main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Misconceptions you had as a kid Prequel Edition

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AT-AT Walker, Sep 22, 2013.

1. AT-AT Walker

AT-AT Walker Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2013
    Posting over in the Classic Trilogy Misconceptions thread, I thought I'd start one here. For the fans who were kids during the PT, what misconceptions did you have about the films? I was already grown when I saw it, so can't really contribute, but I'm dying to know!

Share your misconceptions. :)

2. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I saw The Phantom Menace in Hungarian when I was ten years old, and Palpatine and Sidious had different voices, so I thought they were different people.

I also didn't know the Episode numberings of the OT, and during its premier, I thought Episode I would be the only prequel.

purplerain likes this.
  3. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I thought "Jar-Jar" was the character name and "Binks" was the actors' name.

SateleNovelist11 and purplerain like this.
  4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Until the very end of TPM when my dad noted that Palpatine and Sidious were the same, I thought they were two different people (though I was only eight years old).

This is a PT and OT one, but I had been looking at toys before I saw the movies, so when I read on the back of ANH's cover that Obi-Wan Kenobi was on it, I thought he would be the "Obi-Wan Kenobi" action figure I'd seen in stores–a.k.a. Episode I Obi-Wan, Ewan McGregor, Padawan braid and all. I was surprised when he was an old dude.

I have posted this somewhere before, but when Palpatine said "Darth Plagueis the Wise" I thought he was talking about Darth Nihilus from KOTOR 2.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  5. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Welcome to the Boards AT-AT Walker!

Leading up to the film, I was certain that Darth Maul would be the PT-villain until Anakin acquired enough dark side power to defeat him, then take his place as Vader.

6. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    It also didn't click with me until after Ep. II that Sidious and Palpatine were the same.

I was also certain that Boba would come back to kill off Mace before the OT.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I as well thought that Palpatine and Sidious were different.

8. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Pretty much anyone who has never seen any Star Wars films, and who starts with TPM, doesn't know that Palpatine and Sideous are the same.

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I saw the OT movies first before 1999 and TPM when it came out at age 7 and never connected the two. Never watched the credits to see who played the guy. Before my time on the internet as well. Yes, I knew Palpatine was the bad guy but since Sidious didn't appear in the OT never thought those two were the same. Thought he was another apprentice, just like Maul and the rest were.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  10. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Sidious briefly appeared in "EMPIRE STRIKES BACK" and was the main villain in "RETURN OF THE JEDI".

11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Palpatine. Not Sidious.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't ESB and ROTJ in 1980 and 1983? Sidious was introduced 1999?

cwustudent and purplerain like this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  13. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Palpatine and Sidious are one and the same. That has always been clear, even if Lucas did not use the name - Darth Sidious - in the OT. Many people who first saw TPM back in 1999 and had already seen the older trilogy, knew this.

14. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    Well I was only a kid when TPM came out in the cinema, I would have been 10, however I think I figured out that Palpatine and Sidious were the same person because they dressed exactly the same. In hindsight it was probably a poor assumption, but it turned out to be right. My 10 year old self wasn't too clever.

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I thought Qui-Gon was alive and mouthing words while he was on the funeral pyre.

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    That would've been hilarious and horrifying.

"Um hey guys this really really hurts."

17. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I always thought Valorum was evil. (until recently when I read Darth Plagueis)

18. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Throughout The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones I thought that Palpatine and Sidious were two different people (though being familiar with the Original Trilogy I knew that Palpatine would one day become the Emperor). Revenge of the Sith threw me quite the curve ball when it came out, even though I should have seen it coming.

I also thought that the reason that Qui-Gon didn't disappear when he died in The Phantom Menace was because he was actually a Sith, and that it was going to be revealed in one of the sequels that he had been so adamant about having Anakin trained because he knew that he would one day become Darth Vader. Then Attack of the Clones came out and showed a bunch of Jedi die and not disappear, so I threw that theory out.

"Truly wonderful the mind of a child is."

19. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I thought Queen Amidala was a witch.

Tython Dawn likes this.
  20. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2013
    I thought Jar Jar Binks was important part of the movies

21. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    U must've been having a twisted force-vision... cuz that's exactly what Vader did on Mustafar.:p

22. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Sidious' identity isn't that obvious even if you've seen the other trilogy first, since Palpatine's name is never mentioned in it. It is quite obvious that Sidious and the Emperor are the same person - considering his appearance and the musical theme that accompanies his scenes - but I for one would not have connected him with Palpatine if I hadn't learned from outside of the movies that that was the Emperor's name.

- Are you going to kill me?
    - I can't kill my own father.

/LM

purplerain likes this.
  23. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I thought that pod-racers were going to be the main source of travel for the universe. I also thought that Anakin was going to escape Qui-Gon's grasp and end up being powerful enough to become Darth Vader.

5 years old;)

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought Panaka and Mace were the same person.

#racist:(

25. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    I thought Panaka and Typho were the same person, and that the Core Ships on Geonosis were the same ship as the one from ET...

sarlaccsaurs-rex and TheWatcher like this.