main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Milwookie FanForce

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Bujo, Mar 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    Bobafemme,
    I understand that. We will decide on it on the 13th and I will get the info to you shortly after that so that we can submit it with weeks to spare. Thanks for your help. You are a topnotch RSA. Now I know why they were so happy to welcome you people back.

2. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    It's up here! :)

Don't worry about the nagging (or should I say badgering), I just want you all to know I'm here for you FanForce needs.

3. que4zone

que4zone Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2002
    Hey!! Thanks Bobafemme.. Keep up the great work..

Uhm.. Everyone is writing so much that I can't keep up.. SO.. Hi!! Megan.. and anyone else I might of not seen..

Also.. if your interested, check out a 'WisconsinForce' website that I've been working on >> CLICK ME!! <<.. However, I have been getting errors from the Geocities server.. But that will be fixed as soon as we get our own URL and Host..

4. mirrax

mirrax Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2002
    Hello everyone. It's great to see all the Wisconsin fans in here. I met with Marajoan and Jedisister yesterday, what a relief to know SW fans in my area!!

I'm going to try to make it to the April 13th meeting. I'll be going to Celebration II with my daughter. We also went to the one in Denver, so we're both looking forward to NOT standing in the rain!

Can't wait to meet you all and hopefully we can get together in Indianapolis.

5. mirrax

Apr 2, 2002
    I know a reporter for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - she is a big SW fan and she interviewed us for an article before TPM. We also met with her at Celebration I. I'm still in contact with her and maybe she could meet with us, do an article or something. I'll email her and see what she says.

6. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    Was the reporter's name Gemma Tarlach by any chance? If so she interviewed me as well.

7. mirrax

Apr 2, 2002
    yes, it's Gemma and I just emailed her about the meeting on the 13th.

8. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
    Thanks Mirrax, we can use all the publicity we can get.
    Hey everyone, since there are so many of us going to C2, if we publicize a meeting we have while there, we can be only one meeting away from officialdom. So if we go out to dinner or barhop together, we can qualify. It's a thought for the 13th.

9. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Hello everyone, we didn't start reading this thread until probably earlier this week, since we're new to the group. Since some other people listed bio stuff, I thought I would to.

Though I usually do the typing and stuff, I usually speak in the plural since there are two of us represented by the Wampas. My wife and I have been married for a few years now (it will be four September 12th). We both work second shift Monday-Friday so that we can go to school during the day. She's working on a computer degree, and I'm working on a Statistics/Probabilities degree. What's it good for? I don't actually know.

Star Wars is the big love of our lives, even surpassing hockey, the Maryland Terrapins (I went there for four years and am from there), our ferrets, and other things. Even video games.

We're both for setting up the Milwookie fanforce (though should it be Milwookiee?). I didn't read this whole thread since I'm pressed for time today and about to get ready for work, so I don't know all the perks, but they don't really matter too much to me. I think it would just be nice to say we're officially a chapter. As it turns out, we should probably be able to make the art museum meeting on the 13th. Marcy will be on call that weekend for work in case the system goes down, but other than that, we should be free. We look forward to seeing people there.

We're also avid collectors of Star Wars (and a few other things to lesser extent) so always count us in for anything involved in finding Star Wars stuff.

Looking forward to the meeting and to becoming official,

Dwayne

10. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
    Wampas,
    It is not Milwookie fanforce. That is just the name of the thread you are on. It will probably be Wisconsin Fanforce. We want to work on making a state-wide one like Minnesota. We just have to center around one city and Milwaukee is the most active.

Glad to see you can make it on the 13th. We can talk about details then.

11. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    I thought that was the name we were going for, since the Indiana chapter is called "Hoosier daddy Luke" or at least that's listed after their name in the FanForce USA - MidWest entry. I think it would be cool to have a name other than just Milwaukee FanForce. Milwookiee sounded kind of cool. Think of the merchandising! Milwookiee the lunch box, Milwookiee the flamethrower...

12. que4zone

Mar 7, 2002
    I'm sorry to tell you that we will be 'Wisconsin Fanforce'.. We would like to appeal to the entire state and not just one city.. We picked MilwaukeeForum for the fact that more people go there, there are more people in Milwaukee and other reasons that are from my mind right now.. We also thought that it would look something like this example:

Wisconsin Force: Ah! The power of cheese

This is what Minnesota Force does, and it works for them.. And I think it'll work for us..

13. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
    We don't mean to offend anyone but some of us are not from Milwaukee and we would like to be included too. Minnesota's takes in the whole state. You are more than welcome to come up with something slogan that is not unique to Milwaukee. We would like to get the people in Oshkosh, Appleton, Manitowoc and Madison involved somehow so we don't want to limit ourselves to Milwaukee. For now, most of the activities will center around Milwaukee because that is where the most people are active. Once we are official, we hope to get some of the other areas of the state to sponsor something.

14. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    There's a Madison and a Green Bay group (or at least you can click on them from MidWest) so I assumed (from the group name at the top) that we were the Milwaukee group. I know, it's wacked logic, but... Sorry to offend people not from Milwaukee.

15. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
    If you have like three regular posters from a certain city, you can rate a city forum. These are not fanforce groups. Only the ones that say the name of a fanforce group after them are official. i.e. Indy Knights, Chicago Fanforce, Minnesota fanforce. We are working on getting the Wisconsin Fanforce on the Milwaukee city forum because if you look at the post dates on Green Bay and Madison, you will see that it is days, sometimes weeks before anyone posts anything new. Milwaukee was not much better until we started talking fanforce and now we have a lot of adults talking, not just teenagers. No offense, teenagers are more than welcome.

