Minis rules questions

Discussion in 'Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by VoijaRisa, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VoijaRisa Force Ghost

star 5
    I just picked the game up (thanks to my g/f and I being at a store and her going "these are cute. I want a rampaging wookie!") and it seems to be pretty straight forward. There's a few things I'm a bit sketchy on still thought.

My #1 issue is that I can't find anything in the rules about range of weapons. Unless a character says they're limited to melee, or is lobbing a grenade or something, it would seem blasters can fire all the way across a map? Seriously? Without penalty? This rule just seems stupid if I'm reading it correctly.

Next up, on the reverse side of the starter's set map we got, there's some imperial facility map. It has places labeled as "Interrogation center" or "landing platform". Do these serve any purpose? Are there vehicles that can only get placed at landing bay or something?

I'm also curious as to map sizes. These starting ones seem fine for only playing with 100 points worth of characters, but I wanna have an epic battle with 20-30 little guys in my squad! And I want that giant AT-AT. Are there bigger maps for those? Do you make your own? If so, how? I don't really want to print out a bunch of sheets and tape them together.

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions later.
  2. hothie Jedi Master

star 2
    Welcome to the game!

As far as attacking, there are 2 main types: melee, and non-melee. There is no "range" for non-melee attacks (in time you will learn to call them that, as that is the main distinction between them.) Non-melee attacks have no "range" limit. If you can see a legal target across the map, then you may attack them. The only penalty will likely be a +4 to the defense of the target due to cover. Melee attacks are only for adjacent.

I highly suggest you read the rulebook that comes with the Clone Wars Starter set (the latest edition, pack goes for about $15.)thoroughly. Many questions will be answered there.

As far as the Interrogation Center, etc, no they don't serve any purpose, unless you are doing a scenario built for that map that might include it for some reason. The mapmakers at wotc allow for ROG players to use them, too, so it may have something to do with RPG scenarios, too.

As far as maps, there is a more open map that comes with the AT-AT pack. That one is suggested for big hoth battles. Other maps are good for your regular battles.
  3. VoijaRisa Force Ghost

star 5
    And no one else thinks it's stupid that they can shoot just as accurate across an entire valley as they can at a target 3ft away?

Anyway, new question: Can large vehicles like the Corporate Alliance Tank Droid move over low objects? It seems like many of these vehicles wouldn't be able to "climb" over them if this were all real.
  4. hothie Jedi Master

star 2
    Yes, all minis may move through low-lying objects (green). It costs a movement of 2 to move into a green square, unless the mini has the "flight" special ability. Some minis ignore terrain (like Obi Force Spirit), and wall-climbers may ignore the terrain as well if it moves along a wall.
  5. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    If you don't like the existing rule, make a house rule for ranges. Warhammer minis game has measuring sticks for range attacks. Or you can measure a length of string, put in markers (say every 5-10 inches) and put in penalties (-2 per bracket?) and go that way.
    You can even make it more interesting/difficult if you have separate ranges for pistols vs carbines vs riffles.
    If you want to go to that length of trouble.
    Just a thought.
  6. VoijaRisa Force Ghost

star 5
    New question: If a character (such as Obi-Wan, Unleashed) uses Force Repulse 3 (30 damage to all characters within 3 squares: push back Huge or smaller characters to 4 squares from this characters), does that include that character's allies? Additionally, what exactly does it mean by "to 4 squares from"? Do you include the ones Obi and the target are standing on? And what happens if there's already someone in that space? Do you move them to the side? If so, who decides to which side?
  7. VoijaRisa Force Ghost

star 5
    Is cover cumulative? In other words, if you're shooting across multiple areas of "low objects" (the green ones), do your targets get +4 for each?

Similarly, if I have an area of "low objects" behind which a line of troops is standing, and someone standing just behind those troops, how is cover figured? Does the target get +4 defense from the "low objects" or does the zone of clear fire get extended thanks to the line of troops in front? Assuming the troops don't extend the zone, would the troops in front cause the defender to get cover, or do you not get cover being adjacent to people too?
  8. buellsmith Jedi Knight

clone wars rule book page 19, " No matter how many terrain features of character provide a character with cover, it gets the +4 bonus to Defense just once. A character never has "double cover".

for your second question. If the line of fire crosses the low objects then the target would gain the cover. Its kind of hard to answer the question without a diagram. but honestly the whole cover and line of sight thing confused me for the longest time, until someone actually showed it to me. but characters do provide cover as well it just depends on where the shooter is standing when he takes his attack roll.

The zone does not get extended, but the allied figures do provide cover.

i hope that was helpful.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.