main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Millennium Falcon in TFA vs OT

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ChewieWe'reHome, Apr 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    Am I misunderstanding this post? Because the Falcon doesn't look EXACTLY the same as in previous films. There are quite a few differences.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Abrams never said there wouldn't be CGI in the film. In fact, he specifically said "There are obviously an enormous amount of CG effects in the film".

As for the Falcon in TFA - there are a few shots where I felt it was off. The take-off on Jakku and the crash at Starkiller Base. The physics didn't really seem to add up, and made them moments where I felt it was obviously CGI.
    Apart from that, I thought it looked as great as ever!

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I neither notice nor care about that stuff. The Falcon is the Falcon

Just my own 2 cents

4. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    There does seem to be something a little off about the TFA Falcon as opposed to the OT Falcon. It doesn't seem nearly as robust of a ship in TFA as it was in the OT, almost like it's a stripped down version. I wouldn't be surprised if part of its back story is that it was scrapped a bit for parts at various points and kept barely operable while on Jakku.

5. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    There are additions as well. For example, the piping on the sides of the jaws is a lot busier than it ever was in the OT.

6. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015

When it comes to what could be considered "in-universe" alterations, I was fine accepting those. You can tell by Rey & Han's dialogue that the ship had changed hands quite a bit over the past 3 decades. So really just about any tweak to the ship's framework flew with me. Even if they weren't intentional.

One thing that stuck out to me was how the Falcon almost appeared shorter/skinnier (along it's y-axis). Could just be my imagination, but it's lingered in my head ever since the first teaser.

Sarge likes this.
  7. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    The Millennium Falcon has been my favorite ship since watching the OT showing on the Telly back in the late-90s (I also had her in model form when in college, but she unfortunately flew once and crashed to the ground straightaway )... I was too young to understand the OT when released in the cinemas, in the early 80s, anyway!

And yeah, while I agree that her practical model set is more realistic (in terms of appearance and movement) as compared with the CGI version, the scenes of the Falcon evading TIE Fighters in Jakku as well as when she crash-landed on the SKB are very well-done... Those are indeed rare situations where you see the Falcon doing her stuff not in outer space, like in the OT, but in a planet with breathable atmosphere!

But what really made my interest in the Falcon really peak was when I saw the ship in her full glory at the Star Wars attraction in Legoland Malaysia... And changed my entire online presence to become her name, haha (including her Hot Wheels incarnation as my profile pix here)!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

8. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    I loved the Falcon in the new film - the scene where she takes off is one of the first bits where I welled up a little.
    There are plenty of changes, both internally and externally - one whole wall has been removed internally and that was a bit jarring when I first viewed it. I remember thinking 'wow, the insides look a lot more spacious'.
    The TIE chase on Jakku was fantastic.

So, no, I don't have an issue with the Falcon in the new film. Love it, one of the things that I realised I really missed in the prequels

Sarge likes this.
  9. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm obsessed with space ships. The Millennium Falcon is the best spaceship ever created for SF. Its utterly brilliant. It steals every scene it in in every movie its in.

When I first heard/read that there was going to be an Episode 7 sequel, I yelled out in my office at work (where I have at least 8 models of the ship) - "Yes, YES, we are going to see the Falcon again.

I wasn't disappointed - the Falcon in TFA is AMAZING. And I much prefer the square sensor array/satellite dish!

10. McLaren

McLaren Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 1, 2002
    It's probably a visual perception error as I'm pretty sure they would make the CGI model match to a micron. The old, round dish would pull your eye up whereas the new, rectangle dish is very close to the hull which gives an illusion that the Falcon is thinner.

ChewieWe'reHome likes this.
  11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I thought the shields provided protection from lasers not solid objects

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    There seem to be different kinds of shields in SW. In ANH, X-wings buffeted as they passed through the DS's outer shields. In RotJ, the shield had to be lowered for the shuttle to pass and for the fighters to reach the DS2. In TPM, the Gungan shield reflected blasters but the battledroids walked through it. In the first battle in RotS, Ani & Obi couldn't fly their fighters into the hangar bay until Ani fired shots that somehow took down the shields.