16. TwistyMaeSkywalker

TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2000
    Dwayne and Marcy, Twisty here, from the collectors group...have you guys heard anything from Elizbeth and them? And any mention of all this?

(PS, I know it was just teenagers in here, marajoan, but some of us were serious about all this. :))

17. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    Hey Twisty,

I thought Elizabeth moved. Since then there was one scheduled meeting which we couldn't attend because of a family problem. The lawyer guy...Peter is it? Wasn't really happy at that point so we hadn't heard anything since. There was a few postings since then we've received but other than that, nothing. How about you?

Dwayne and Marcy
    The Wampas

18. TheWampas1138

Apr 2, 2002
    I understand the part about it being named the Wisconsin FanForce, I was just explaining why I was mistaken in the last. I really didn't mean to offend anyone simply by being mistaken. I hope that it's all settled now. As for the business of the meeting, I've heard a few ideas tossed around, and I think the best so far, following the art museum, would be the food court of Grand Avenue since there is space, you can move tables, and people can get anything they want, or just a soda, or nothing at all. Someone mentioned bar hopping, but as we do have interested teenagers, I think it would be a mistake. It would automatically alienate them just because they aren't 21. I've been in love with Star Wars since I was four, in my teenage years, I was stuck in a world devoid of Star Wars. It wasn't until around college that Zahn wrote his books, and Hasbro started producing that Luke that looks like He-man, and Chewie which looks like someone from Planet of the Apes. I would have loved an outlet when I was that young to meet with other people who loved Star Wars as much as I did. So I'm all for keeping our meetings open to them and bar hopping precludes that.

As for names, I think we could do better than the ordinary Wisconsin FanForce. The only things I can think of are silly, but I haven't given it time. We can kick around ideas at the meeting. But I think we should also talk about Star Wars and activities, other than just trying to get official. I'd rather be in a fun group, than an official one. I think by starting out fun, official will become easy. It should be a social thing, not a stressful one.

19. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
    Wampas,
    I agree with you about the barhopping. I don't even want to go there. I also like the idea of Grand Avenue food court. Nobody is looking what you buy and it is not that far from the Art Museum. I want teenagers involved. I would have liked to have had something in my teen years. The official thing is just so we can do our own posting instead of going through an RSA. Three meetings seem so simple since most of us are going to Celebration. All we have to do is post a dinner meeting or something down there and we have #2. Some of the suggestions were Brewer games, Great America, zoo trips or just a picnic in summer. I just want to be with people who don't think my obsession with Star Wars is childish. I guess the official thing does that. No pressure okay? I have found out it is cool to exchange info on the SW things we are interested in with people who know. The posting thing for answers can get a bit tedious.

20. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
    No offense to you Twistiemae, I just couldn't post before because it was like getting into a private conversation with you and your friends and being totally lost. I wanted to put some faces to the names on the board so I am pushing for face to face meetings. It is easier to organize that with adults because of the times we are in. I want you to come if you can but it is not a good idea for an adult to meet with teenagers on a one to one basis unless you already know each other. Now that we are meeting with a large group, it is easier and safer for everyone. I'm also not from Milwaukee, so I have those small-town fears. Sorry, it is not anything personal to you or your friends.

21. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    "I just want to be with people who don't think my obsession with Star Wars is childish."

Well stated.

Just last night I was out with my wife and a couple friends. My wife mentioned that I was going to Indy for Celebration II. I got the expected reaction - some rather odd looks and a few laughs. I'm sure you are all familiar with situations like this. We are all good friends, and it was no big deal, but I think I may now understand why I am a fan and why I am SO looking forward to Indy - almost as much as actually seeing the new movie. Just to be able to talk to people that don't think you're an idiot for being a fan will be worth the price of admission. It's something I've never been able to do before.

I am looking forward to meeting you all!

22. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
    Thanks Mauler,
    That made me feel better. I thought for a while there I was getting to intense. I think that I need to just be with people who see this Star Wars obsession as normal.

23. Bujo

Bujo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    Just felt I needed to chime in . . .

Hey, I'm down with whatever for Apr 13. It's going to be a big day for me regardless, so no matter what we do, I don't really care. Been a fan forever, no matter the circumstance, and will continue to be so.

On "naming" this FanForce: as you can see from the thread, I started the "Milwookie" thing, mainly hoping it would catch an eye or two and generate some response to whatever I wrote. Whatever we end up being named is indifferent to me. I had seen "Hothlanta" and "Orlando System" and the such and just threw out a name which I thought was clever. It wasn't meant to seggregate <sp> any other Wisconsinites.

24. que4zone

Mar 7, 2002
    I totally understand the name game. Milwookie is clever and I like it!! And Wisconsin FanForce is pretty much the default, but I think it really says it: We're all from Wisconsin and we love Star Wars.. 'Simple'.. Also, It's easier to change a motto than a name. . . That's just my 2 cents and I also in this to have (99%) FUN!!.. mmmkay...

25. marajoan

Mar 3, 2002
    We can talk about on Saturday. In the meantime, put your creative juices to work to come up with something clever.
    Wooksconsin Fanforce.
    Just no Yuzhan Vong ideas, I really hate them.
    Keep the ideas coming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.