main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mild Language and Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    If my memory is correct, in the OT the words "damn" and "hell" were used. Also "hell" was used twice (though later censored) in the original airing of "Rookies" in TCW. And of course the word is used in the older EU.

Should any forms of mild language then appear in Rebels? Yes I know its a kids show, and owned by Disney, though personally I think the word "hell" could fit as a word (damn may be a little to much) if used in Rebels (perhaps as a rare word, which would make sense). I'm sure some of young kids who are allowed to watch Rebels have (or are allowed to see it) seen 1 movie if not more of the OT, so I don't see a big deal in putting the word "hell" in Rebels occasionally.

What do you think?

2. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    One of the troopers let out an OMG when Ziro started complaining about something.

There were a few damns in TCW that I remember but I can't remember where exactly. I think it was mostly in the earlier seasons.

gracesonnet likes this.
  3. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Right now, I pretty much doubt there will be any cursing in Rebels (I know they have used words like "hell" in some older Disney works, but current Disney is pretty clean language-wise and I think that will be transfered over to Rebels, their new product).

4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    doesn't matter.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd rather hear real swear words than lame made-up ones. I definitely don't see the issue with an occasional "damn" or "hell".

6. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Those words, in a Disney show?.. You're kidding right?..

7. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Disney should farm out at least one live action series to HBO. Then we get SW with gritty realism. Lightsaber disembowelment, tortures such as "The Burning" using a blaster on low power, BDZ operations, and the full range of "F", "C" words etc.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

Lol, and I think you would find out real quick how many weak stomachs there are amongst Star Wars fandom and that the violence currently displayed in The GFFA is about as much as many are comfortable with.

Iron_lord and The Shadow Emperor like this.
  9. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I grew up with Christian parents, and I didn't see many scary movies when I was still young enough to be scared by them. If I saw anything that scared me, it was a bit accidental in nature. One was the invisible monster in Forbidden Planet, one of my dad's favorite movies. Another was an old show called Doc Savage, Man of Bronze. Those glowing green snakes that attack while you sleep... I had nightmares. But the one I remember most was Sleeping Beauty. In our household, "hell" was definitely a real place, and not a word to be uttered lightly. And I was watching this on VHS before most people would feel very comfortable cursing around a kid my age. So when Maleficent says, "Now you shall deal with me... and all the powers of HELL!" I was scared speechless. I didn't outwardly freak out, but inside I was definitely having a full-scale Pvt. Hicks-type panic event. "This ain't happenin', man! This ain't happenin'!"

Moral of the story, I guess, is there's always some kid somewhere who'll be shocked by anything, no matter how G-rated it may seem. If the goal is to be truly kid-friendly, you've gotta have the dial at zero. So I hope a few damns and hells are allowed.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    I always liked watching scary movies when I was a young kid. It was cool. That's what my grade school friends and I used to do when we would have people spend the night. Play outside when it was light outside and then when it was dark watch those Friday the 13th or Jason movies.

Probably a big reason why I have absolutely no problem with horror movies or scary movies at all now because growing up it was always viewed as a social thing to watch them and then talk the next day about how cool they were.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I was raised that way as well and it made me hypersensitive to media violence; I've had to learn to overcome that as an adult. I'm taking a different approach with my children; for the most part (with some exceptions) I allow them to watch shows/movies that they ask to watch, with instructions to turn it off if it bothers them. So far that has worked pretty well.

As far as language--I don't think any kid is going to become a sociopath by hearing "damn" or "hell" from a Star Wars character.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  12. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I always liked "Blast it!", which is a real phrase and sounds GFFA at the same time.

Hopefully any use of the EU swears have become Legend. Cringe!

13. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I'd be surprised to hear any mild language in Rebels. Yes I've heard hell in Disney movies. In Gargoyles Xanatos used the word hell but das anybody heard either damn or hell said on any recent Disney Channel shows?

14. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    I think we need to be careful to not make the mistake of associating the difficulty of handling gore or violence on television with any type of Christian beliefs. I went to a Catholic school up until highschool and we went to church every Sunday and I didn't have any problem with dealing with scary slasher flicks growing up. My friends at the time and I (who also went to that same school) would sit around and say how cool Freddy Kruger or Jason was. My brother who is still very very devout as an adult considers The Walking Dead (with all it's gore, violence, and psychotic behavior) to be one of his favorite shows as well.

The inability/or ability to handle gore or violence on television really is more about personal choices and interests than it is about how religious you are. Anybody who tries to say that those types of movies are unchristian like are really just creating an excuse for themselves because saying it is against my religious belief systems sounds better than saying that scary movies make me want to go hide in a corner.

