main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mile Hi Con ConSuite 2009 planning

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Obi_Wannabe, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    The usual questions:

1. Do we want to do this this year?
    2. Who will take charge of coordinating?
    3. What do we want to serve?
    4. What time slot do we want?

2. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    I like the idea of going back to just doing snack foods (I think that's what we did the first year we did it), it will make a simpler one for someone who hasn't coordinated it before.

It also makes it easier to pick just about any time slot.

3. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    Thanks for saying that, for people who haven't done it before.

Don't forget Zoo and Sith__Chick did it very successfully for the years before I did it.

4. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    pb&j would be easy. i like mine with doritos and soda.

or how about something all of us weather we are going to texas or not can do. cup cakes. we could bake them well ahead of time and freeze them. maybe the folks at mhc can frost them on the spot. they would be easy to frost while frozen.

5. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    Dessert sounds like an excellent idea. Yum.

6. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002

It went over great and was super easy, too. I think this is the way to go, and a great idea.

I would be more than happy to help with the cost, whatever we decide to serve. :)

7. TheFettedOne

TheFettedOne Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2008
    So who is going to run it this year?

8. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    Bump

I suggest that if no one steps up by the August meeting, we're not doing this folks.

Coordinating this event just means making sure whatever food is decided on gets done, keeping the list of who is doing what and what needs to be purchased.

9. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    Previous year's fare:

2003 - Assorted Snack Foods - Coordinator - ZOO/SithChick
    2004 - Sandwiches - Coordinator - ZOO/SithChick
    2005 - Ice Cream Sundae Bar - Coordinator - O_W
    2006 - Taco Bar - Coordinator - O_W
    2007 - Root Beer Floats - Coordinator - Nnaydolem
    2008 - Baked Potato Bar - Coordinator - ArchaicRebel

10. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    Last year's blurb for the MHC program book, i'm only reposting it here so I don't have to track it down in last year's thread later for rewriting.

The Rocky Mountain Fan Force (RMFF) is the local chapter of the worldwide Star Wars Fan Force. The RMFF enjoys sharing the magic of Star Wars with the community through charitable events and functions. Events this fall include The Wings Over the Rockies Hauntings at the Hangar (Sun Oct 26th noon to 3 pm), the Forney Museum of Transportation Halloween Fall Fest (Fri Oct 31st 4pm to 8 pm), and the Susan G. Komen Denver Race for the Cure (Sun Oct 5th). Check our website www.rmff.net for details about the group and the upcoming events.

Every year we try to bring something new to the Con Suite, on Saturday, from 2 to 4 PM, we will be hosting a baked potato bar. Condiments include the regular potato fixin's as well as vegetarian options. Stop by and meet this diverse group of scifi fanatics, grab yourself some great grub and find out why the RMFF are a force to be reckoned with!

11. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    General and specific info about running a ConSuite shift:

LAST YEARS RULES - Things could change, but here are some quidelines until we get the new info.

Basic ConSuite (Party Room) Guidelines

Your group provides the food:
    There are no real requirements as to type or quantity, but?.
    Plan to provide enough food to feed approximately 150-200 ravenous people
    Time slots are generally reserved in 2-hour blocks
    MileHiCon provides the beverages:
    A wide variety of soda, regular & decaf coffee, and a variety of tea
    There is absolutely No Alcohol Allowed in the ConSuite

THE CONSUITE AT MILEHICON RUNS 24-HOURS ONCE OFFICIALLY OPENED.

HOURS ARE

Friday: open by 6 p.m. (earlier if the gods smile on us!)

Sunday: close at 6 p.m.

I would like to encourage sponsors to consider all time blocks, including late night blocks.

Why not run a special event during late-night time blocks? There is minimal programming to conflict with during the wee hours. You would probably generate a good turnout.

THE MAIN BLOCKS USUALLY REQUESTED BY SPONSORS ARE:

Friday: 6 ? 8 p.m.

Saturday: 8 a.m. (breakfast stuff) to 6 p.m. The Masquerade and Literacy Auction run Saturday evening, and generally pull everyone at the con, so would be a poor choice for ConSuite sponsorship.

Sunday: 8 a.m. to 12 noon. Critter Crunch, Art Auction, and Closing Ceremonies tend to make Sunday afternoon a poor choice.

