main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mirroring in The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by 11-4D, Oct 18, 2017.

1. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Revival of this thread thanks to HD screencaps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Be warned...this might stop your heart.

Vader (Real Father of Leia and Luke) trying to get information the from Princess where the Rebel base is (she revealed only a long deserted rebel base as it turns out). Luke later comes to save her.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Luke comes to save Leia from none one other than her real son Kylo Ren! In a rebel base (this one long deserted!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You still there? :D

MJ

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  3. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Wow!

Nice.

Missed one. There’s some serious mirroring when Rey is in her version of the cave that she narrates to Ren.

4. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    This is within the film itself and not the series, but I did appreciate the contrast between Rey and Kylo's worlds in these opposing shots.
    [​IMG]
    Rey's continued fascination with a world much different than she's known. Water the symbol of life....
    [​IMG]
    ...contrasted with Kylo's isolation wall and rain of sparks falling down in his artificial and materialistic world. Very nice visual storytelling.

Of course Kylo sees water on the glove. A foreshadowing of a new power, but also the symbol of his emptiness and inability to ultimately connect to the sources of life: Rey.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  5. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    If you look between the temple and the rubble you can see the bodies of the students which mirrors this visual in Revenge of the Sith:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    The mirroring, rhyming, and echoing of the ST has been nicely done in my opinion. I'm fascinated by how TLJ is the polar opposite to TESB.

7. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Not a visual mirror, but I realized why there's a kind of classic feeling in a small moment before the Holdo maneuver.

SD Captain: "We're not going to attack?"
    Piett: "I have my orders from the Emperor himself; he has something special planned for them. We only need to keep them from escaping."
    *Cut to throne room*

FO Monitor: "Sir! The Resistance cruiser's preparing to jump to lightspeed."
    Hux: "It's empty. They're just trying to pull our attention away. Pathetic. Keep your fire on the transports."
    *Cut to throne room*

8. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  9. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Great thread. Obviously people can post what they like, but I do think it's better when we try and highlight echoes/ mirrors that contain some kind of meaning and are therefore likely intentional rather than trying to match up shots that more than likely contain no significance - ie Kylo's TIE silencer and Zam Wessel's speeder in AOTC. Klimo makes this mistake constantly, and it tends - IMO - to undermine the efforts to highlight potentially genuine mirrors.

10. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Well, now I feel bad for posting this but it came to mind recently.

I can’t find the exact Holdo intro shot so I have to use this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Some magnificent comparisons here. I salute all the contributions made. ^:)^

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  12. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't do images but take the dialogue of Leia saying Luke has a power she could never understand and Luke telling her she has that power too.

Then show Anakin jumping her off the ledge like 80 feet in the air and landing perfectly on the platform over incredibly hot lava.

Then show Leia flying to safety her own way.

smoothkaz and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
  13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    this one's been done so many time it's kind of a staple, lol.

[​IMG]

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  14. IlhamKamaruddin

IlhamKamaruddin Jedi Master star 2

Nov 29, 2017
    Call me crazy but I just realised there were bodies there! I only focused on the burning temple and Luke! Thanks for pointing it out. :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    whostheBossk and MarcJordan like this.
  15. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
  16. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    BB-8 implicates Finn.
    [​IMG]

Ben implicates Luke.
    [​IMG]

17. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    themoth, TK327, smoothkaz and 3 others like this.
  18. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    The Jedi Temple burning on Coruscant and this scene:

[​IMG]
    The Insurance company is never going to believe this

19. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The greatest mirroring between TESB , AOTC & TLJ is splitting up the hero's so they go on there own journey.....

20. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    Ahh, this thread is beautiful. I'm so happy that Rian paid attention to the Lucas' use of visual rhyming. I think J.J. did an excellent job as well in terms of storytelling parallels, but I feel Rian really understood the more subtle mirroring of the Saga as a whole and the "visual jazz" aspects.

21. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think it's fascinating to see how each of JJ, GE and RJ really tapped into different aspects of the core essence of SW. I think JJ really captures the heart, spirit, stakes and fun - GE captures the world building and sense of galactic conflict - and RJ really captures the mysticism and hero of a thousand faces aspect, in the same kind of challenging way that ESB era George and Kersh did. Really interested to see what JJ and Terrio tap into. I can't see JJ going back to the nostalgia well now.

22. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
  23. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I don’t know if there’s another thread more specifically for these kinds of dialogue callbacks, but there’s also a more direct mirror in these lines:

Admiral Piett: I have my orders from the Emperor himself. He has something special planned for them. We only need to keep them from escaping.

General Hux: I have my orders from Supreme Leader Snoke himself. This is where we snuff out the Resistance once and for all.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  24. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I loved this mirror from the moment I recognized it. The crossfades between parents and children communicating to each other through the Force.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And how's this for a double mirror? In this scene Kylo was on the cusp of killing his mother, whereas Anakin was on the cusp of saving his mother in AOTC.

25. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Some of these are pretty great, others are more coincidental.