    Okay. I was just getting scared for a second there. Everybody left me alone ONCE already...darnit!

heh heh...(working for that guilt trip)

Feel guilty yet?

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I've gone to the Dark side. Didn't you notice the yellow eyes?

If any of you have friends or connections in the media, send them a link to the main page of our website (www.suspiciousmindtrick.net/main.htm). Maybe a reporter will be bored enough to cover it. If we can get it, a little bad press for Malco would go a long way. I'm not beyond shaming these jerks into giving us what we want.

19. blackdogotaku

blackdogotaku Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2004
    http://web.commercialappeal.com/newgo/forms/letters.htm

send a letter to the editor! i cannot believe the whole situation with malco, grr >_< is it possible to force choke a corporation??
    anyways, i dont kno anyone in teh media so i send a letter to the editor of the commercial appeal. im sure the will pay attention if they get lots of the same letters, so y'know, send some.

20. Schmootika

Schmootika Jedi Master star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    Did someone say "Media"??? I might have a little pull there.....Let me get this big bag of tricks out and I'll see what kind of heat I can put on 'em.

I have emailed both appeal editors, the Flyer, all the of TV stations and I will make sure a "certain" radio station gets a copy of the website. I copied all the info from the website and pasted it into each of the emails. Maybe it will help.

21. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Hollie: Oh, that's right.... You do have a little pull, don't you? :p :)

Philip: I appreciate your efforts, but The Commercial Appeal hasn't been our friend. Last year, they stated we were the local Star Trek fan club in an article about MSC. Then, they advertised our Summer Film Series as happening at Summer Drive In, and then they failed to feature them on the calendars for the area Appeal editions. (And I don't think they ever printed a correction in either case.) I've given up on them when it comes to our club. We can buy $22 worth of postcards and get more people in the club than we can by relying on the CA.

22. kellrob

kellrob Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2004
    For Rob, Jeff, and myself, we will be going to Paridiso. Not only because we already bought our tix there, but thats where we all decided we would go. I have never been there and probably won't go back after this. Makes me want to boycott Malco all-together, but what other options do we have???

All Hail Tim and his Amazing Outdoor Life-Size Movie Screen!!! (where we can bring in our own food and drinks!)

Can't wait for drive-in nights!

(I'm pretty sure this Karen woman from Malco won't be there, so everybody bring your lightsabers and blasters)

23. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    So be it! Lightsabers will abound!

And our concession stand at drive-in nights only charges $18 for a large popcorn instead of $23.

:p

Hey- At least we know that our showings will be in digital! Pretty sad that we're one step ahead of Malco on that.

24. Darth_RobDog

Darth_RobDog Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2004
    Speaking of media, I'm also trying to get Channel 3 to show up at premiere. If we can get some news-hound, in fron tof us, maybe we can broaden our dark side toward Malco!!

25. jsp2000

jsp2000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2002
    Since I shoot news for Action News 5, I'm going to ignore that last statement! ;-0

I know we've taken live shots of lines in the past for big movies, and did a couple of stories on TPM back in the day (and long before I worked for them), but I don't know if this'll gather much more coverage than a brief mention on the day it comes out.

By the way, I picked up my tickets at the Paradiso tonight. I think their internet system is flawed, too...it looked as if I got someone else's tickets (though the number I recieved and the showtimes were correct). They had workers out front applying a fresh coat of paint to the exterior of the building. Got to get it looking spic and span for the big night!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.