main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Milwookie FanForce

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Bujo, Mar 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bujo

Bujo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    OK, this is my second time typing this; let's hope I don't mess up again.

Hi, my name is Bujo and I'm new to the FanForce experience. I'm very interested in trying to have Milwaukee/Wisconsin get it's own FanForce representation and I understand that it's not an easy process, mainly finding the people who also are interested in it.

A little about me: I'm a 23-year-old working two jobs to help pay the bills living in Brookfield. Been a fan of Star Wars since forever (born in 1978). I can't rattle off every bit of trivia; I'm more of a hardcore casual fan. My appreciation for Star Wars stems from the movies and books where I enjoy "escaping" to this universe.

I've seen some of the threads out there and it seems like there is interest in this metropolitan area of Milwaukee. I know I'm probably not the first person to try and psyche everyone up about getting a sanctioned FanForce here, but I am willing to go as far as everyone here wants to go with this process.

So here it begins. Let me know who is out there. Let your voices be heard. Tell us all a little about yourselves. Hey, if nothing else happens, then maybe at the least we can all meet up for whatever, Star Wars related or otherwise.

Bujo

2. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    Hi Bujo!

I am 32 and live in Muskego where I run a programming business out of my home. I grew up with Star Wars and CAN spout off some of the more bizarre trivia! I won at Star Wars Trivial Persuit against some other hard core fans while waiting in line for TPM a few years back. Hmmm... I'm not sure if I should be bragging about that or not!

I am all for getting some fanforce representaion as well. I KNOW there are a lot of fans out there. When TPM came out there was a lot of activity on these boards.

3. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    Bujo and Mauler,
    This is the deal. I have been conversing with que4zone and Jedisister about this. I am from Sheboygan and they are from Marshfield and Slinger respectively. We decided that Milwaukee has the most likely possibilities because it is preferred that we be associated with a city. We have already achieved the first step because there were sufficient numbers of people posting to create a Milwaukee thread. Now, in order to be recognized as "official", we have to have three meetings and post them publicly on the force.net. To do this, we must decide on a meeting place and time. I would like to get as far toward officialdom as we can before Celebration. We need ideas about where to meet. Most of the ones I saw seemed to be in generally public places, not special meeting rooms like food courts and such. What do you guys think? It should be a lot easier for you to attend than us. I will help with anything official. We also need someone to represent us on the boards and be a sort of moderator for our thread. We could decide this when we meet. So give us your input on meeting possibilities.

4. Mauler_II

Mar 13, 2002
    OK - I have a few questions:

1) What are the advantages of being "official" and having an "official representative"? Why do we need a moderator?

2) What are the meetings supposed to accomplish? Who sets the agenda.. or is it more of a "get to know other fans" kind of meeting?

3) Why will it be easier for us to attend than you?

5. Bujo

Mar 18, 2002
    I'm not sure of any direct advantages of being an officially sanctioned FanForce city. I looked at the FanForce FAQ and could not really see any sort of actual relevance to this. I guess it's more of a pride issue, to be associated with an Official Star Wars group that has members the world-over. I guess it doesn't really matter either way.

I personally am not looking to accomplish any sort of goals for a meeting; I'd be hoping to just meet with other Star Wars fans. I would hope that is the consensus for anybody attending. Sure, it's fun to talk about Star Wars, but I guess the option of having something to do would be a draw in itself.

Sorry about not posting a thread yesterday. It gets tough to squeeze internet time in during my lunch break and I won't have Roadrunner hooked up for another week or so at home.

I hope that we're on the right path towards meeting up. Maybe what it will take is somebody to say "hey, I'm going to be here on this day at this time". If people come they come, if not, oh well.

Bujo

6. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
    The rep or moderator just helps and tries to keep things organized. I don't think it is any big thing. What I meant about it being easier is that the ones in the Milwaukee area are familiar with the city and can contribute ideas for activities. Chicago fanforce planned a group trip to Great America last year. We could do a Brewer game. I just want to get to know other fans so that there are faces to go with the people on the boards. It would be cool to actually know someone at Celebration. Give it some thought. NY fans go to exhibits and stuff together. I don't know what would interest you guys. Mauler and Bujo, will you be at Celebration?

