main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Millenials are the best generation...right?

Discussion in 'Community' started by blubeast1237, Jul 9, 2014.

1. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007

Don't know a beezel, but I'm assuming he was...illiterate and was illegible?

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    How

3. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    How is it not? lol. Its very subjective, obviously, but, in a pursuit of being as objective as I can, I think math is boring. I mean boring in an unimaginative and monotonous sense. It can be cool and interesting at times, but overall the verdict should be that it is boring. I think of it like how I think about political theory: I love the stuff and it is vastly interesting and engaging for me, but if someone said it was boring I would say "Well...duh." Just because I find it interesting, doesn't mean that it actually IS.

4. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    My favourite part of the millenial generation is the masquerading of opinion as objective truth.

Why yes, my 24th birthday is next weekend, what's that to do with this?

5. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    Truth... Such a fickle word.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Arawn_Fenn and Penguinator like this.
  7. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    and just because you find something boring, doesnt mean that it actually is either, right? ... right?

8. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    "A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

9. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    The only thing math is boring compared to is physics. :p

10. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    SO MANY QUOTES.lol

But yea, I think that would be the exact inference that's important to take away. I began by saying that its very subjective, no? I stated my opinion, not an objective truth.lol. That was whatever Peng was talking about.;)

11. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I just can't even with this thread.

12. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Why the **** are you using cash, though.

13. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    A brief recollection of history:

GenX: GenY, you can't count change and you're dumb. We're better.

Baby Boomers: GenX, your music is loud and terrible. We're better.

Silents: Baby Boomers, you're selfish and conceited. We're better.

G.I.s: Silents, you had it easy compared to us. We're better.

And then on, and on, and on...

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    So if it's all so obviously unimaginative and monotonous - what exactly do you think modern mathematics is?

15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i dont know that there is a best, but i firmly believe that baby boomers are the absolute worst (sorry mom and dad)

16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    arithmetic

17. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    Well I never said it was so obvious, but if you're claiming that, then there's some validity.:p

I think modern mathematics is boring. I take it from your tone, though, that you may be thinking boring is a negative thing to say, yes?

18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Boring, because it's so easy for you, or 'boring', because you don't understand it, at all? If it's the latter, math probably isn't actually boring, for you... you just don't get it.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Actually, you should be taking from my tone that I don't think you know any modern mathematics.

Hence, again, why I'm wondering - what do you think constitutes modern mathematics?

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    Or another: Boring in the sense that the level of action and challenge that I need to find something interesting and not tedious is not stimulated when I hear about math or perform it. Its not that I'm so smart that its easy, more that there's nothing that I find interesting about math.

And about this damn change thing: I'm not old enough to have seen people calculating tips in their head or anything like that, but why should it matter that (we will be very specific though I'm pretty sure more than just millenials don't know how to process change in their heads) millenials are confused when it comes this? We have phones and other machines to do it for us, thanks to the previous generations because someone in the older generations thought "There's an easier way to do X" and made a machine for it. I've never understood that attitude of "Well you guys aren't as hard working or tip calculating as my generation was." Why would we? You guys made it easier for us to not have to do these, honestly, pointless tasks.

Common gripes:
    "My generation had to work harder. You kids have it too easy." - To this I ask "Well should we have it as hard as you did?" Is there some intrinsic value to working hard that I'm missing? *Sigh*

21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This should be good...

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

Modern mathematics are boring, you mean. Grammar is important.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Nuh-uh... we have machines for that, now.

blubeast1237 likes this.
  24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I need to hold get one those of machines grammar.

blubeast1237 likes this.
  25. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007

Okay, well you're dodging a bit from the question, but sure, I'll answer you.lol

I'm not interested in math enough to have investigated the differences between modern math and...well I guess the opposite would be traditional or old fashioned math. So I don't have a definition, especially not one that you, as a mathhead, would find acceptable or right. But I would say that I don't need a definition of modern mathematics to know that it is something that does not interest me and that I find boring.... Well unless modern mathematics is not math in which case it needs to be renamed.:p