main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Misconceptions about Canada

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Entil`Zha, Feb 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mahms_katarn

Mahms_katarn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    Il est rigolo G. Bush, (cause we have, in France emission which makes fun of the policy). "Les Guignols de l'info". Its very funny.

2. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Admiral, c'est special, c'est bien rigoler pour votre sante!

Mahms, j'adore les comedies avec les politicians...comme Saturday Night Live ici est tres amusant, comme dans le passe le "fake" debate avec George Bush(W. Ferrell) et Al Gore(j'oublie l'actor), j'aime les choses comme ca! :D

Sur le program en France, "Les Guignols de l'info" do they ever make fun of Chirac?

3. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I've always loved SNL's Bush.

Here in Canada, we have two popular shows that satirize politics. One is Royal Canadian Air Farce, and the other is This Hour Has 22 Minutes. Both good shows. They mostly make fun of Canadian politicians, and rarely touch on George "This left-wing pretzel is trying to kill me" Bush and Al "I invented the internet" Bore.

4. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
  5. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    It was a re-run of course but the SNL debate was is so funny between Bush and Gore...Gore keeps talking about a "Secret Lock box" and keeps interrupting the commentator.. "and..yeeaass I will put all the problms in my secret lock box and only tipper and me will have a key to open the lock-box." Of course at the end the commentator asks Bush to sum up in one word what his plan is... he says.."Strategerey" [face_laugh] I love my Pres. but I love comedie and these actors are so accurate in portraying the funny side of our politicians!! :)

6. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    "One word sums up probably the responsibility of any Governor, and that one word is 'to be prepared'." -Governor George W. Bush, 12/6/93

7. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    [image=http://www.dragobit.com/chris/TrueCanadian.jpg]

Nu'ff said ;)

8. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
  9. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Followed by this gem I found:

Our Unique Canadian Identity
    by Dave Foley
    (from Mad TV)

A monologue told to an American audience on American network television.

I'm Dave Foley and I just wanted to talk to you, not just as a middle-rung celebrity, but also as a Canadian who has recently moved to your country. Now, I've been surprised to find how little Americans seem to know about Canada. Granted, there are many similarities between our two nations, but there are also many subtle differences that give us our unique Canadian identity.

For example: in Canada, everyone hates Barbra Streisand, but here she seems to be quite popular.

And there are other differences too. We don't have States we have Provinces; we use the metric system. Canadians and Americans both love football, but in Canada the game is played slightly differently. The field is a different size for one thing. The CFL field is seventeen miles long and six feet wide. So understandably, games are a little longer. In fact, the 1949 Grey Cup game is still in progress!

Many Americans believe that our national anthem is "Oh, Canada", simply because we enjoy singing it before hockey games. But in fact our national anthem is "The Night Chicago Died" by Paper Lace.

Our systems of government differ somewhat in that America is a republic with a president, a congress and a senate. In Canada, we are ruled by a small boy with supernatural powers ... of whom we are all very fond.

Now in the U.S. when a mommy and daddy love each other, they perform bipolar sexual intercourse and make a baby. Canadians, however, are a breed of hermaphrodites who reproduce by means of autoinsemination, thus eliminating the need for sex. This also explains why we don't really have a film industry.

And of course, how can we discuss Canada without discussing the weather? Yes, it is cold in Canada. It is very, very cold - are ya happy now? Yes, the average year-round temperature is 275 degrees below zero - but that is Celsius. Now can we talk about something else?

Like, for example, the fact that our atmosphere is pure sulphur dioxide, which is of course incapable of sustaining life - life as you know it. Or the fact that we only have gravity for six hours out of each day, and spend the rest of our time desperately clinging to trees to avoid being spun into the endless abyss of space.

Yes, all this is true ... but at least we have universal health care.

10. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    Wow...I am SO not Canadian!!! I only understood maybe one or two of those!! Yay, I'm still American!!

*runs around living room dancing happily*

11. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    What if all 30 of those things apply to me? Should I be concerned?

Also, YJN, I would appreciate it if you would ask before posting my picture on the Internet. That orange touque is most embarrasing.

12. Izird

Izird Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    What? Chris, that picture is you! [face_laugh]

That's awesome! :D

13. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Yeah. I have beer and a gun. Don't go anywhere near me.

Actually, despite what the URL says, I was kidding.

I wear a Davey Crockett hat when I hunt at the side of the road. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.