main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Misconceptions you had as a kid Prequel Edition

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AT-AT Walker, Sep 22, 2013.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought a beetle was stuck on Typho's eye.

2. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    That The Phantom Menace was actually good.

3. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    To be fair, Typho was created to replace Panaka when the actor who played Panaka demanded more money than was originally agreed upon. So they are basically the same character, at least in where they fit into the story.

I got a lego set that had battle-droids before TPM came out somehow, i think the sets all came out half a year before or something. Either way, i thought the battle droid heads went on the other way round, like small flat faces and long heads.

This isn't really a misconception, but i had my heart set on young Boba killing Windu (or at least fighting him) in Episode 3. Now i feel that would be perhaps too much of an aside from the main story, but then i was a bit disappointed when that didn't happen.

Lastly, i thought the Separatists were building the death star because of that council scene in AOTC, but seeing as in EU they did kinda sorta almost make a mini-death star i wasn't really that far off.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  4. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I am also one of those people that didn't know Palpatine and Sidious were the same person. My sister and I finally realized it sometime before ROTS

Really I think of it as my "Luke, I am your father" moment of Star Wars, for me

5. Jedi Jabba

Jedi Jabba Jedi Youngling

Sep 29, 2013
    That Episode 1 was the best SW movie.

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    D- for creativity, but I'll give you a few points for effort for apparently registering just to say this.

Just plain D- here.

7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I thought that George Lucas wrote the OT, but he wrote it under someone else; so when he found out he was writing the PT and that it was actually happening before the OT, he got very mad. Of course, that's just silly; he was the brains behind the whole thing. :p

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  8. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Just to add to the whole Sidious/Palpatine thing, yes it's relatively clear that if you happen to know that the Emperor's name is Palpatine, you could connect the dots from Senator Palpatine to the Emperor. Sidious, however, is a mysterious free radical throughout TPM and AOTC. ROTS is the only movie that makes it abundantly apparent that Palpatine, Sidious, and the Emperor are all the same guy. Other than that, it's nothing but breadcrumb trails.

For me, I had to look at pictures of Palps and Sidious side-by-side in order to notice that they had the same jaw shape, and even at that point I didn't believe that they could possibly be the same person. It wasn't until a bit after Episode II that I made the full realization.

9. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    LOL!!! Denathor FTW

10. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    There was this one behind the scenes picture of Sidious from Episode I (I believe) that I found on the internet as a kid. It was a spoiler for me, because it was angled you could see under his hood. That's what finally clued me in.

11. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    I too, when I saw a picture of Amidala before TPM, thought she was an evil queen like there was an evil emperor....

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  12. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I don't remember many misconceptions so much as I remember a lot of confusion and way, way off predictions.

I was only 6 when TPM came out, but I had been obsessed with the OT for at least two years prior, so Phantom Menace confused the hell out of me. It's such a sharp visual departure from the OT, not to mention I don't think I had the firmest grasp of what a "prequel" was.

I think the fact Obi Wan (who is 40 years younger) and Yoda (who looked completely different) were the only familiar characters besides the droids really made it hard for me to connect it to the Star Wars films I already knew.

By the time AOTC rolled around, at 9 years old, oh man I was so ready for that movie. I definitely was shocked when it dawned on me that the clone troopers were actually working for the Republic.

Despite being older, I think ROTS was the film I had the most misconceptions and false predictions about, probably because I analyzed the trailers so many times.

I definitely thought the Utapauans were going to be some sort of ancient Sith race, and was really disappointed at how little they were featured because I found their design so menacing.

I thought that the battle over Coruscant would be 3/4 of the way through the movie, and would be part of an immediate act of rebellion against Palpatines new regime, which would end in a loss for the proto-rebels. Definitely was (pleasantly) surprised to see the battle happen right after the opening crawl.

And finally, even though I knew Palpatine and Sidious were one and the same, o thought that the glimpses of disfigured Sidious seen in the trailers were of a completely different Sith Lord, one who just happened to look like OT- era Palpatine.

13. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I really thought that because of the pod race TPM was the greatest movie there. I didn't even think there were going o to be two more episodes, I thought it was that good.

14. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Not a misconception, it really IS that good ;)

15. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    Maybe the pod race is!;)
    But I do genuinely like TPM, I've always enjoyed it.

16. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

That some SW fans would eventually learn to get over themselves and stop needlessly bashing the PT as if they were bent upon some propaganda campaign.

NoeHat, cwustudent, jc1138 and 12 others like this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Well Episode 1 was the best movie when I first saw it, then Episode 2 was the best when it first came out and Episode 3 was the best when it first came out. The newness factor always wins with me at first until I have had time to think about it. Then again I was young and full of optimism. I'm certain Episode 7 will be my favorite after I see it the first time. How it ends up after that I am not sure.

18. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    THAT'S the way to enjoy a franchise!!

19. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    I share in this same mentality. I try to be as optimistic as I can about the movies, I loved how the scenes and battles got better and better as the prequels came out.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Jarren_Lee-Saber Darth Dominikkus
    TPM and AOTC might not be my most favorite parts of the saga now but I do love certain aspects of those movies and they are Star Wars in feel. I liked Jar Jar when I was younger but he has worn on me a bit. The Ewoks don't bother me. I remember the lead up to ROTS the best and since I thought that that one was the last one for the foreseeable future and the fact that it wrapped up the saga and got us to Episode 4 made it perfect. The ending factor of how it wrapped it all up amped up the fun for me. I'm cautiously optimistic about Episode 7 but I will enjoy the ride. No matter how much everyone else might hate it and as long as it feels like Star Wars and continues the story of Luke, Han and Leia I'm not worried.

21. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    When I fist saw Attack of the Clones I thought the clones where going to be the bad guys because they had Storm trooper like armor and were clones of Boba's dad. Also having Attack in the title made me think they would be the villains.

NoeHat and purplerain like this.
  22. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I thought midi-chlorians was pronounced "mini chlorines", which also meant that Jedi blood was poisonous to non Jedi.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Vthuil like this.
  23. SnakeWesker

SnakeWesker Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2006
    I had no idea that Padme was going to end up being Leia's mom when I was watching Episode I.

24. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Lol

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    FFRRREEEEDOOOMMMM!!!