main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Midnight Showing of Episode III Planning Thread - Line forms at 5pm per Malco

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Qui-Gon Tim, Mar 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMule

DarthMule Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2003
    *insert embarassed smiley here*

Well, I'm accounting for the slow drivers that'll be gettin' in my way!

2. kellilla

kellilla Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Yay, Paradiso! Can't wait.
    I have materials for a certain costume I've been putting off making, I may try to finish it in time... it all depends on how lazy am I between then and now :p

3. rebomax

rebomax Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2005
    Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I'm interested in the midnight showing. I would like to join you if that's ok.

Now... I'd love for this to be at the Paradiso, but are you sure it has a digital prjector? I know it's the newest Malco theater and is supposed to have the latest and greatest, but looking at the DLP page from TI, it seems like the only two theaters with DLP in Memphis are The Malco Cordova and Majestic.

Go to this link and do a search by zip code:
    http://www.dlp.com/dlp_cinema/dlp_cinema_theater_search.asp

Maybe the information posted there is not updated... I don't know.. wehere did the "Paradiso = Digital" come from?

mr

4. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    I spoke with the Paradiso last week before I went to CIII regarding the midnight showing and digital screenings. If anyone would care to double-check this, then please feel free to do so. I'd hate to be wrong about it, especially since digital is the way to go with this film. (Rick McCallum proved that to all of us at CIII. This movie looks absolutely, breathtakingly fantastic in digital.)

And anyone who wants to join us to see EIII is more than welcome to come along. Details will be posted here in these forums and on the website.

5. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Paradiso Features

Malco Cordova

I have no idea what any of this means, though. ;) Sounds like only Paradiso has THX. If they have the digital screen, that will be the best place to go. IF they sell tickets early. And they have wine. ;)

6. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    I've just emailed the Paradiso with all of the pertinent questions regarding this showing in order to confirm what I was told in a telephone conversation last week. If I get no response by mid-day tomorrow, I'll go to the theater and talk to management.

The Malco website says nothing in the Cordova and Majestic features regarding digital projection systems in those theaters. So, if anyone is planning on attending the midnight showing in either of those theaters, you may want to double-check and make sure that they do indeed feature digital projection.

7. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    Yeah, I noticed the same thing at dlp.com. Hopefully they are just behind the times, because I *thought* Robots was in digital when we were there....

Anyway, crap upon crap, it looks like it won't matter as far as midnight goes for us.

As I feared would happen, we have a 2-day meeting at work that Wed and Thursday, so no taking off. And with living an hour away, going to a midnight show that last 2.5 hours and then driving home means getting to bed around 4AM, and then getting back up at 6AM to get back to work. Not gonna happen.
    I know, I know, Tim "Dude, just quit." Sorry, can't do it.

Darth Real-life wins this time. There's always a chance the meetings will get postponed, but it probably won't be until after the tickets are sold out, so the best we could do would be to tailgate with you guys before the show and then head home.

<sigh>

Oh well, we'll still see it, probably later on opening day, and there's still a whole bunch of other SMT stuff to do together, right? right?

-Joe

8. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Always.

And, if you're thinking that there's a good chance that your meeting will be moved, you could always go ahead and purchase your tix. Then, if all you get to do it join us in line, you could scalp them.

9. StarBlazerM31

StarBlazerM31 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    Finally, the wait is over.

"The Paradiso does have two digital screens, including their largest auditorium (but not on the biggest screen in the house.)"

*cough*toldyou*cough*

Why do we care that the auditorium has lots of seats. It's the screen that matters, folks.

Are you guys really telling me you want to see this movie on a bitch screen the size of Jon Bon Jovi's personal screening room just so you can be at the flagship theater with THX?

Ladies and gents, I know I'm probably talking to myself here, but here me out. If nothing else, shouldn't we be talking to Malco management about having Digital (DLP) projection, but not having the most high profile Digital film (and most important film of the year) on their largest screen at their supposed flagship site? It's simply ridiculous that you would want to see this on anything but the largest screen possible, guys.

Anyone wants a quality Digital experience (and yes, really *beep*, old seats), you can join us at the Majestic. Bring your own crack cocaine and firearms.

DOES IT FRIGGIN' MATTER?! I'm going to the Paradiso 'cause it's closer to where I live. If any of you guys are there, hey, it's a plus. But it doesn't matter where EVERYONE goes to see the darn movie! If ya wanna go to the Majestic, fine. Go, and have fun. If you want to go to Movico, fine, go and have fun. It doesn't matter if the screen is digital or not! Hell, if Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith is played on a home movie projector on someone's *BEEEEEP*ing garage door, I'll go see it! SCREEN DOES NOT MATTER TO ME!

Thank you. I'll go lay down now and take my prozac and Excedrine before I get yelled at.

10. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    To Grace you listen. It doesn't matter who you see it with or where... Just see it.

NOTE: And I must remind people that the use of certain profanity is a violation of TFN's TOS. If you've posted anything as such, I'll give you 24 hours to edit your post. After that, I call in our RSA. Remember that use of such objectionable language on these boards can cause you to be banned.

11. Timewalker

Timewalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2004
    Well, digital might matter, as Lucas has said he intends to continue mesing with digital version even after sending the film version out.

-Joe

12. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    This is true, and one of the reasons why seeing it in digital is important. After the little demonstration we saw at CIII, the digital is nothing short of stunning when compared to film.

13. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Let's all calm down, folks. It's a movie. ;)

14. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    It sucks that we have to constantly remind fans of that fact.

A TREMOR IN THE FORCE: I just received a call from Malco. Apparently, even they haven't nailed down for certain which theaters will host the midnight showing and which ones will indeed feature the film in digital. However, tickets could go on sale online and in-house as early as this Friday, and the information we need will supposedly be on the website. The only thing for certain right now is that there will be a 10-ticket limit for ROTS. So, keep an eye on www.malco.com for information.

For now, the plan remains for the SMT. However, if the Paradiso does not meet our criteria, I will immediately post the change here on the boards.

Have your pocketbooks ready this Friday, folks. Tickets will sell out extremely fast.

15. gooshy

gooshy Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 27, 2005
    The digital screen at parasido is actually very large. They usually have the screen with curtains on both sides to have a somewhat rectangular shape when they are showing non-digital movies on it, but when it is a digital movie they are pulled back to reveal its massiveness. Trust me, paradiso will be showing EPIII on both digital and their largest screen. I will be there in TK opening night.

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Welcome, Gooshy. Were the 501st invited to Paradiso? If so, you gotta share your source of info. :p I contacted Malco about participating in the midnight showing months ago and got the brush-off.

17. gooshy

Apr 27, 2005
    I believe there will be a few 501st there (at least those in the memphis area for sure). As for the screen issue, I'm just saying that out of personal experience. I'm going to be there tomorrow, I'll ask the manager personally about the screens on opening night. If you want me to ask anymore questions, post them and I'll ask.

18. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Thanks, Gooshy. I appreciate that. Ask the manager if they will indeed host a midnight showing, when the ticket sales for the Midnight showing will begin, as well as if the showing will be considered as Wednesday, 5/18/05 at 12:00 am or Thursday, 5/19/05 at 12 am. (Believe it or not, it matters a lot. People are online talking about how they screwed up and bought tickets to the midnight showing on 5/19/05, only to discover that their tickets were good for the day after the midnight showing!) Also, ask them if they do indeed have digital projection in their theater. (I asked about digital and their hosting of the midnight showing when I talked to the Paradiso last week, and I was told yes on both counts. A confirmation will put my mind at ease, and would be greatly appreciated!)

Also, Gooshy.... Got a real name?

-Tim

19. gooshy

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, I'm positive they have a digital screen. It's the first screen on the left side of the theater facing the parking lot ;) That's where they showed Ep II opening night as well. My name is Jon, btw.

20. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Nice to meet you, Jon. I appreciate your offer to gather information. And welcome to the SMT.

21. TK_1427

TK_1427 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    I'm helping Jon build his armor and I invited him to the event Tim. I do believe somewhere in another thread I mentioned that. But I could be wrong. By the way, welcome to the boards Jon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chuck

22. gooshy

Apr 27, 2005
    Thx, Chuck. Hopefully we can get together this Friday or sometime this weekend to work on the armor if it works for both of us. Unfortunately after CIII, I was bogged down with work so I wasn't able to get with you this week (4 term papers), but since Friday is my last official day of class I'm sure we can bust out the rest of it sometime soon, but whatever works for you Chuck. I think Ill make it out to the southhaven walmart event as well as long as it doesn't conflict with graduation (which I think is on the 15th, so it probably wont).

23. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    The tickets are onsale now, folks. I just saw it on the Malco website. It looks like Paradiso and Majestic are it for the midnight showing. The website says nothing about digital for either, though.

Get your tickets early! It's every man for himself.

EDIT: Paradiso can't tell me if it will be in digital or not. They only know it'll be on their large-format screen. The Majestic won't answer the phone.

Jason: Thanks for looking out for us and posting the other thread!

I just ordered my tickets for the 5/19/05 12:01 am show at the Paradiso. Since no one at Malco can tell me anything useful, I'm using the Force and taking a chance.

24. kellilla

kellilla Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Got mine!

25. IrishThunder

IrishThunder Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2001
    HAHA, Victory is mine! I got my tickets before all of y..... wait a minute!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.