main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Mind Over Matter [post NJO viggie]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by thesporkbewithyou, Oct 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    Author: thesporkbewithyou
    Title: Mind Over Matter
    Characters: You figure that out
    Genra: Mush - I think.
    Era: between NJO and TJK
    Summary: someone conquers a fear
    A/N: For the purposes of this story, the child featured is around five. Also, this is un-beta'd so any mistakes are entirely my own. Enjoy!

Mind Over Matter

"Okay, now it's your turn. Up you go!"

As the lady beside me pushed me closer to the big ladder before us, clearly intending that I should climb up it like the other kids did before me, I shook my head emphatically and clutched at the hem of her robe. For years my mother had been trying to to convice me that this was what most people my age would consider fun, and every so often she would take me here to see other kids go on it. But there's no way she'll ever convince me that that thing is fun. My whole body shudders every time I see someone go down it. I always hear loud noises coming from the kids who go down it, and assume the worst, especially since I never see them again. Oh no, she can't fool me. She tells me that my father's waiting for me on the other side and would make sure that nothing happens to me, but how could he be on the other side if I can see him sitting on the sand, calling words of encouragement to me?

"Come on, it's not scary. You can do it! All the other kids have done it and they're fine, You're a big boy; it's not so hard."

But if all the other kids have done it, then why is the only sign I see of them after they've gone down is their footprints on the sanda, which disappear after the boxs edge? I shook my head again, and held on even tighter to my mother. Finally she sighs, which is something she does often, but I know not always because of me, and speaks to my father.

"Maybe we should just give up; he's just not ready yet. We could always come back another time."

I didn't hear my father's reply, because I was too busy staring at my mother, and focusing on the one emotion that I never felt from her because of me: resignation. And that was something that didn't sit well with me. No one has ever given up on me before, and it's not a nice feeling. I don't want it happening again. I was my parent's child, and no ride was going to get the best of me if I could help it. I tugged at my mother's robe and set off towards the ladder, ignoring the laughter of everyone around me.

I took a deep breath and started up the first step. Then, making sure my feet were secure and my hands firmly gripped the rail, I climbed up the second, and then the third one. A warm feeling spread through me and gave me the strength to go on to the next few steps as my mother called to my father:

"Look! He's doing it on his own!"

By the time I was almost at the top, I was begining to have second thoughts. My knees were shaking so badly that I was no longer sure that my footing would be steady enough, and my knuckles had turned as white as the cup of milk I had in the morning. I looked back hesitantly at my mother, half wishing that she would come and take me down. But all she did was offer more words of encouragement.

I climbed on.

Finally I was sitting at the top of the stairs, looking down into the metal tube that would bring me down, having seriouse regrets about this whole adventure. But there was nothing I could do about it now. There were other people behind me, and I was going to show them who was boss.

Taking another, deep breath, I pushed off and slid down the tube. The cool metal actually felt pleasant on my back, and though I didn't enjoy the squeaky sounds, the speed was exhilirating.

The ride down was over all too soon, and I found myself hitting the sand where I could see the footprints of all the kids who had done this before me, and knew they had gone to a better place.

The warm feeling spread through me again as my mother and father scooped me up and almost squished me in a three way hug, but I didn't mind.

"You did it Ben! See? That wasn't so hard!"

My father planted a kiss on the top of my head, and as he drew away, I locked m

2. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    *steals first review*

I will be back in a bit with the review ;)

it's laters [face_dancing]

oh oh oh so cute
    I so love how you describe his fear of climbing up the ladder, a metal beast who will eat him up. To consider a slide as a beast in which kiddos get lost is great.
    It saddens me to see that Mara is so impatient ... or disappointed when he refuses first.
    But then again it is her impatience that makes him climb up.
    And it?s great how you describe the slide itself and the landing in the sand.

superb done, Sporky
    Definitely a joy to read :D [:D]

~ Mags ~

3. double_blade

double_blade Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2005
    awww nice...u go benny...show that slide who is boss...
    though i think u are the first kid to actually be afraid of a slide

oh well
    would have been more fun if he destroyed the slide with a force smash power...but meh

gj spork...or splade if ur from where i come from

4. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    Mags:*steals first review*

Go Mags!

oh oh oh so cute
    I so love how you describe his fear of climbing up the ladder, a metal beast who will eat him up. To consider a slide as a beast in which kiddos get lost is great.
    It saddens me to see that Mara is so impatient ... or disappointed when he refuses first.
    But then again it is her impatience that makes him climb up.
    And it?s great how you describe the slide itself and the landing in the sand.

*grins* Well, imagine being only five years old, and looking up at some big thing that you don't know what it really is. You would think it's a monster too. As for Mara being impatient, this has been a reoccurring thing. This Ben has been refusing to go on the slide for years.

superb done, Sporky
    Definitely a joy to read

[:D] [:D] Thanks Mags! Glad you liked it.

double_blade:awww nice...u go benny...show that slide who is boss...
    though i think u are the first kid to actually be afraid of a slide

*shakes her head then raises her hand meekly* Actually, there was this huge slide at a park I used to go to when I was a kid that I was always afraid of. It always looked so huge to me.

oh well
    would have been more fun if he destroyed the slide with a force smash power...but meh

*grins* Unfortunately, Ben can't control the Force that much yet. But I can just see it now.

gj spork...or splade if ur from where i come from

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it. *blinks* What's a splade?

5. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Nice. I especially love first person fics.

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    That was wonderful! =D=

7. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    SilSolo:Nice. I especially love first person fics.

Thanks, so do I. They're a challenge to write sometimes in general, but it's nice to get into the character's head.

VDRLVR64:That was wonderful!

*grins* Can I tell you that this morning when I checked back for reviews and saw your name, I nearly had a heart attack? I'm so glad you liked it!

8. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Oh, so cute! [face_love] Little Ben is adorable...and the slide is his first step into a larger world. ;)

So sweet, great job!

9. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    ginchy:Oh, so cute! Little Ben is adorable...and the slide is his first step into a larger world.

So sweet, great job!

Thanks for reading!

10. thesporkbewithyou

Feb 13, 2005
    Ups this one more time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.