main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Might finances have helped kill the Empire?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Vortex, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Darth Vortex

Darth Vortex Jedi Knight star 1

May 19, 2013
    While we don't know for sure, it's probably a safe bet that many Imperial projects, especially the Death Stars, were not easy on the government budget. This might not have been much of a problem while the Empire held a political monopoly over the galaxy, as the Emperor could simply take what he could not tax or borrow. After Endor, however, I imagine that the Imperial budget might well have been in shambles. With a decreasing tax base and and various sectors of the economy being seized by various factions for their own private gain, various financial institutions might have shied away from doing business with the Empire, as the Empire could no longer pay back its loans nor make use of any effective strong arm tactics to force investment. The lack of investment would have crippled the Imperial economy, leading most likely to a decaying standard of living which would have brought on even more discontent and uprising, which the Empire could not afford in lieu of the Rebellion's advancements. Breakaway warlord fiefdoms were most likely extraction economies with corrupt, medieval-style tax codes that probably stagnated over time. Political instability within the Empire would have further damaged the economy, with decreased investment coupled with wrecked infrastructure. A poorer economy would have meant less money to pay stormtroopers and build Star Destroyers, leaving the shrinking Empire with less and less of an ability to fight off the Republic.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I concur. Already financing the first Death Star must have considerably stressed the budget of the Empire.

I'd go as far to speculate that the Death Star would not have only been used to destroy planets being (suspected to be) sympathetic to the cause of the Alliance. I'm confident it would have also been used to punish planets that didn't meet their quota in terms of paying their taxes.

Of course, after the destruction of Alderaan, the cat was out of the bag and I'm certain that Imperial member worlds had a good idea that they'd be financing an instrument designed to enslave their populations even further.

And I think there is a clear indication in ROJ that the budget of the Empire was in dire straits: Moff Jerjerrod complained to Vader that he needed more men to finish the second Death Star on schedule. Apparently the result of severe budget cuts. ;)

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree, it's common in wartime for one side to lose traction due to financial issues, especially given how expensive war is for any government.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Maybe they should have considered taxation of outlying trade routes. Cuz that always leads to interesting stories.

5. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Maybe over burdening taxation of trade routes is one of the reasons that contributed to the rise of the rebellion. ;)

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    In the deleted Biggs scenes, Biggs says, "What good is all your uncle's work if it's taken over by the Empire? You know they're starting to nationalize commerce in the central systems. It won't be long before your uncle is merely a tenant, slaving for the greater glory of the Empire."

Sarge likes this.
  7. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016