Edit: And in the attack briefing in ANH, the thermal exhaust port was described as not particle shielded, but completely ray shielded, so you'll have to use torpedoes.

ZodaEX likes this.
  13. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015
    That actually makes a lot of sense. Nice thinking.

14. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

I thought the Falcon DID look a little older and a b it more worn. AS for R2 and 3PO, both would likely go through significant periodic maintenance. R2 undergoes a couple repairs during the OT, and so does 3PO for that matter. In TFA, 3Po has a red replacement arm, apparently while he is waiting for his own arm to be repaired and refurbished. The GFFA appears to place significant emphasis on reuse.

Sarge likes this.
  15. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Speaking of C3PO, he sounded different and looked very new

11-4D likes this.
  16. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    It lacked mass in the force Awakens. The OT shot the models at different speeds, and had coinciding sound effects to accompany the movement. There's never a steady shot in TFA. So much cutting that it diminishes the illusion.

Abadacus and guittarjedi like this.
  17. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Tony Daniels is getting old. His voice IS a bit different. I wasn't that crazy about the finish on his suit. They 3D printed the suit and it was more flexible, but to me, it looked spray-painted rather than vacuum metalized. It kind of had a hazy look. I hope they fix that! OTOH, I thought R2 looked fantastic.

Oddly, I felt the opposite. I thought the flight of the Falcon looked the best ever. If felt more fluid.... it had a less "on the rails" feel.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  18. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    It makes sense. I get why they did it. It doesnt mean it doesnt still feel a little off to me. I feel like everything should have aged with the OT cast.
    Maybe that actually would have been a tinge depressing though if they had done that I dunno

19. Duke Vadewalker

Duke Vadewalker Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 5, 2016
    Not sure how anyone could say the droids don't look noticeably older - R2 has rust marks and grime all over, while Threepio too has clearly seen better days...

As for the Falcon "model", she's the same as she ever was - only different in your mind (apart from the new dish, which I absolutely love btw)! ;) I got a major lump in my throat seeing her again, and then when she *flew*...

The only issue I had -and will probably always have- with how she looked was the noticeable blue tint to all the interior metal surfaces. Not sure if that's a result of the heavy use of LED-based lighting, or an indication of poor colour matching, but it's pretty jarring to me.

And not so much looks-based, but how they slammed her poor landing gear and the turrets around (I'm sorry but even the idea of "structural integrity fields", "super alloys" or what-have-yous aren't quite enough to justify it for me) left me both cringing and struggling to sustain my disbelief during those takeoff scenes on Jakku.

Seriously, pilot or not - someone needs to teach that girl how to execute a proper takeoff and landing....

Sarge likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd rather it be a Muppet model voiced by Seth McFarlane.

21. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Good thread. I was quite amazed at how they got the movements right. We're talking about a flying burger, whose motion was motion captured with plastic models on a blue stick back in the day. They went a step further with more sophisticated VFX and still it looks and moves like the falcon, which is not that obvious and easy to recreate. There's a couple of instances where it appears a bit clumsy, which to me is a reflection of Han Solo himself. He's an action hero but at the same time a bit clumsy and making it up as he goes along.

I loved the falcon in this movie and I'm very relieved they didn't make "impossible to shoot" CGI shots that make disconnect you from the action, which has become a sad standard for the industry, specially with superhero movies.

22. sbk1234

sbk1234 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 21, 2014
    Honestly, I think it's a whole lot of "You can't go home again." I had no problem with the Falcon, how she flew and how she looked. Personally, I can never tell a CGI ship from a model. At times I thought some ships were CGI and they turned out to be models, and vice versa. But when we saw the Millennium Falcon in the OT, it was all new to us. We had no preconceived notions of what to expect or how it should fly. Even when it flew noticeably different in TESB from ANH, there had been so little seen of it flying before, that it added, rather than detracted from our perceptions. Many folks probably wanted - at least subconsciously - to experience that same feeling we had when we first saw it back in the 70s and 80s. But after all these years, I think many had been building up "something" that the original ship captured, that could never be captured again, CGI or model.

Just my 2 cents worth.

23. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    yeah it does seem disc like than it used to. but if you watch the documentary, they really wanted to get it exact

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.