main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index Minor League Directory: An index and discussion thread for minor characters. New challenge!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Minor_League_Commish, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    The Whimpering Locker is a character you run into on Manaan- there's an underwater station that has been basically destroyed, because something happened to make all of the Selkath go crazy. Well, one of the few human survivors of that fray hid himself inside a locker, and you find the locker. He's clearly gone a little nuts himself, because all he'll say is stuff like "Chomp chomp, food for fishies!" See, they apparently tried to eat him. And he refuses to come out. You can have the Dominate Mind power, and he won't come out. Believe me, I tried for a long time to coax that guy out of the locker in the game. :p

Fishy? Fishy fishy....

2. HyperionRising

HyperionRising Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2007
    HELL YEAH THE WHIMPERING LOCKER!!!

3. yodas_waiter

yodas_waiter Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2006
    My favourite minor character must be Wedge, pre-EU. I also have soft spots for Tion Medon, mainly because of how cool he looks and Rune Haako, because I feel sorry for him. One of the reasons why I like the Prequels is because the plethora of minor characters which makes everything look more interesting.

Of lately, Owen and Cliegg Lars have become favourite minor characters since I'm writing a fic centred around them. Researching and writing minor characters really gives one an appreciation for them.

I also adore the Whimpering Locker in KOTOR. Best random NPC ever. Basically, I love absolutely ridiculous characters who walk on the screen, do something hilarious, and then you never see them again.

"Can't get me, fishy, fishy"

We should have a fic centred around the the Whimpering Locker! Who's up for it? [face_thinking]

Oh yeah, and this might be a good place to make a shout for the What's the Story? feature over on the official site. It's a feature which lets Fan Club members write backstories for minor/background characters in the Saga. The best backstories are picked by judges and become official canon. I myself have had the great honour of having a backstory I wrote become official canon. Unfortunately, the feature is going to be discontinued in 2008. But check it out, you'll find some really cool stories there for otherwise uninteresting background characters.

4. HyperionRising

Sep 15, 2007
    I'll do it. I'll do it right now, in fact!

P.S. We should make it a challenge.

5. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    I love writing about minor characters. Because they aren't well-established in canon, I have more freedom to do with them as I please, but there are certain guidlines to follow that make developing them easier, at least for me. Like their names. I'm terrible at coming up with names out of the blue. :oops:

My favorite minor characters are Jocasta Nu, Mon Mothma, Cerasi, and Roenni. I'm sure I have more, but I'd have to think about it. Oh, I liked Scout too. :)

Great thread idea, Alexis! It's time the minor characters got some love. ;)

6. yodas_waiter

yodas_waiter Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Write a Story for the Silliest Minor Character? :confused: ;)

We should try and identify all silly/goofy minor character in the Star Wars galaxy. They're out there!

7. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    I started a Whimpering Locker fic ages ago. I still remember the premise. I should write it. :D

8. Abeja

Abeja Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    My favourite minor character would be Hobbie Klivian, as it can be seen in my signature[face_blush]:p
    But I love the others from Rogue Squadron too- the Fab Four (Wedge, Tycho, Wes, Hobbie), Wraith Squadron too

Uh and Alexis; Minor_League _Commish;), you lost my stories? :confused:? Huh? How so? And you have my permission already....^^

9. HyperionRising

Sep 15, 2007
  10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    My favorites are tied at Piett and Rieekan.

11. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Now that's really cool. Which character was it?

I just lost them in my MS Word document I was using to keep all the links to the stories together. I think it happened when I accidentally turned off the insert feature and typed and pasted other stories over them. I knew I had your permission, I just meant that since I already had your permission I'll insert them when I have the chance. Sometimes I word things stupidly. :oops:

Another thing about minor characters besides not being well-established in canon is just because they behaved a certain way in the little screen time/or page cover they had, does not mean that's their total personality. For example, take Owen Lars... In ANH he was surly and gruff. In AoTC, he was just there... and in RoTS, he was standoffish (who knows what was going on in his mind though). Was he like that all the time? Only someone sweet and even-tempered like Beru could put up with him... it'd take alot of patience, and someone not easily offended. For that matter, was Beru always sweet, patient and kind?