7. Mauler_II

Mar 13, 2002
    It doesn't look like I will be able to go to Celebration II. Having three kids puts a bit of a crimp in the old social calendar. I will expect a FULL report when you guys get back however!

I like the idea of a Brewer game to get together - any other suggestions? Maybe going to see ET or something?

BTW it looks like I will be going with the wife and kids to Chicago on Sunday to see Ice Age and (more imortantly) the AOTC trailer in all its digital glory!

8. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Afternoon all!

How about the Milwaukee Art Museum? It's a nice, affordable place to meet, talk, and view some nice art. And btw, the Calatrava interior, if you haven't seen it yet, it looks like a set from ESB, imho! It's all white, austere, and fabulous! :)

Ok, that's my offering for a meeting place. Just another idea to throw out. Back to my costume... (oh God, I will never get it done by May 1st!).

9. que4zone

que4zone Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2002
    Making it official, would require a City Rep (which is elected in a sense) .. but.. I guess I'll drive to Milwaukee if the Milwookie Fanforce becomes official...

10. Bujo

Mar 18, 2002
    We've got some flow going here, I like it I like it!! Brewer games, Milwaukee Art Museum, a night on the town, State Fair/Summerfest are right around the corner, Buck/Admirals/Wave games, the East Side . . . the options are all there! Maybe setting up a poll to see what people would want to do would help get a better idea of a good way to meet up with everyone (I'm still learning the boards otherwise I would set it up). It's also definitely nice seeing people on here.

I'm going to be going to Celebration II with a friend. We're going to be leaving Milwaukee around 4:00 - 5:00 in the morn. I'm still trying to work with the Indianapolis Star Wars Housing to get a room right by the Convention Center, but right now I'm about 6 miles away.

Mauler, you will be missed. I'll have a camera so when the inevitable meeting takes place I can show you some picks.
    marajoan/Leia/que -- are you guys going?

By the way, if anybody might be interested in a Star Wars Monopoly let me know. I've got two of 'em and would not mind getting rid of one.

11. Mauler_II

Mar 13, 2002
    The art museum would be cool - I haven't been there yet. I am available most evenings and weekends. I work at home so I am around all day as well.

12. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
    Why don't we pick a date after Easter and then we can post it and get one meeting out of the way. Any weekend except April 21st is good for me.

13. que4zone

Mar 7, 2002
    I'll be Celebration II for sure!!.. I got into the Courtyard by Marriott.. (0.2 miles away).. sorry.. I had to say it.. uhm.. It's possible that I might show up at your first meeting if it's on the right day of the week.. I'm looking forward to meeting some new people..

~Que4

14. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Hi guys. I'm 18 and I live in West Allis, right in the shadows of downtown Milwaukee. I have loved Star Wars for 15 years, and this FanForce thing sounds interesting.

15. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    If you're still looking for a Celebration hotel room close to the Convention Center, Chicago Force has a block of rooms at Courtyard by Marriott, across the street. Send an e-mail to BoshTalk@aol.com to request a room and get all the details.

Phil

16. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    One benefit of being an official FF chapter is the free advertising. Sometimes TF.N puts events from different areas on their main page--it has to be an official group. Or, the flyers at Celebration II include official or soon-to-be official groups on them.

Everyone is welcome to use the city forums, regardless of group status.

17. Bujo

Mar 18, 2002
    Hello all!

Man, I REALLY need to get internet access at home again . . .

I'm getting pumped for Celebration II. I just sent an e-mail to somebody over at Chicago FanForce hoping (praying!) that I can get into the Marriott . . .

I'm all for the meeting at the Milwaukee Art Museum. Now if only my work will get me my schedule for April I can see if I can even go make it. Not sure how long all of you would plan on being out, but regardless of my schedule I would be out of there by 6:00 at the latest. I'm hoping to not have to worry about it, but you never know.

18. Mauler_II

Mar 13, 2002
    Apparently I may yet get to go to Celebration II.

