main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Minority Report: Relevent implications? & Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by JediTrilobite, Nov 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    After seeing Minority Report in the theaters, I began to think of the implications that were present in the film.
    This is what I came up with, things that seem to be in conflict with today:
    - Government Authority over used
    - Individual privacy
    - Guilty until proven inoccent

Am I just rambling?

2. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I wouldn't say you're rambling at all.

- Government Authority over used
    I would say that the current government in the United States is used only when someone needs a purpose achieved; whenever someone needs to gain something, it seems to be used. Of course, these things overshadow the smaller conflicts that happen day to day, such as break ins, stolen cars, etc. The system is effective, but due to the nature of our society, the authority is used as a tool; bent to the will of the lawmaker's. Almost nearly any sort of authority is used in this manner, though.

- Individual privacy
    I would like to think that I have privacy, yet I know I don't have as much privacy as my grandparents. I mean, you can find an overhead screenshot of where you live on a Microsoft website (here). It seems privacy just fades away as technology comes in. You can now find nearly anyone's phone number or address thanks to the internet.

And I really can't comment on the last one, since I haven't seen the film. But that's how I feel about the other two issues. I probably ought to see the film before I start comparisons and constrasts, 'eh? ;)

3. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Well, in the film, Precogs, (genetically different people who can see the future) witness murders in the future, and have police forces (Precrime) catching the killers before they commit the crime. Some however, have a different timepath that one of the three precogs see. This is called a minority report, which John Anderton goes out to find. Some of the killers might have stopped themselves before hand. Therefore, they might be arrested for a crime that they might commit in the future, although they wouldn't

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.