main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive misc Art.

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Cheveyo, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordDarthUmbrus

LordDarthUmbrus Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Wonderful work, Cheveyo. As a graphics artist myself I can appreciate the intricacies of these works.

I have yet to merge traditional and digital media in my own work, and it suffers for it.

Where I can render a great lightsaber in Photoshop or a vivid blaster bolt, I cannot render the detail in shading that I would like in the actual subject of a piece. I use Illustrator primarily for drawing and, I must say, that it is very hard to 'sketch' something with a mouse. I long for a Wacom artboard, but money is tight.

I once worked in Prismacolor pencils and was able to shade with greater ease. Do you use a Color Layer or channel when coloring the pieces?

I'll need to take a page from your book and try the merge the two.

Thank you for sharing. You're work is inspiring to me.

2. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    HS: Cheveyo, there's not much I can say for these drawings, but WOW! I thought your colored images were superb. I think these are even better. Just the amount of detail and the realistic qualities in everything is outstanding! You work very well with a pencil if I do say so myself.

Thanks! I've used pencils the most, so it is with these that I have the most experience. Again, I love the eraser!! :D

JW: But I think the thing I like and admire the most is the natural way in which you pose your drawings. They all look extremely life-like.

Thank you very much. I've been trying to expand on the classic "poses". I don't think I'm there yet, but in time... also, going through my portfolio recently I discovered that (I probably shouldn't point this out) my faces tend to have all the visual emotion of a droid!! I'm presently working on that, as well. lol

_Artoo_: I love the costume designs for your characters in particular, they?re so different. Your colouring is always spot on too, how you handle the lighting from lightsabers, just wow.

Thank you! That has been a struggle, I admit; deviating from the known and accepted SW universe. I'm one of those "don't mess with canon" fans, and so all of my fan art (and even fan fiction) must exist within the realms of plausibility in Lucas' creation.

LordDarthUmbrus: Where I can render a great lightsaber in Photoshop or a vivid blaster bolt, I cannot render the detail in shading that I would like in the actual subject of a piece. I use Illustrator primarily for drawing and, I must say, that it is very hard to 'sketch' something with a mouse. I long for a Wacom artboard, but money is tight.

A Wacom tablet... or any stylus, really, is just short of necessity when using digital medium in art. I learned that too well! :) I found that my detail improved exponentially after I bought my wacom. I understand the funding constraints, too. It took a while to finally get it (and it took a couple gift certificates, too. ;)). I bought a smaller pad than I had hoped, but it still works wonderfully.

I once worked in Prismacolor pencils and was able to shade with greater ease.

Yes, blending with oil-based Prismacolor pencils is limiting only in the amount of color you can add--or cover. Otherwise, I love working with these pencils on everything except faces... they give me a hassle for blending, etc. It was this (and my disdain for my prismacolored lightsabers, actually) that drove me to digital coloring, as a matter of fact!

Do you use a Color Layer or channel when coloring the pieces?

Neither, actually. When I first began using Photoshop and PSP, I used color layers. Now, I do it the hard way! For every color that you see one of my pictures, there is a layer duplicated from the original with all non-related piesces of the image erased. So in essence, every layer is an opaque piece of the subject, with color painted right onto the actual image layer. Time consuming, but I like the outcome.

Thank you for sharing. You're work is inspiring to me.

You're very welcome, and thank you for the compliment. :D

3. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Wow! Those are really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really good!!! :eek: [face_hypnotized]

4. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Wow, ThrawnRocks that is so so so so so so so so so so so so so nice of you to say. :D

Here is the last archived SW illustration to post (from here on in will be new stuff... and slower in the coming o_O)

Kyle and Kovy

Also, Just for some variation, I have twice now painted my daughter's wall. Here is the first iteration:
    The Reading Tree

And here is what it looks like presently (same wall, painted in June '04):
    Under the Sea 1
    Under the Sea 2

5. JediMasterMazzie

JediMasterMazzie Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2004
    That's pretty awesome! You should work on those kind of shows like Trading Spaces.

6. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    You did a really noce job on Kovy's hair, it really looks like it's blowing in the wind. Also you did a nice job on Kyle's outfit. It looks like he's wearing leather...

...nice leather ;)

7. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Very kind. I admit though, that I am personally not fond of thios image of Kyle and Kovy. The lighting is off, and her outfit is "tired". This was also my first attempt at a chiss. In a little while, I'll post my latest iteration of Kovy. I think you'll enjoy the difference you'll see in styles! ;)

8. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Your artwork is simply gorgeous. What a great talent you have. =D= Thanks for sharing it.

9. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Cheveyo, as always, my mouth hangs open in admiring disbelief of your work! ;) Fantastic stuff! I think the "Kyle and Kovy" piece is wonderful: their expressions and poses, and again, the fantastic coloring (I especially love the hightlights of their lightsabers, on their clothing and faces--it's perfect, and lends a vivid reality to the piece). And how lucky is your little girl?! What a great dad, to so beautifully embellish her space as you have! =D= Well done, sir--well done! We all wait in giddy anticipation of your next post! :p

FF

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Cheveyo, everything that I wanted to say, FalconFan already covered quite nicely. Then again, I guess it wouldn't hurt to hear that your work is fantastic once more! ;) Truely amazing stuff! Keep it up! =D=

11. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    You all are just awesome for the ego, you realize! [face_laugh] Thank you very much for your compliments.

My daughter's room was painted with a bizarre combination of acrylic paints and latex indoor house paints (eggshell base) of various base colors, then mixed accordingly. I painted over the tree because I was so tired of it (and I didn't like from day 1 the way I had painted the leaves--yes, I have issues). Now that we have a sea wall, though, I'm eager to paint again! lol I'm not sure she is quite ready to abandon the plankton yet. She, of course, has final say.

I think we're looking at doing a princess castle scene next---possibly something that better incorporates the other elements of her room.

As an aside, I later figured out how better to draw leaves (to my liking). I painted this on the closet doors of our friends' nursery:
    Buggy Tree

Another Chiss drawing (Kovy, actually), coming shortly!

12. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    When I said shortly, I meant really shortly. ;)

Okay, here is my current iteration of Kovy, a new drawing, new look, and new program even!! I have since replaced my outdated Photoshop with Paint Shop Pro 8 . I find it to be far more user friendly, and easily up to the task (for about half the price of the Photoshop upgrade!).

Kovy

I really love this one! This was my last completed Star Wars art piece for 2004. (My last completed art overall was a character drawing of an elvish druid a la D&D.)

13. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Yup, that kicks all kinds of booty!

14. JediMasterMazzie

JediMasterMazzie Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2004
    wow, that's pretty awesome job! Your work is one of the best around here.

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I am once again blown away. In the new one of Kovy, I like the contrast bewteen the colored image and the portrait done in pencil in the background. It flows really nice together. Fantastic job! :D

16. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oooo, what a great version of Kovy! HS29 is so, so right in pointing out the beautiful contrast of the graphite image overlaid by the colored one--stunning! And I really like her appearance: very exotic, perfect for a Chiss! Wonderful closet mural, too--would you be interested in doing some work in my house...? I suck at home decoration! [face_laugh] Beautiful stuff!

FF

17. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    Wow! That's really nice! Her outfit looks very chiss. She reminds me of one of the characters for Final Fantacy for some reason ;)

18. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Thanks everyone! this is what Kovy should have looked like in her first version (with Kyle). Of course, two-years' experience later, things are always a little better. :)

The idea to draw Kovy with a portrait backdrop came from a request from Kyle's owner to incorprate both Kyle drawings into a single image. That came to be this:
    New Kyle
    (You may recall the previous version of Kyle's drawing was shown back on page 1.)

Also, I did a second version of Kovy (renamed "Akima", after one of the main characters in the movie Titan A.E.--love that flick!), which has no alteration to the original portrait, mean she has pupils. ;) The face is human instead of Chiss, butr otherwise identical to "Kovy".
    Akima

What I'm about to share is not so much art as paying homage to my favorite game, Jedi Academy. I made two banners using screencaps I took during play:
    Jedi Legends
    Jedi Legends: The Slayer

19. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Yea! Another person who likes Titan A.E.! :D

I really like how you're showing all your different versions of Kovy. It's really neat to see her in different ways and with different compositions.

Kyle is also very well done. Kudos! :D

20. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Yeah, perhaps I'm obsessed with Kovy just a little bit--she's such a great character though! lol

I will have more soon, I promise!

21. corellian_chic242

corellian_chic242 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 17, 2003
    Ah, you have a new thread! :)

I have praised your work up and down before, but.... You are so amazing. [face_love]

And I like the Kovy pic a lot.... Very lovely. :)

22. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    Cheveyoyour stuff just gets better and better. I love that framed 'Kovy' pic.

23. Sithly_Angel

Sithly_Angel Jedi Youngling

Feb 26, 2005
    Stunning work! Your skill cannot be expressed in words....

24. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Thanks guys! It's much appreciated. :D

I'm going through a rei-write of my website, and am adding a FAQ/Q&A section. If anyone has any questions about my art or anything else, please let me know! Or better yet, post them in my Guestbook.
    :D

You can see my current website (and my guestbook~ahem) at www.brettanilsson.com.

Of course, you can help me keep my thread alive in between my projects by asking stuff here, too. :D

25. Cheveyo

Oct 29, 2001
    Also, in playing with my old pieces (I know! I can't leave well enough alone!!), I decided to do to Devery what I had done with Kyle .

I made a few alterations and came up with this:

Devery Kumaro, Jedi Knight

Seems kind of backwards, with the older Dev in the hazy imagery, with the younger Dev as the main subject. Prophetic, perhaps?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.