main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mirrormask

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by mrsvos, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I just picked up Mirrormask on DVD today. I came home from work and immediately watched. You must go out and buy this or rent it now!

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I've seen the trailer for it. Looks neat.

3. tal0nkarrde

tal0nkarrde Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    Being a big fan of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, I was naturally drawn to MirrorMask. The soundtrack was sent to me for review. The musical score contained a great deal of calliope music - circus stuff - mixed with eerie and often times freakishly scary music (who could have thought that any rendition of Close to You could be so chilling?).

I was intrigued enought to do some research on the film. A young girl in the circus, dying to run away from the circus when others are running away TO it, has an argument with her mother. The mother falls sick and the girl blames herself. On the evening of her mother's surgery, the young girl falls asleep and dreams of a world in which the White Queen is in peril and only she can save her. But is it all a dream?

I finally got my hands on a copy of the movie and watched it last night. Neil Gaiman's works are usually rich with quests and adventure and MirrorMask is no exception to the rule. There is a sense of urgency about the film as we are made to feel like Helen is on a mission to save her own mother's life rather than that of the Queen. Helen's dream world is marvelous. The addition of the Jim Henson Company's creations add to the strangeness of it all. As always in Neil Gaiman's work, there are lessons to be learned in MirrorMask. I particularly enjoyed the scenes when Helen would look through the window...don't want to give away the store here, so I won't tell you what she sees.

I will say that any Neil Gaiman fan will love this movie. It's great for kids...and just as much fun for adults who enjoy a bit of supernatural fantasy every once in a while.

4. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I've been dying to see this movie- ever since I heard it was coming out in September has it been on my 'must see' list. Unforunately, until now, I've never been able to see it. Now that it's on DVD, however, I have a chance. Yes!

And I'm very glad that it's as good as I thought it would be. Must get my hands on this movie...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.