I'm happy with the great response to this thread. :D
    That was really cute. [face_laugh]

12. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    RE: the discussion topic.

Admiral Firmus Piett!

I once had a novel planned about him and Vadey, but I never wrote it.

KellyLCrutcher likes this.
  13. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Fun index!!

Who is your favorite minor character (or characters if you can't choose just one), and why?

Shada D?ukal and Mirax Horn

Because the Jedi and Imps shouldn't have ALL the kick-ass females. [face_mischief]

[edit] and Morrigan Corde. (Although she might not be so minor pretty soon.)

14. HyperionRising

Sep 15, 2007
    Who's Morrigan Crode (still too angry over the Dark Nest Trilogy to read the books)?

15. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    She's from the Legacy comics. Imperial agent and Cade Skywalker's mother. (And my current icon.)

16. Minor_League_Commish

Minor_League_Commish Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2007
    Woah, talk about family resemblance!

Cade:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Cade.JPG

Morrigan:

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/1/1a/Morrigan.jpg

17. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    They both look creepy and blonde. That's resemblance?

18. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    My fave is Jango Fett.[face_love] There is so much space in his biography. And since I luke guys that look as if somebody practiced step-dancing on their faces, he's just perfect.[face_blush]
    I don't think Boba does really count, there is so much stuff about him. Even if half of the trilogy 'The Bounty Hunter Wars' seems to have been retconned. *shrug*
    I don't really like Boba, anyway. I just ended up writing him a lot.:p
    I like stories about imperials, and most of those are minor characters. Maybe because I just love OCs and the line is much thinner between minor Cs and OCs.[face_thinking]

19. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Nice to see this thread up and running. :)

Who is your favorite minor character (or characters if you can't choose just one), and why?

Hmmmm...that's tough. When I'm in the mood to write a villain, I like Sly Moore mainly because there isn't much known about her except that she is evil and quite creepy.

For non-villain roles, I like Shmi Skywalker. She is a fascinating character I wish had more screen time.

20. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Well, actually the Morrigan icon Jedi Trace is using shows the resemblance better.

I should have included a link to Kol's (Cade's pappy) to complete the family resemblance, as I believe Cade looks a combo of both:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Kol.JPG

21. HyperionRising

Sep 15, 2007
    That's called genetics!

22. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Cade is hawt! [face_love]

Ahem. [face_blush]

But yeah, speaking of Kol, he's another minor character I'd love to read more about. I actually had a plot bunny for a Kol/Morrigan fic. Don't know if it'll make it to page or not.

23. Luton_Plunder

Luton_Plunder Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 15, 2006
    Great thread :D

Agreed with all comments about the Whimpering Locker. Now that's characterisation :D

I think my favourite minor character comes out of left field. His name is Page, and he's a commando. Mentioned once or twice in a few of the books, but that's about it. He's got little to no backstory so if I ever write a fic about him I can just go to town with the heroics :p

24. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I love Page! He's such an Average Joe Schmo. :p

I always liked the smugglers that Zahn created - Aves, Mazzic, H'sishi (sp?), Shada - because their world reminds me of old westerns. Feels like we've never seen much of that world, and that's definitely our loss. Can't forget the Terriks, either!

Shawnkyr's another cool character. In fact the entire Chiss society fascinates me to no end.

25. Commander-DWH

Nov 3, 2003
    I'm also a big fan of Jarael.

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/d/dd/Jarael.jpg

She kind of kicks a lot of butt. :D And she's extremely loyal, which is also a good character trait.

If obscure characters counted, I'd add Zayne Carrick to my list. But seeing as he has his own comic series, I guess he doesn't really count. Even if he is adorable. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.