If parents want to keep their kids away from that type of television/movies then that is fine. But I don't think parents should ever tell their kids that those movies are unchristian like simply because they personally don't like those types of movies.

cdgodin, rdhight, Revanfan1 and 2 others like this.
  15. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

That's not what I'm saying at all. I mean, I grew up to be a committed Christian, and I LOVE violence!

Uh, on TV.

Revanfan1, Iron_lord and darkchrono like this.
  16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Never will happen.

17. Rogue Five

Rogue Five Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 11, 2014
    Only one episode, Rookies, featured any swearing. And there were a ton of complaints from parents so they cut the two swear words from the re runs of that episode. I think it's safe to say Rebels will be language free, especially seeing as it's pointed at a younger audience.

18. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    To answer this thread's question I doubt it. If they wimped out over putting mild language in TCW after Rookies* then I doubt that Rebels will contain any mild language.

*I know one of the Ryloth episodes used the word hell. But that was only in the Director's cut so it really doesn't count.

You know I never understood why parents complained about the use of the word hell in Rookies considering that Star Wars had used that word before. Its not like the Clones or Anakin when he's in one of his rage modes suddenly started using language that would make a Deadwood character blush. Second, TCW was rated PG and infrequent use of language is okay at PG. I guess the parents who complained forgot that little memo.

Although to be fair it was kind of Cartoon Network's fault for not slapping an L (language) descriptor when Rookies originally aired. That's what they should have done. That way parents would have at least been warned that this particular episode was going to contain a little bit of bad language. In the end however it was stupid for parents to complain about PG language in a PG show that contains PG violence and PG themes in a PG show. What's next? Are people going to complain about R rated language in an R rated movie?! Oh the horror! :rolleyes:

19. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    If they can't make their cursing in Rebels sound as cool as the cursing in this little gem than they shouldn't even bother to try

From now on all cursing in animation projects should live up to the standards set by "Ellie is the little girl that broke your fn finger"

20. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I find it weird how parents made a big deal with the words "hell" being used in Rookies, but I have not heard any outrage of much more darker scenes throughout the series, particularly the scene which implies Maul murdering a bunch of kids.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Some parents are clearly bored and want something to complain about.

Or they are afraid their kids will repeat the word at school.

No, the phrase "You can't use that word and apparently Mommy needs to stop using it too" has never been uttered in my house...

22. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

To be honest I never have (nor ever will) understand how some people on here think some of the stuff shown in season 5 was that dark. They never showed any blood and they almost always very strategically panned the camera out as soon as anybody did get killed.

I don't have any issue with it at all but I do consider any type of cursing in cartoons to be of a more serious nature than a bloodless animation death

23. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I dunno man. The Lion King has no blood in it. Mufasa falls to his death and is trampled crumpled whiskers and all. But Mufasa getting murdered by his own brother who then proceeds to convince his own nephew he's the murderer and he should run away, leaving him to deal with all that guilt is pretty dark.

Season 5 and actually going as far back as Season 2 TCW is pretty dark for what TCW is. Sure if your going to compare it to Walking Dead or to a bloody cartoon/anime like say Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (If you haven't seen this or Elfin Lied or Claymore or Black Lagoon you haven't seen a bloody cartoon show where **** is a noun). its going to fall short. But what other Western Animation show on Cartoon Network showed a man commit suicide, clone getting cut in half albeit off screen but with the sound effect, or a teenager shot to death with a sniper rifle or run through with a dark saber? How about quad decapitations? Is there one on Disney Channel? Is there a show like this one Hub? Is there a show that take it this far on Nickelodeon? Hell Anakin torture Poggle to get info. And this isn't usually violence or grimdarked for the sake of it. Its just part of not toning down battle, war, and evulz.

I'll be surprised if we get as much violence in Rebels and really surprised to hear anything worked that 'Your an idiot' uttered as apposed to "Your a damn fool".

Circular Logic likes this.
  24. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Crink, kark, kriff, osik, di'kut, shab, baay shfat, droyk, farkled, feech, feke, ferglutz, fierfek, filswik, flarg, poodoo, floob, flott, flupp, frak, freg, frell, frink, frip, frizz, gartal, gfersh, haar'chak, jactna, kanushka, kest, krozit, kvark, mopak, munk, phwoar, pifgah, pifgot, rodder, rot, shavit, shebs, Sithspawn, skrag, snark, snigvold, stang, the entropy I can't, zyom

...and plenty more! :p

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  25. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Blast it, stop cussing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.