main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Mike 'Dorkman' Scott Injured, Needs Our Help

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by LAJ_FETT , Oct 2, 2014.

1. Calgamer

Calgamer Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2012
    Here's hoping to a speedy recovery for Michael. And here's hoping to a long, well-deserved sentence for the driver.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    FB update:

For Michael's birthday, his family took him out for lunch. Hs nephew made him smile and laugh a lot, and Michael really enjoyed himself. He also had cake and blew out his candles. It was a very special day for all of us.
    Thank you all for the birthday wishes to him and continued support.

Darkslayer and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  3. The.Chosen.One

The.Chosen.One Jedi Knight

Mar 20, 2015
    Ya same here hope he gets better

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    FB Update: After weeks of wrangling with his insurance company, we were able to move Michael to a nationally ranked rehab center on Friday. Instead of getting 5 hours of therapy a week, this facility provide 3 hours of rehab per day, six days a week. We hope this intensive therapy will accelerate Michael's recovery.

Darkslayer and TX-20 like this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    FB Update:
    Michael is progressing and getting stronger everyday. Today was the first time he took his walker outside and he walked about 2 blocks!
    Every step makes a difference on the road to recovery. We are all so very proud of him.

[​IMG]

6. James T Kirk

James T Kirk Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015
    Hope he continues to progress well and there are no serious long-term symptoms. #worldsbestboss

7. roguesquadpod

roguesquadpod Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2014
    We at the Rogue Squadron Podcast have Mike in our prayers as we are fans of their youtube videos. Get well soon.

Darkslayer likes this.
  8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Good news on the FB page!

After seven months in four different medical facilities, Michael goes home today!
    He will be living with his mother and sister as he continues his long recovery. He is enrolled in a long-term, outpatient therapy program, which will allow him to continue his recovery. We are pushing for 3-4 hours of therapy at least three days per week.
    His mother has been trained by the therapists on exercises he can do at home on the days he does not have therapy sessions.
    We will continue to update this page with his recovery and ask that you all continue to keep him in your thoughts. Michael has come a long way in such a short amount of time, but he still has a very long road ahead of him. And with love and support, we know that he is going to continue this momentum towards recovery.
    Today is an amazing day on this journey!

9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

I can't like this enough.

Darkslayer likes this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    From the FB page:

Michael has enjoyed being home the past week. He is enjoying more freedom, like going outside when he would like, he plays with his niece and nephew or enjoys watching them play, and he seems to be more at peace and much happier now.
    Michael was evaluated for outpatient therapy on Thursday, and will start his therapy this Tuesday.
    It has been a week of adjustment for all of us, but things are working out well and everyone is very happy to be together.
    [​IMG]

11. SOLARISENSHI

SOLARISENSHI Jedi Knight star 1

May 20, 2015
    man really hurts to see one of your heroes hurt like this I can definitely understand as a second degree black belt skateboarder and snowboarder I can understand injury very well my wishes hopes and prayers go out to him

Darkslayer likes this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    FB Update:

Michael had a nice week. He had visitors over for dinner, went to Target with his niece and nephew, had therapy, started walks down the neighborhood sidewalk, and will have a nice dinner at the Olive Garden tonight to celebrate a family birthday.
    [​IMG]

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    FB update:

Michael is now strong and steady enough to walk without the arm extenders on the walker!

[​IMG]

14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    FB Update:

Michael received a care package this week from the people he worked with prior to the accident. It included many things he enjoyed, like this sweater, hat and glasses. He was excited to try them on, and asked that I take his picture.
    He said he looks so good, that I should share it with all of you! I made sure to ask him again, if he really felt comfortable with this photo being shared with thousands of people, and he said yes.
    So with his permission, here he is!
    We still have a very VERY long road to recovery, and physically he is progressing quickly. Mentally, is a different challenge. And that is much slower. But this smile makes it all worth it.

[​IMG]

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    FB Update:

Michael has been making many small but important steps lately. He can now walk with a walker that has 4 wheels, for short periods. This requires a lot of balance and control which slowly but surely he is working at getting back. He can also transfer from his wheelchair to other chairs, such as restaurant booths and the couch, all on his own.
    He has been working with specific apps on his iPad and we have seen improvements in his speech. He is also starting to type on the computer, which previously he did not want to try.
    Also, he is now talking about getting back out in the world and doing more. Museums, shows, parks, restaurants. Previously, he seemed very self conscious about being out and about. We now have a list of places and things he would like to explore here in LA. We will start crossing things off tomorrow with the first thing on his list, Benihanas.
    His big goal he is working towards is being able to attend ComicCon next year. It's a huge goal since he is uneasy in crowds and becomes overstimulated easily. But he saw the coverage on the news and really wants to go. So we will be working up to more crowded and noisy places this upcoming year and hopefully be able to get there next summer. Maybe even without a wheelchair
    We are so happy with his progress and determination to recover.

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Another update:

Crossing the first outing off his list. Benihana!
    [​IMG]
    Li

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    FB update:

Here is a message written by Michael to all of you.
    "Now I am back. It was long enouh before I come be done but now I am want to say thanks. Thank you for being a part of this and thank you for staying. I am very happy you have stayed and I go on to be more careful in the future. Thanks for staying around while I tested."
    Thank you all.

18. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I've been away for too long and am just now reading about this whole thing. I wish Michael the best and hope that he continues to improve every day!

[:D]

Darkslayer likes this.
  19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    There are a few updates on the Facebook page along with pics - they took a trip to the aquarium. Also there is an explanation of the speech problem he's been diagnosed with. See the updates here.

20. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    This may not be the thread for it, but was there ever any information on the person who did this? The situation and how it may or may not have resolved?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    There was an early entry on the FB page:

Update on the driver: We have found out that the driver was admitted to the hospital on the day of the accident as well. There was a police officer outside their hospital room as the driver was under arrest even before they left the hospital. It was reported to us that the cause of the accident was texting while driving.

I don't think there has been anything else.

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    FB Update:

Michael using his 4 wheel walker! Go Michael Go!

[​IMG]

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    FB Update:

Dinner tonight at Ruby's in Redondo Beach. Look at those smiles smile emoticon good times.
    [​IMG]

24. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I can't like this enough

Darkslayer and MarcJordan like this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    From the FB page:

Recently, Michael went to the barber for his hair, trimmed his beard and today, he picked up his new pair of glasses!
    [​IMG]