SPONSORSHIP TERMS ARE PRETTY BASIC:

1. There is a $40.00 refundable* deposit if your request is received prior to September 30th.

After that date, the refundable deposit will be $50.00, and require special processing.

(*Refundable only if you show up with adequate food.)

2 Sponsorship is usually for a two (2) hour block, which is what is scheduled.

3 All food items will be cleared from the ConSuite prior to your sponsorship block with one exception: MHC will continue to maintain the beverages (soda, coffee, tea, hot water, etc.).

4 The MHC ConSuite is strictly non-alcoholic.

5 Do not bring popcorn (it?s messy and a real pain to clean up!).

6 The Sponsor (you/your group) is responsible for providing everything else [food, utensils (eating, drinking, opening & serving), napkins, plates, serving trays, food warmers, etc.].

7 The MHC prep area, The Galley, will not be available for use by Sponsors. This includes dry or refrigerated storage prior to your block?there simply isn?t enough room! Sorry.

8 The ConSuite Sponsor is asked to initiate cleanup fifteen minutes prior to the end of their 2-hour block. This is especially important if another sponsor is scheduled immediately after.

9 Electrical power and usage is a tricky beast at best: I recommend that Sponsors use their hotel room(s) for prep and bring food in already heated, if any kind of cooking/heating is necessary.

TRADITIONAL MAIN PROGRAMMING ITEMS:

1. Opening Ceremonies: usually 7-7:30-ish on Friday evening.
    2. Masquerade/Costume Contest/Literacy Auction: 7:30/8 ? 10/10:30 p.m. Saturday.
    3. Critter Crunch: 1st round Sunday 10 a.m. ?ish; Final round: Sunday 3 p.m. ?ish after Art Auction.
    4. Art Auction: usually 1 p.m. ?ish.
    5. Closing Ceremonies: 3 p.m. ?ish.

Let me know what time slot you are interested in, if it?s available I will try to pencil you in. However, confirmation is not made until receipt of the deposit. The check must be received NO LATER THAN October 1, and preferably by September 1.

12. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    If I don't end up going to Fan Days in Plano, I'd be happy to step up and coordinate.

13. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Wieners, wieners, wieners :D Uhmmm, I mean Hotdogs, we are doing a hotdog stand with hats & aprons & everything, well we won't have the wienermobile :(

I will head it up this year, so come prepared to stuff peoples buns.

OMG! This is going to be too much fun.

14. ZOOfo-Dyas

ZOOfo-Dyas Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    The RMFF Wiener Parade, with more inappropriate humor than spending 2 hours talking about Obi_W's meat. [face_mischief]

I can do the bun order at the Orowheat outlet if you like. I'll check the prices when I grab bread there later this week.

So, who's gonna rent the Wiener costume to promote the block in the main hall? [face_devil]

15. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    I am in for sure. I will price aprons, hehehe wouldn't it be cool if we could get little logos on them? LOL

16. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    We can sew aprons, they wouldn't be that hard, the hats on the other hand?? I know Hammons candy has them but I'm sure it has there name all over them.

so what is everyones idea on the aprons? red & white checkers? Do we need to stick w/ blue since that is the "RMFF" color?

So we will have to see what time slot (hehe) we get and them we are 1/2 way there.

17. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Better question, who is going to wear it? Cory or Shane :D

Yes please, look into that. So the instructions say 150-200 people, I know there will be people who want 2, so should we plan for 300 hotdogs? more or less??? More is better, would hate to run out..... But what do we do with leftovers?

So hotdogs, should we have a different kinds?
    Cheese
    Chili
    Sauerkraut
    Onions
    Relish
    Jalapeons
    Condiments

That is all I can think of at the moment, but I think that is enought :p

We will need everyones crokpots for this, please :D

18. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    ahh. this explains why my RSA sense was tingling this morning.

19. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    I will look into the hats.

I have a decent sized crock-pot, so count mine in.

20. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    I've emailed our request to do hot dogs from 4-6 on Saturday to the Consuite folks.

I'll let you know here if there is a conflict for times, or if someone else is already doing this (not that we can't do what someone else is already doing).

21. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I am willing to volunteer with whatever!

22. SITH__CHICK

Mar 25, 2002
    Do you want to be a wiener wrangler :D

23. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Can I wear my chaps? :p

24. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
  25. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Buttless chaps are optional for this event. Just be sure to keep a lasso handy in case any weiners make a break for it.

...and the RSA's senses tingle..danger! danger!