main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Minimalists wut.

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Only-One Cannoli, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I guess what I'm saying is, it wouldn't hurt to carry a few tampons in case of emergency... being that they weigh nothing and take up very little space. Do the boy scout thing and be prepared, you know? :p

2. R2-DK

R2-DK Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2011
    So do you have any blankets for when you sleep on the floor?

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm betting that she has a sleeping bag.

4. Ostrich_Stapler

Ostrich_Stapler Jedi Master star 5

Jul 9, 2004
    Better! I have a Toy Story blanket. :D

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Do you use pillows or you just sleep straight on the floor?

My respect for you will go up hugely (orders of magnitude) if you answer the latter.

6. Ostrich_Stapler

Ostrich_Stapler Jedi Master star 5

Jul 9, 2004
    Well now I'm not answering. [face_not_talking]

7. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I meant to say I would be completely non-judgmental regardless of your answer?

8. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I own far too much crap to ever be minimalist. I am addicted to stuff. And yet more stufffffff.

9. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I have a Darth Maul blanket......

10. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    You and OS should have a slumber party.

11. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I'm really torn right now on this subject, because I've been reading these blogs and then watching Hoarders while cleaning out my childhood room to move out. I feel torn both ways. IS THERE NO JUSTICE FOR SENTIMENTALITY?!

12. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    When my wife and I got our first apartment (out of school), we had zero furniture and kept it that way... Our bed was a sheet on the floor (no pillows).

I actually admire minimalists in a way and have thought I'd try it (not the extreme version) if I was single and just starting out. Work, save almost all your money and invest it until you have enough to then live off your portfolio proceeds (4% rule adjusted to you're age) for the rest of your life. You'd be free to wander the country and globe until you're ready to settle down.

13. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Could more people share experiences about sleeping straight on the floor, especially if you did so without pillows?

14. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Look at it this way: Keeping stuff you like and that really mean something to you isn't bad, but when it gets to the point to where you got stuff just to have stuff, or are keeping things that by all rights should be thrown out, then you have a problem.

As long as you can watch Hoarders with a mindset of "I could never live like that", you'll be fine.

15. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Yeah I cannot stand clutter or mess of any kind, I just find that show really fascinating and it motivates me to clean. So I guess that's good. But I also find the minimalism stuff to be a bit crazy. There are some aspects of it that I like, but I think that's just a bit of me being frugal. Like, I don't see the point of having a set of dishes or silverware if I'm just me. 1 bowl is fine, 1 fork, 1 spoon, etc. But then when it comes to stuff like a bed, I'm concerned about sleeping on the floor because of roaches and back problems and all that. Also sex would be kind of painful on a wooden floor.

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Sounds like these "minimalist lifestyle" people are kind of giving Minimalism a bad name.
    Also, there is something to be said for wanting to keep things in life somewhat simple and all, but this is going way too far. People often take things too far, I guess. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.