main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Misconceptions you had as a kid Prequel Edition

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AT-AT Walker, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I completely agree with you. Thanks for this.

2. DarthNightmaricus

DarthNightmaricus Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2013
    o_O my dad thought something along the lines of that as well.

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    If you live in Montana, you're grounded and go take out the trash. If not, welcome to the boards.:D

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Before TPM came out, I thought Padme and Leia were the same person.

5. MasterCece

MasterCece Jedi Master

May 30, 2006
    Although I was by far a kid when the PT came out, I saw ATOC before I saw TPM. And because I had not been introduced to JarJar in the first movie, I could not understand what they were calling him and because he was wearing a dress at the time, I thought he was a woman named ZsaZsa. [face_blush]

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I could have sworn that the first time I saw a ROTS trailer (appeared on TV one night) that Anakin or Obi-Wan or some unknown figures ran out of a giant door with flames or lava exploding outward behind them. Might be a figment of my imagination or something. I don't know. I remember it but can't find it.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. LordThanatos

LordThanatos Jedi Padawan star 1

May 18, 2013
    I remember having trouble connecting Palpatine to Sidious.. although I had my suspicions. I was 8 at the time TPM was released in my country.

8. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    When I was a kid first watching AOTC, I thought Jango Fett was the main character or at least super important.

And during the battle of Geonosis, I initially thought they went to another planet entirely after leaving the arena. The location change confused me.

9. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Back in 1999, I remember thinking that Palpatine and Darth Sidious were separate characters, despite being aware -- as I recall -- that they were played by the same actor. It was the fact that Sidious was called, well, Sidious, that threw me. Nice way of hiding the truth in plain sight.

This one isn't so much a misconception, but a mis-recollection. After seeing AOTC for the first time and looking back on it some time later, the final image of Anakin and Padme in my head, at the lake retreat, somehow got amended to include a baby crib, as if they were about to immediately bake a bun in the oven and pop it out in one night. I'm pretty sure I knew how babies were made by that point, back on Earth, but yaaaa.

ROTS? Again, not totally a misconception -- certainly, not a thrilling one -- but I was annoyed at the start when Artoo has hold of that little communicator and doesn't shut it off when the super battle droids are alerted to trouble. Instead, he starts stressing and hides it in his little cubby hole innards while Obi-Wan's voice is still crackling through the speaker. I remember thinking that that was a little dumb at the time, but now I feel like owing Artoo an apology. He lacks the finger-thumb opposition that we humans take for granted, so he probably couldn't shut it off. Poor little Artoo.

10. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    I was shocked that Darth Maul died in Episode 1. I thought that he would DEFINITELY be the main villain throughout the prequels. Honestly, he should've been. As much as I like Christopher Lee, and the character of Dooku, I felt he wasn't needed. I don't think we really needed General Grievous either. I enjoyed all 3 of the characters, but I felt like Darth Maul shouldn't have been killed on Naboo.

Of course, we know, he "survived" in the Clone Wars, but still.

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought before AOTC came out that the Clone Wars involved Anakin cloning himself multiple times to take down the Jedi Order.

Barbecue17 likes this.
  12. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    I used to think - wow, that's a huge garbage chute in the middle of Cloud City... do they really have that much trash??

13. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    In the line "If they find us, they will crush us, grind us into tiny pieces, and blast us into oblivion!", I thought Obi-Wan said "oblibion", which I in turn believed to be a made-up SW number that was incredibly huge. (hey, when you're in the GFFA, you gotta have some way to measure all those light years :p)

Pain and Suffering likes this.
  14. Master Fisto

Master Fisto Jedi Knight

Jun 10, 2013
    I was young but I remember reading that there was going to be a new Sith Lord in ROTS, I was super excited about it. When the trailer came out I thought the new Sith Lord was the leader of Utapu. (Forgive me for my spelling) I remember showing my cousins pictures of him! "Guys look how scary the new Sith Lord will look!" But then I found of that Palpatine was Sidious and that was just a mind blow.

15. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    I'd never watched the OT until I watched TPM. I remember looking at Anakin and asking my older friends "Is that... Luke Skywalker?" (as I'd heard both names) and she said "No, that's his dad, Anakin."

I never really got the full Star Wars experience like all of you seem to have.

