main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mild Language and Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    **** all that GFFA replacement word ****.

I want some ****ing swear words that have some real ****ing impact.

...OK, seriously...I expect some cartoon violence in Rebels but hey, it's a US show and therefore violence is shrugged at, whereas language and nudity are "ZOMG WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN???"

So we probably won't even hear "damn.@

Mata2010 and The Shadow Emperor like this.
  2. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

Lion King being dark? My goodness gracious that is the first time I have ever heard that one before. Who knows how many other cartoon network shows show murder or death but it is obvious you are exaggerating how intense animation films are with your Lion King comment (I seriously doubt Disney would hesitate to show the Lion King on its channels even with all those dark themes you say it has).

And yes I have seen a few episodes of Black Lagoon and it is one dumb show. Saying cuss words just for the sake of saying cuss words is pretty stupid. Non animation shows that do the same thing are equally as dumb.

3. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It is? Well damn..

4. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

Yeah there is nothing wrong with a few cuss words here or there to show personality or emotion but those ******** anime shows throw out cuss words left and right just for the sake of cussing.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I will say, Black Lagoon did have some inventive uses for swear words.

I do agree a bit that swearing for the sake of swearing can be a bit much, and can sometimes ruin a work. But swearing can be natural, and oftentimes if used correctly can greatly enhance a work. Look at Wolverine's cameo in First Class, a scene most everyone agrees is one of the best parts of the film. And for a more serious example you have one of the best uses of the **** word in the film Changeling, where a precise use of the **** word ends up being Angelina Jolie's character's defining moment.

As for kids shows, it's just not gonna happen, especially in America. We're too hung up on the dreaded F, S, C and C words while simultaneously being fine with violence. As long as there's no blood, right? It'll still be some time until "bad words" become acceptable for kids to hear. Hell, even hell is still poorly regarded by the media watchdogs, let alone damn.

6. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Todd I do think cussing is more serious in youth programming than cartoon violence is. I think 99% of kids are able to realize how fake cartoon violence is and don't really take it seriously. However a cuss word is still a cuss word rather it is used in adult programming or children's programming.

By the way some people on here seem to be hung up on cartoon violence think of all the god awful things that happened in all those looney tunes cartoons. People being slammed into the grounds by trees, donald duck shooting who knows what at whatever he was mad at. Tom and Jerry abusing one another...my goodness we could go on all day long.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd argue a cuss word is just a word. Swears are given their power for the most arbitrary reasons. I mean, let's examine the phenomenon. A kid hears a swear. The kid says the swear. ....And? And nothing. They're just words. People need to step back a moment and actually think about what makes a word bad. It all boils down to: "**** is a bad word because its a bad word."

I mean, graphic violence can in actuality make people sick to their stomachs. The worst a swear can do is make someone go "OHHHHHHHHHHHH you said a bad word." Not that I'm saying violence is something that needs to be censored or dialed back, but in the argument of what's worse, I always argue violence over swearing. Look at The King's Speech for example. It's rated R because of excessive swearing. And yet, it's got to be the one of the most harmless instances of swearing I've ever seen in a movie.

Sorry to put you on the spot like this, but let me ask you an honest question, chrono. What's so bad about a kid hearing a swear word or two?

8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Ahsoka decapitating four people at once, slaves being killed in the masses on whim, implicit sexual slavery, and suicide to escape bondage are alright, but saying a curse is unforgivable?

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    From a parent standpoint...I've got much bigger things to worry about than my kids hearing swear words in media or seeing a cartoon with the level of violence of TCW or the old-school cartoons.

I am laughing now about one time when my kids were in the car with me and I was playing Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" album; the opening notes of "Circle the Drain" started and my oldest said, "That song has a bad word in it."

Why yes, it does. And apparently I play this album so much that you now recognize that song from the first few chords. :p

(I did end up skipping the song, not because of the word but because I was afraid that next he was going to start asking me questions about substance abuse, which is what the song is about.)

10. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    We'll agree to disagree. I found the characters to be alot more interesting than meets the eye, especially Rock who goes from cheerful upbeat to jaded and playing others. I didn't keep watching Black Lagoon for the ways they invented to use cuss words. Pirates, super soldiers, and mafias would do that right? Cursing, gore, sex, and etc does not automatically make something mature or intense. I'm not the first person to say The Lion King is dark for a Disney Film and won't be the last. Murder from within ones own family is a fairly dark concept for some. I'm old enough to remember the outrage when The Lion King hit theaters in 94 that Simba's own uncle murdered his father instead of it being some random bad guy.

You know. I had a parent a little while back ask if she thought Animorphs would be a good choice for her son to start reading. She wanted to look at the books first however I guess because a good parent screens to make sure their kid can handle what they read, or more likely this one is just over protective. I loaned her the three books in the David Saga to flip though. She read them and gave them back to me saying she actually thought they were to much for her son. Animorphs does use hell, bastard, and damn. It also says stuff like 'And then Jake said the worst word of all and got sent to the principles office' which even as a kid I always assumed had to be **** and laughed at. That's not what she returned them to me for though. She told me it was the violence in the books where the kids morph into animals which tend to get their legs blown off which is described in first person since that is how the books are written. She also didn't like the kind of moral choices presented in the books and the choices the Animorphs made.

Disney is capable of allowing some violence in their movies like the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise and even The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe where Aslan (Jesus) kills the White Witch by jumping on top of her and giving her the lion's kiss of death even if the last we see is Aslan's maw engulfing Jadis's face (ever seen on Nat Geo where a lion grabs a buffalo by the nose? Now that's when **** gets real. 700 pounds per square inch of jaw pressure driving four inch canines). But Television has different standards. I hope that with Greg Weisman involved we can atleast get to Gargoyles level with episodes like "Deadly Force", "Vows", The City of stone arc, and The Hunters Moon arc.

11. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh yeah, under all the over-the-top violence is some good character work in Black Lagoon. The Japan arc was damn good drama.

And let's not forget the inspiration for Lion King- Hamlet, the Shakespeare tragedy most remembered for its ending where 90% of the cast brutally dies.

Seerow likes this.
  12. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

There is nothing wrong with it. However this thread has turned into cussing/swearing and violence shown in animation form. And I've been saying that swearing in a cartoon is more intense than seeing a piece of paper or software (which pretty much all kids know that is all cartoons are) get involved in a violent act. And that is why I think parents have a problem with swearing in cartoons but not so much with particular violent acts shown in a cartoon.

13. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    But how? You say there's nothing wrong with kids hearing a swear, then call swearing intense? How is a piece of paper, as you call it, being violent no worse than that same piece of paper saying damn, ****, or whatever? I'm trying to understand this reasoning and am coming up with nothing.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My brother called The Lion King "Hamlet with animals and a happy ending."

I have never pre-screened my children's books. I assume that if the content would be too terrible for them, they probably wouldn't be capable of reading and understanding it anyway. My kids both read well above grade level but if my 7-year-old picked up a Stephen King book, he couldn't read it well enough to know what the hell was going on.

My oldest read several Animorphs books when he was 7, and is now reading Percy Jackson.

15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I dunno. I've also been in alot of arguments with parents about whether Power Rangers is detrimental to there kids. I always hate parents who take the stand their kids will copy the martial arts in Power Rangers and try to beat each other up. Dammit when I was a kid and played Billy most of the time because I was weird like that me and my friends never seriously beat each other up playing Power Rangers or tried out any moves. If your kid gets interested in Martial Arts because of Power Rangers how is that bad? Take them to Karate and get their asses off the couch for a couple hours a week. Seriously if you kid is going around beating people up after watching Power Rangers there are bigger problems there because the Power Rangers use their cool karate to rescue people and stop Lord Zedd or Astronema from taking over the earth. They don't even just beat up Bulk and Skull no matter how many parties those two crash. Hell they'll see through Bulk and Skull that bullies are bad but they can be overcome and they can even change into better people with the right help.

I don't understand that particular adult either. I think part of it was she actually read the books and then over analysed some stuff in Anirmophs like the fact it is a damn war, war sucks, the Animorphs are not winning their war, and Animorphs does not sugarcoat anything.

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Not directed at me, but I'll pitch in since I haven't been involved in this conversation as of yet. My problem with little kids hearing a swear word or two would be that they not recognize that it's a bad word, and begin saying it. Now, that would be up to the parent to tell them not to say it or not, but to tell the truth, I cringe whenever I hear a kid, or even a teenager, swear like a sailor. About a year ago, when summer break was going on where I lived before, teenagers would come into the Subway I worked at, and I'd just cringe because some of them would spew out blistering profanity. And me, 17 at the time, being older than some of them–I've never once sworn (not patting myself on the back, or anything, I just prefer not to swear)–I just cringed because to me, it's one thing for an adult to swear, but some of those teens couldn't have possibly even known what the word meant. That's just my 2 cents.

Now go ahead, tear me apart for being prudish–but that's not what I intended to convey, I promise. :p

FRAGWAGON and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I kinda agree with the above statement. I don't have a problem with 'bad words' well really I do, I say them all the time. But I have always been annoyed by punks, especially middle schoolers and young teenagers who do it just because they think it makes them look cool and more adult. I really hate it when customers seem to think they scare me when they are yelling **** every other sentence. Actually your chances of getting a credit from me are even slimmer. Calm down and lets have an adult conversation about those Upgrade Fees for real.

FRAGWAGON and Revanfan1 like this.
  18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    It's not just customers. It was coworkers. One guy told me (admittedly, he was an adult so it was a different thing) after he'd just let out a string of blistering profanity, "Sorry, dude, I just really like to cuss." I was like, "Uh...well, okay."

19. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I never have a problem with someone's views on something as long as I understand their reasoning behind it. It's not always about agreeing on everything. Growing up I was taught that swears were bad, but no one ever really said why, and as an adult I've approached the subject and can't think of a single good reason as to why swears are bad. Sure, there's some historical context regarding the origin of several swear words, but those origins are so outdated, IMO, that today's bad words are only still bad "just because". And I don't mean to imply that people like you or chrono are backwards-thinking, I just see you guys expressing your views on swears and find myself at a loss of understanding. To me, they're just words.

I guess I'm slightly biased since I swear like no tomorrow IRL. Seerow probably remembers how I was when we did the Clone Wars viewing chats and she turned off the swear filter. :p

20. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011

I've worked in a call center for the blue globe and now I manage social media for them. I have endless stories of things customers say and do.

I'm starting to wonder if this thread had run its course...

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

Swearing is more intense than cartoon violence. Now I wouldn't call it more intense than real live actors killing and fighting eachother. But any kid who has trouble dealing with cartoons beating each other up and doing other violent things has some issues.

22. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

Kids are a lot more likely to repeat what cartoons said then they are to go and repeat any violent act a cartoon performed or lose sleep over any violent acts a cartoon performed.

23. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, there's really not much more to be said other than "there's no way in Hell Disney would allow the use of the word hell in Rebels."

[​IMG]

The Shadow Emperor and Seerow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.