main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Minority Report - Creating the Pre-Vis Screen

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by kungfu, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kungfu

kungfu Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2002
    Hey,

Does anyone know if it is possible to create the screen seen in Minority Report (the one that Tom Cruise uses his hands to control)?!

If so, how would you go about creating this (doesn't have to be exactly the same, but resemble it) - ie. bluescreen perhaps?

Thanks for any help, really appreciated...
    Joel.

2. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    All depends on how its shot. If the guy manipulating the screen is closer to the camera, then yeah, a bluescreen would be helpful. If the screen is between the camera and the user, then no... you could do most (if not all) of the effects in AE.

Been a while since I saw the film, though, so I don't remember the look of it all that well...

3. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    Yeah, it'd be a pain to make that effect though. I just watched the end of minority report. Maybe I'll watch the beginning later and look at the screen again. I imagine you could do it all in AE, but it would be a pain I'd think. Maybe you'd need some 3D elements like backgrounds and such.....or maybe some of the elements ON the screen would have to be CG, but you could do most of it in AE and composite the CG stuff in AE.

4. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm trying to remember what it looked like... wasn't it mostly lines and footage?

5. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    Well...that's what I remember...but there may be more that I don't remember. After all, I haven't seen the "screen" since opening day in theaters.

I'll see if I can get some screenshots from my DVD that I just got yesterday on my birthday. :)

6. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    [image=http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/redeyeraptor/pdvd_008.jpg]

Screencap of Pre-Vis Screen.

And like that...he's gone.

7. kungfu

kungfu Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2002
    Thanks for the replies already! Whoa!

We haven't shot it yet, so that's still open to suggestions as to how we go about it.

What we're after though, is the translucent effect that the screen has.

8. Gardulo

Gardulo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    Oh then make one in your favorite 3d program and alpha key it over

9. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
  10. kungfu

kungfu Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2002
    Nice, I suppose I could try your method.

That is, if you are willing to share the secrets? :)

11. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    really nothing secrent about it. Just added a layer over the footage with some noise. And I added those horizontal lines to give it a man-made kind of quality. Then had another layer over that that was white which had the animated masks on it that followed my hands.

12. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    As I recall, they used a transparent screen with tracking markers on it and just composited the images over the screen, keying luminance, etc. to keep the gloss of the screen intact.

Spielberg being the type of guy who refuses to keep the camera still, it was hell to composite.

I'd have to read the last issue of CInefex again to give more accurate blow-by-blow.

M. Scott

13. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    this could be done in any 3D program that has camera matching... you just match up the scene, and create a geometry that matches what ever screen your graphics will be projected on... make your projected footage and add whatever graphics you need for that, then just apply that as a map onto your 3D geometry... composite the shot together, playing with the opacity and luminosity, and there you go... instant holo-vid screen i've actually attempted a similar effect with several holo windows being projected from a holocron... very cool effect...

14. Neumann

Neumann Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 5, 2002
    Hey, if it's any help, I made these studies of the displays from the Minority Report computer systems if you want them, I'll scan 'em in.

Chris

15. Gardulo

Gardulo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2002
    Hey Dorkman I have the latest Cinefex and there isnt anything on Minority Report
    Its all about Spy Kids and LOTR

16. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    That's because Minority Report was covered in the previous issue (91):

Cinefex 91

17. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, by "last" I meant "prior to current".

Damn homograms.

M. Scott

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.