main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Minimum Specs for Vista revealed

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FatBurt, May 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Minimum Specs

Recommended Specs any less and some aspects will be disabled

1gb memory minimum

15gb HDD

128mb Graphics card

1gb Processor Recommended specs

This is a higher requirement than a lot of Games these days.

New graphics protocol is Windows Aero not DirectX

Your probably best off getting a dual core processor to run this bugger as well due to its massive requirements 2gb memory would probably be best.

It comes to something when your operating system is capable of overtaxing your machine.

I'll stick with XP until I know enough to go to linux [face_plain]

2. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Vista???

What the hell is that? I must be very far behind the times [face_plain]

This laptop im on is windows 2000 professional and it hasnt failed me once. My old PC was XP and kept playing up.

Ill stick with the antique thank you very much Mr Gates

3. Glass_Onion

Glass_Onion Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 29, 2005
    I've played around with a few of the betas for Vista and it's pretty fun. My PC meets all those though so there's no lag for me when running it. Still very hefty for an OS, I wonder what you'll need to run a new game on it if the OS is using all that...

FatBurt: If you're getting into Linux I found this to be a good guide if you need to look something up. :)

4. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Is linux easy to use?

I'm getting sick of microsoft so I'd like to use something new when I next update the PC (dualcore processor for me)

5. Glass_Onion

Glass_Onion Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 29, 2005
    That entirely depends on the distro mate. Ubuntu's probably the best for beginners but if you havn't installed it it would be best to wait for the new version to come out on 1st June. Playing with the beta releases it's a lot easier to install that the current stable release. It'll take a bit of getting used to aswell if you're used to only using Windows because of the little things like installing programs in the command line and not double clicking a file.

I really wouldn't trust or advice Vista on a computer that's got permanent access to the internet anyway, the UK have requested a back door to UK machines running it which means they'll probably have it even with no official statement. It's not like I've got anything to hide, I just don't want something that hackers will find it and abuse it or having my PC scanned reguarly.

6. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Think Different. Think Apple :D :p

7. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I'd rather have a PC than a mac but I'd rather use the latest update of liquid manure for PC's than Windows ATM.

Can't get quicktime to load when I'm bodding round the net.

i.e Youtube shows bugger all but the stupid Quicktime logo when I try to load a movie there.

8. rebeljediknight_88

rebeljediknight_88 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2005
    vista looks kool but im not goin to get in anytime soon!!

9. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Of course, the new MAC is basically just a PC with Apple Software on it.

10. Dickie

Dickie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2005
    Yeah, but it's the software that makes the difference. For me, OSX is far superior to Windows in every way, and I don't get how it's a PC underneath anyway, surely all computers are the same underneath? Processor, mobo, gfx card etc?

11. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Not really. Until recently MACs used proprietary hardware that normal PC-based software (i.e. windows, linux etc) would not run on. It was also the reason that hardware upgrades and the basic raw price of a MAC was so much higher. You'll still run into limited expandability problems on the MAC OS due to limitations within the OSX code to recognise and support multiple hardware vendors. That is currently the PC/Window strength still.

However, the latest MACs are now using standard Intel-based hardware that is cross-platform compatible. In fact, I'm seeing people with newer MACs that want to do more gaming creating dual-boot machines, one with the latest OSX flavour on it for all their MAC work and the other partition with Windows XP for gaming.

But what it comes down to is personal preference. People will quote stats and issues for both sides. What it comes down to is what you're comfortable. For example, "everyone" complains bitterly about XP, and yet since I put it on my machine I've had no real problem at all, whereas my mate has had to recover from several crashes on his MAC. Just two different types of swings. Some like the ease and simplicity of the normal swingset, others the originality and fun of a tyre swing.

12. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    Those specs completely rule out our PC.

I intend to buy a laptop with Vista after it comes out, if I haven't spent all my money on PS3.

13. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Get a Wii

14. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    Nah, i've always been a Playstation fan, and i've got a HD Ready TV, so i'd like a High Definition Console and Blu-Ray DVD player to make use of it. Plus, more of the games I like won't be on the Wii, such as Pro Evolution Soccer 5 etc.

My youngger brother is the Nintendo fan and he's getting a Wii, so I will have access to one anyway.

15. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

Scabby gyet.

i can only afford a Wii, but then again as my sig says it's the one I want so thats what I'll get.

16. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    May have a butchers at this to see if our PC can run it. The toolbars look rather swish I must say. And considering we've never bought an OS since Windows 98, cheap as well.

17. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    Oh Joy! I get to build another PC :oops:

And as for the Graphics Card, it's not just any old 128Mb. You will be looking to spend upwards of £130 if you want to enjoy the latest games......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.