main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Austin,TX Midnight Toy Sales in Austin?

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Texapocalypse, Mar 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texapocalypse

Texapocalypse Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2001
    I saw a post: Midnight, April 22nd at the 360 Toys R Us.

OK, just to clarify: does that mean Sunday night/Monday Morning? or Monday night/Tuesday morning?

2. BigChris

BigChris Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2000
    Monday night/Tuesday Morning I think.

3. infallible

infallible Jedi Youngling

Mar 11, 2002
    Actually, I'd assume that it's Sunday night since the toys first go on sale on the 22nd (Monday), then it makes sense to do it Sunday.

4. BigChris

Mar 11, 2000
    Actually, the release date is April 23rd, a Tuesday. This has been confirmed by Lucasfilm. So for a midnight release would happen on a Monday night/Tuesday morning.

Big Chris

5. Tandeer

Tandeer Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2001
    Any particular TRU in Austin? I'm sure there has to be more than one! *S*
    Oh, and do ya'll remember me telling you that the Wal-mart in Marble Falls is a Distribution Center? They have always had the hardest to find things every time I stop there. *S* I may make a trip down after work that day. *S* It's no farther for me than to come down to Austin. *S*

6. infallible

Mar 11, 2002
    My bad...I got my days confused and jumped up a day (wishful thinking, I suppose).

The best TRU in Austin is that one at 360 & 71. One of their guys (who I think is their "blue world leader" aka boy toy dept manager) is a SW collector himself, and he keeps that store well stocked with SW stuff (they still have a good display even when every other TRU just has two columns of pegs, half of which are empty).

I was going to ask: Where is everyone going to go for their stuff? That TRU seems an obvious choice, but I'm thinking it may be too crowded. For Ep1, I went to the Wal-Mart off of 35 and 183, and it was fine. But I don't know if the Mart will do as big of a push for Ep2 as they did for Ep1.

Has anyone talked to any toy dept managers at the Mart or TRU? I was thinking about calling to see what the plans were for the stores.

Personally, I'd love to go to the TRU off of 360, but I think it'll be too crowded. I'd just as soon go to one of the Wal-Marts. Opinions?

7. BigChris

Mar 11, 2000
    I would check as well, but it doesn't matter to me, because I'm going to buy much, I'm going for the event itself!

Big Chris

8. Grendelbob

Grendelbob Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 5, 2000
    In case you need a list of the upcoming figures, check the Hasbro Flyer at RebelScum.com

*UPDATE*
    Do not read the backs of the carded fig on RebelScum.com if you are avoiding spoilers. I didn't see much of anything in the flyer itself aside from just the figures.

9. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    Store #7010 So. Austin, TX

This is what is listed as the TRU in Austin participating in the Midnight Madness.

So, which is that?

10. BigChris

Mar 11, 2000
    That is the South Austin TRU, in the Brodie Oaks Shopping Center at 360 and 71.

Big Chris

11. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    Oookay, gotcha. Gracias.

That isn't exactly the most centrally and conveniently located TRU in the Austin area, but it will have to do.

12. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    I didn't do this for TPM. How many people show up for this stuff? Realistically, what time do I need to get there?

13. neumera

neumera Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm not sure. We'll be discussing this at the Saturday meeting and then we'll post what we're going to do.

-Anne

14. Jedi_Leroy

Jedi_Leroy Jedi Master star 1

Apr 3, 2001
    So when is everybody going?

15. DarkJediPrincess

DarkJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2002
    At the meeting, it was decided most folks were going to get there around 7pm. Some said they were going to wear costumes. Some were coming to buy, others to give moral support and soak up the pre-AOTC atmosphere. =)

DPJ

16. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    7?! Wow, there's no way I can go that early. Ah well, I suppose I will have to take my chances getting there really late.

Are that many people expected to be there?

17. Jedi_Leroy

Apr 3, 2001
    Hey guys,

Well, I'm officially first in line. My wife and I started camping outside the TRU about 2:30 yesterday afternoon.

We're planning on making cookies for tonight, we're so excited!

18. infallible

Mar 11, 2002
    How are you first in line? I was at the TRU at 6 AM today, and no one else was there. They didn't start giving numbers till 9:30 AM today, so how did you get yours?

19. Jedi_Leroy

Apr 3, 2001
    After about 8 hours of camping (with nobody else showing up) they came out and gave us the first ticket! Incredibly nice of them (my wife is a big fan, but wasn't terribly excited about sleeping in the back of our Explorer lol). We're going to frame the ticket!!!

Anybody else excited yet!?!?

20. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    I am so pumped! I absolutely can't wait. We have numbers 58 & 59, so I don't have any idea how good or bad that is. [face_plain] But, I'm excited just the same!

21. ObiJuan70

ObiJuan70 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    Greetings my friends in Austin, John from SAFF chiming in :)

This morning was awesome !!!

I got the first spot in line (man, are my feet in bigtime pain !!) - I got the bare minimum of what I wanted and I met a bunch of new friends there in line . . .

I hope everyone in Austin had as much fun at your gathering for the Toys as we did in our lineup . . .

Take Care Friends !!!

John "ObiJuan" Laurel

22. Tandeer

Apr 7, 2001
    *chuckles darkly* I may have missed out on the excitment and fun of standing in line and fighting for toys, BUT... I walked into my Wal-Mart in Cove today at 4:30 pm and got one of everything, plus allot of vehicals and such and I was the only one on the toy aile for over an hour! Bless Wally World for layaway because I spent over 400!... The only thing I am missing is Count Dooku, Dexter Jettster and the Geonosian Warrior.

Does anyone know where I can get a complete list of the figures that were released for The Power of the Jedi? I thought until that meeting where Grendel was selling some that I had them all. I'd love to have a list to take to C. 2. with me.

23. infallible

Mar 11, 2002
    I was at TRU at midnight, and went to the Wal-Mart at 35 and 183 after (at about 12:40). It seemed like the shelves hadn't even been touched. It was just me and this drunk guy there.

But the question I have is: Has anyone found the Tusken female, Boba Fett, Capt Typho, Shaak Ti, Plo Koon, the Royal Guard, Taun We, or Luminara Unduli? They didn't have them at TRU, and I was told there that they hadn't gotten them. But they weren't at the 35/183 Mart, nor at the Lakeline Target or Mart. Is it the whole city that was shorted on these, or am I just going to the wrong stores?

24. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    I bought Obi, Ani (Hanger Duel), Padme, Dooku, Jango, and Yoda at TRU last night.

Then, I went to the south Mopac Wal-Mart & the Wal-Mart on 35 at William Cannon and I bought Boba Fett & the Tuskan Raider. I also went to the Wal-Mart on 35 at 183 and Target on Ohlen today.

Of those stores, the only figures I have not seen are: Royal Guard, Plo Koon, and Luminara.

Boba Fett and Captain Typho were at the Mopac Wal-Mart, the Tuskan female was at the William Cannon Wal-Mart, and I believe Shaak Ti was at both of those.

25. Tandeer

Apr 7, 2001
    If ya'll want to take a trip up here to Copperas Cove, our Wal-mart has them all and in large stock. Like I said, the only ones I didn't get were Dooku, The Geno Warrior and Dexter. They have allot of the specialty packs as well as the vechials. *S*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.