main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Millenials are the best generation...right?

Discussion in 'Community' started by blubeast1237, Jul 9, 2014.

1. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    Yea, thanks for the correction, Peng.;)

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Again, is it actually boring, to you, or is it too difficult for you to grasp?

I'll answer my own question.... math is too ****ing difficult for me to grasp. I don't think in numbers. I don't get it, and it frustrates the **** out of me.

DarthTunick likes this.
  3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    So you don't know what it is, but you know it's boring.

Juliet316 and harpua like this.
  4. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    Well I know how to read and I know what math has meant (Despite it being given different definitions and subcategories) all my life so when someone presents a topic such as "Modern Mathematics" then I'm going to assume it is, at its core, something to do with math, hopefully.lol. Lord Vivec

5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i liek maths. im ****** at it, but it can be fascinating and illustrative for understanding concepts i get a lot of mileage out of

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i like maths when i get it. when i don't i hate it more than anything.

Juliet316 and harpua like this.
  7. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    "Modern Math has something to do with math" isn't exactly knowing what modern math is.

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Matrices are fun, but I don't go far beyond that.

9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Even with the maths I'm able to do, I don't enjoy it... I've never enjoyed it.

10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I asked primarily because you've now essentially confirmed my suspicion that you have next to no exposure to anything other than extremely trivial rote calculations and a bunch of subdisciplines that have been considered essentially trivial for 150+ years.

Consequently, no, actually, you don't know enough modern mathematics to "objectively" (As was your stated goal in your initial assessment) comment on it precisely because there was a massive overhaul in the field that began in roughly the back end of the 19th century. Essentially none of the mathematics that is taught prior to the upper divisions of undergraduate degree programs resembles in any way any of the major branches of current research and, indeed, the predominant fields are distinctly products of the 20th century so heavily abstracted from their origins that the word "algebra" literally has at least three meanings of which only the one that no one cares about is taught to high schoolers.

So I don't think I "ought" to find math boring or monotonous even if the terms are removed from their negative connotations - which you seem to be arguing for, which is a silly way to try and circumvent linguistic issues - because you're conflating a bunch of boring Euclidean and Cartesian crap with, say, Riemann and Grothendieck. There's nothing objective about that assessment and it's born solely out of your perception of the subject, not the actual state of the field.

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I can write a research paper in my sleep, but math pisses me the **** off. :p

DarthTunick likes this.
  12. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Juliet316 likes this.
  13. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007

*Sigh* Let me make it easier for you to grasp what I'm saying. Let's say you are not interested in the American Presidency, at all. You find it uninteresting compared to other aspects of life. Then I ask you "Well what do you know about Neustadt's Modern Presidency analysis?" The fact that you may not be able to tell me about it doesn't mean that you can't gather enough peripheral information, aka context clues, to understand that this still has to do with the Presidency. Your interest in it does not need a deep integral understanding, one that could only be gained if you behave like you are interested in it (Reading books, studying the material, cross referencing data, etc.), for you to say "Well no, I don't know a lot about that because I don't like it."

Ramza knows more about math than I do, so he's able to draw a difference, but I, someone who has not studied it or read up on it because I have no desire to, cannot. Should I feign a desire to learn more about math (all the while taking away time from things I actually do enjoy and find engaging)?

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Blu I don't care if you find it boring, that's your prerogative. I care quite a bit that your first argument seemed to indicate that I should find it boring, because **** that.

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    millennials, ladies and gentlemen

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    now britney spears' prerogative is playing in my head

thanks ramza

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Wait, you like math?

All this time I just thought you were really, really into being bored. Kind of like how some people are into pain, or whatever.

18. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    He's a mathochist

19. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    DAMMIT VIVEC. I was about to say that.

DarthTunick and Lord Vivec like this.
  20. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    Its very subjective, obviously, but, in a pursuit of being as objective as I can, I think math is boring.

I literally stated already that it was intensely subjective and then I said that I, me...blu think math is boring. But maybe you just took objective to mean that all people everywhere should agree with my sentiment...which isn't what objective means.:p

21. blubeast1237

Apr 10, 2007
    Aww... Thank you... but aren't you one of us too?[face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized][face_hypnotized]

22. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006

23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Having grown up in the third world and not partaking in a lot of the benefits that young millennials had in their childhood, I tend not to place myself in these categories since they best describe people in the West.

blubeast1237 likes this.
  24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I find math boring when it's not applied to anything "real," which constitutes the vast majority of high school and lower-division undergrad courses-- and is not coincidentally the stuff that 95+% of people have been exposed to. For example, I was fine with trig when I was using it for physics, but the endless **** with memorizing radians and whatever (I forget most of what it was) in my actual Trigonometry class made me struggle to care. I recall every attempt at "real world" application in the textbooks to be ridiculous at best.

Although blubeast isn't exactly being considerate, I don't think it's fair to blame him for not knowing what the hell math majors are doing in PhD programs. I don't blame people for finding history boring because of what they did in high school or general education courses; it's taught completely the wrong way, as a set of dates and facts (some of which are apocrypha) to memorize like multiplication tables.

darthcaedus1138 and blubeast1237 like this.
  25. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    what's real maths to you, darth guy? having 15 watermelons in one hand and 80 apples in the other?