16. DowClimber

DowClimber Jedi Padawan

Jan 26, 2013
    I was 9 when TPM came out and I remember knowing Anakin would marry Amidala because, by my logic, she was a queen and their daughter was a princess, so it made sense. I didn't realize that the fact that Padme was a queen and Leia was a princess was just coincidence.

I also had the huge misconception as a 9 year old that Queen Amidala was ugly because of all the makeup. It wasn't until I was older and saw AOTC when I realized how hot Natalie Portman was...haha

17. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    I thought Queen Amidala was a villain, Anakin was Luke's son (just goes to show how little I knew about Star Wars back when I was 8 or so), Clonetroopers were villains (they would become villains eventually) and also that Palpatine and Sidious were different people.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought Sidious wore a hood because his hair was all burnt off.

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  19. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    I was a Freshmen in high school when TPM came out- does that count?

I remember my friends and I waiting for Padme to have an affair/ seek solace/ do something with Obi-Wan that would be a catalyst for Anakin's downfall, eventually driving him over the edge.
    Not really a misconception as much as wrongful speculation.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the RoTS novelization he is a little suspicious of her and Obi-Wan, before he turns- it even results in arguments. But it's not exactly a catalyst.

AniLukeRey likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Back in '99 I thought Panaka and Mace were the same person.

#racist

themetresgained likes this.
  22. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    TPM

I was 4 years old when it came out, so I had some big ones:

-The very first time watching it, I thought the droidekas killed Obi Wan & Qui Gon on the Trade Federation ship:
    [​IMG]
    The VHS I had didn't had a very good quality and the "force speed" effect was confusing, so it looked for me that the shot hit and disintegrated them

-Darth Sidious and Palpatine were two different characters and "Senator/Chancellor Palpatine" was actually a good guy. In my country they were dubbed by two different voice actors so I never made the connection until ROTS.
    -Darth Maul was some kind of demon
    -Midichlorians existed in real life
    -Queen Amidala's servants on Coruscant were Sith:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At that scene I was like "OMG Anakin get out of here! That room is full of Siths!"

-Pod racers could fly just like regular spaceships (because of Sebulba kicking Anakin's pod into the safety ramp)

AOTC

-I didn't recognize Obi Wan at first in the elevator scene
    -Anakin was attempting to commit suicide by jumping out of his speeder, then he "casually" landed on Zam Wesell's one [face_laugh]
    -(The first time watching it) Some random flying droid shot the toxic dart instead of Jango Fett
    -For years I thought Sifo-Dyas = Qui Gon, because both died the same year (32 BBY) and had similar sounding names. I was conviced Sifo-Dyas was an alias created by Qui Gon to create the clone army without the Jedi Council knowing it
    -Jango Fett lost his hand when he cut the cable Obi Wan was holding on when falling out of the Kamino platform, I thought it simply broke because of Obi Wan's weight
    [​IMG]

ROTS

-After watching the trailers, I thought Pau'ans would be some kind of Sith species, I totally fell for that because of Tion Medon's grin at Obi Wan:
    [​IMG]

-Padme died because of the effects of Anakin choking her, I never got the "lost the will to live" thing

23. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    Same here! And the Sifo-Dyas thing was never addressed in RotS, so that drove me a little more nuts. It wasn't until later I decided to knuckle down and see what it was all about and found the (rather dull) explanation. They should have explained that in the films.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Maul95 like this.
  24. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013

Yeah definitely, it was confusing as hell. Even after watching ROTS I kept with my Qui Gon - Syfo theory until i found out the real explanation on the internet. It seems like they will address it now on TCW final episodes, but 12 years later is a little too late... [face_frustrated]

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  25. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    1) I didn't understand why the new star wars movies had episode I and II in it while the older films were called ANH, TESB and ROTJ. Then I checked the movies out from the library on VHS and saw Episode IV V and VI in the opening credits!

2) When I saw TPM in theaters I remember my friend telling me QGJ would die. I kinda knew when it would be because of that ominous/creepy music. I closed my eyes during that part :p

I also remember it weirdly different from the film. I remember the generator room in my mind had red metal doors instead of red laser doors. I also remember Darth Maul fell down the hole differently. My child memory is bizarre!