When is the latest I can pick up tix?

19. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
    Hey Mauler,
    That is great!!!!! The more the merrier. We definitely have to get together somehow there or at least let people know that "The Cheese State" is represented.

Hey, is anyone going to that fanforce party being sponsored. Jedisis and I were thinking about going out to dinner with a group that was gathering after Friday's festivities. She was emailing him but I don't know what's going on. I just want to meet as many of the people as I can of the ones I am talking to on the boards. You know faces with the names. What are you all planning if you get to Celebration?

20. que4zone

Mar 7, 2002
    I'll go to the Party if any of you are going??.. Let me know.. We'll talk..

21. Bujo

Mar 18, 2002
    I got into the Marriott!! Woo hoo! Now, instead of a 6 mile taxi ride I have a 5 minute walk.

What I know about my plans for Celebration II is this much:

Myself and a friend are leaving Milwaukee around 4:00am on Friday and driving to the Marriott. We are going to park the car and walk to the convention center (by this time it should be around 9:00am). Our plan is to soak up all we can as early as possible and then amble about all day Friday. We might take a break to go check in to the hotel and maybe catch a nap and then go back. After it closes on Friday, we are going to go out in the downtown there to clubs/bars/whatever they have. This is my one vacation and I'm going to party like a rock star Friday night. Saturday will be rough but we'll get to the convention center and hang out for most of the day, and then probably drive back that night.

I would love to meet some of you there. I don't know my work schedule for April yet, so I may not make April 13th, unless you guys all plan on being down there into the evening.

22. LeiaYT1300

LeiaYT1300 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 7, 2002
    Afternoon all!

Well, we finally booked rooms for ourselves in Indianapolis (it's next to the airport, about 5 miles away, but since we're driving in, there's no reason why we can't park at the convention center or nearby, and hey--it was nice and cheap! In this economy, I like cheap! More money for collectibles! :) ).

I'm not quite sure what we plan to do. I'm in the costume contest on Sunday, so I will be preoccupied with that that afternoon. Saturday morning, we'll be taking a quick trip to see the Indianapolis Art Museum--I know they have a fabulous collection, and I'm curious to see it. Plus, it gets me bonus points with the boss. :D

We should arrive sometime Friday morning. Hopefully tickets for the music concert set for Saturday night won't be sold out, as I've never had the chance to hear Williams' music live before, and I'm told the Indianapolis Philharmonic is just wonderful. As for the party, I don't know. If I can get tickets at the last minute (like after we arrive and decide it's something we want to do), then we might go (although I haven't broached the subject with my boyfriend yet...).

I don't know. I guess I'll find out when we get there. It'll be interesting to see the numerous club tables, talk to other fans, take pictures, get autographs, and generally have a good time. I'm already realizing that 3 days is just not enough for this. But there's always Gencon...

We should find a time and place to meet during those days, like, say for example, noon by the SW store on Friday or something to that effect. You guys go ahead and throw out some suggestions. I'd love to put faces to the names and icons, too. Except for Saturday morning and Sunday's costume contest, I'm pretty flexible.

Of course, you are more than welcome to come to the costume contest and watch me make a complete goof of myself! [face_laugh]

Oh and by the way, so far I can make it on the 13th. Things with my costume are running smoothly thus far, and I don't anticipate any disasters.

23. que4zone

Mar 7, 2002
    Bujo - Are you in the 'Courtyard Marriott' ?? That's where I'll be staying..

Leia - We could decide a meeting place on April 13th, since we don't have the fully details on everything.. uhm.. Do you collect??

~ My curiosity hopefully won't kill me.. hehe..

24. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
    We should just talk on the 13th and try to decide if there is some way we could get together down there. We are about 5 min away at the EconLodge. We went cheap so that we could save money for other things. I'm not a big collector but I have a feeling I am going to be starting.

25. que4zone

Mar 7, 2002
    I'm not a huge collector and I usually don't buy the most expense.. I usually just buy the action figures but around here, where I live, finding the right ones are a pain...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.