main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Milwaukee Brewers fan club.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by darth_gersh, Mar 7, 2008.

1. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    CC didn't have his stuff tonight. Hard to get mad at the guy though, he's the reason we are here.

I knew when Corey Hart hit into the double play with bases loaded in the 1st inning that we blew it there. This team has no offense right now.

It's too bad, because the bullpen is really solid right now.

2. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Corey Hart has been just terrible for well over a month now. I know you don't want to kill his confidence but jeepers he just has nothing. Hitting that ball with the first pitch with the bases loaded was just horrible. I know he plays OK defense but we do need to get some bats.

3. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    It doesn't look good for your team. Sabathia once again came up small in the playoffs.

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Sabathia once again came up small in the playoffs.

Its hard to blame him, though, when he's making his fourth consecutive start on short rest (when was the last time a pitcher did that in the modern era?) and he was THE player responsible for putting the Brewers into the playoffs.

5. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    And when all is said and done, we're not the Cubs.

6. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    Well, a playoff game in Milwaukee. Regardless of how it turns out, that's still pretty damn cool. I wish I could afford tickets. [face_frustrated]

7. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Brewers at least looking better tonight. Hopefully they can hang on for the win tonight and get some momentum.

8. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Its like they're trying to set a rocrd for number of times loading the bases and getting no runs out of it.

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    including the Phillies in the 9th, thanks to that interference call, going from bases loaded with nobody out to getting out without allowing any runs. But they hang on and send the series to game 4!

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I've got the Buckeyes game on the radio here, and my heart skipped a little when I heard the entire stadium erupt in cheers. But ... it wasn't for anything in that game, it was when they flashed the final of the Brewers game.

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    So, the Brewers gave the Buckeyes fan a scare. Nice [face_laugh]

12. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Once again, the prevent defense was successful in preventing a victory for the team employing it. (Badgers.) Though give Pryor credit for keeping his cool and executing on the winning drive.

Now, back on topic: I'm not so sure Gagne wouldn't be a more effective closer than Torres at this point. Perhaps Sveum should have brought in Parra for the lefties to start the 9th. But other than the 2nd inning for Sabathia, the Brewers pitching has been excellent so far in this series. Gallardo's walks came back to bite him, but only because of poor defense.

If Suppan can deliver tomorrow, Sabathia will get a shot at a start on four days rest!

13. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    Torres stinks. I cringed when I found out he was coming in.

What a night by Dave Bush.

Time for Suppan to come through in the situation we signed him for: playoffs.

14. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    There's an old saying: when your season rides on the arm of Jeff Suppan, it'll be over quickly.

15. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    NLDS MVP Suppy! Oh how the east coasters forget. Great game. Congrats my Brewers friends.

16. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Except you know, when he won 2 games in the world series, including game 7 for the Cardinals.

17. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    He's never won a World Series game, but that aside, I'll rely on my feeling of absolute security when it was announced Suppan was going to be pitching Game 3 of the 2004 World Series.

That said, it'd be cool if he came through.

18. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    You're right, I'm thinking of the 2006 NLCS where in 2 games, he went 1-0 with a .60 ERA.

19. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Yeah, I guess you could be sending out a bunch of worse guys. Suppan's the first guy I ever called a vacuum pitcher, and I'm reluctant to relinquish that.

20. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Well our season is over. Thanks everyone for a crazy ride. Any thoughts on the off season? I believe Sheets, and Sabathia are gone. I wonder what kind of pitching we can find? Trades? Should be an interesting winter?

21. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Well, Suppan didn't show up for the game, and I think I'm done with him on the team. His MO has always been that he's a big game pitcher and that was why they signed him. I think we can strip him of that label now.

But, when all is said and done, I can't be too disapointed. It was a good season, and I had more fun this season then I've ever had being a Brewer fan. The team needs some new pieces here and there, but I think they still have a very good core of players that can make another serious run next year.

But, as far as this season goes. 90 wins, made the playoffs and then won a playoff game. It was a good season, sometimes frustrating, but never boring. And, two final notes, the Brewers lasted longer in the playoffs then the Cubs, and have now won more playoff games over the past years then the Cubs. That helps too.

22. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Yeah, it's a very decent core, and they should be able to push for playoff berths over the next several season. All in all, 2008 was a very good one for Milwaukee.

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Definitely a good season overall for Milwaukee. My only concern would be replacing the pitching of Sheets and Sabathia, neither of whom is likely to return. That could be enough to keep them from the playoffs for at least the next couple of seasons, unfortunately.

24. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    Suppan stinks. Blah. [face_plain]

2008 was a memorable year though. If we don't get CC back, THANK YOU for the amazing ride.

25. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Well, they'll have a decent first three. Yovani Gallardo has ace stuff, Manny Parra was good and only struggled, because he ran out of gas at the end of the year, and Dave Bush seems to have finally figured things out. So, that's a good starting three. Who knows if they'll have Suppan back, probably, and I guess he can be an okay 4th starter. Then, find another servicable arm, maybe Capuano can finally be healthy, McClung showed the ability to start effectively. So, the starting staff isn't in too bad of shape.