Missed Opportunity: AOTC's Coruscant Nightclub Scene

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by dsk2, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd, heels1785
  1. dsk2 Jedi Knight

star 1
    The nightclub scene in Coruscant IMO is a forgettable, under-developed scene that lacked 'atmosphere' or real tension. Everybody remembers the original Cantina scene, and for good reasons; A. it showcased a diverse set of dastardly aliens, B. it had a memorable music score, C. and it exuded a sense of menace, danger, and overall unfriendliness for our hero Luke (and of course the droids had to wait outside).

Imagine if GL had painted this scene with the same care. Little things I imagine that could have elevated this sequence:

- Mean, BIG Bouncers at the door. They let the changeling inside (as she may have 'changed'* into the right look, while they initially halt Obi-Wan and Anakin at the door. *At least then there would be a reason why Lucas made the character a changeling.

- While Obi-Wan tries the more peaceful mind control approach to entering ("You don't need to see our identification, You will let us in, etc."), Anakin loses patience (as always) and throws two light force chokes (recalling Luke with the Gamorrean Guards). this upsets Obi-Wan, but the two tread on inside anyway.

- Rather than a few glaring cameos by GL's daughter, and 3PO and Jar-Jar out-of-costume, and rather than a mixed crowd of non-threataning, clean models and sports fans, Obi-Wan and Anakin would find a crowd of dangerous, drunken patrons, i.e. Swoop Bike Gangsters, Pirates, Smugglers, Gamblers, Bounty Hunters, Hookers and maybe we can keep the Death Sticks dealer. A place that makes the Cantina look tame. We've already seen the high society of Coruscant, so let's see the low-lifes?

- The lighting, room designs and music would all be different obviously. Dimmer lights, more shadows, and either some house band (ala Max Rebo) or heavy-techno-inspired track could be playing. Ben Burt could think of something fitting.

- Now obviously, Obi-Wan and Anakin have to really be on their guard. Aside from a Changeling Assassin lurking somewhere, there's unfriendlies everywhere. This would cause tension for the obvious reasons, but furthermore it would make Obi-Wan nervous knowing his Padawan is always up for a fight. Once Obi-Wan cuts off the hand of his would-be assassin (as in the film), the crowd of unfriendlies would immediately back off these bad-ass Jedi.

In the end, these changes wouldn't necessarily have to change the running time of the sequence (no more than 15-20 seconds to accomodate the quick exchange with the Bouncers), but at least we would be left with an atmospheric, tense scenario.

And who's never wished they could use the Force, or a lightsaber, on some of those cocky bouncers? That's fantasy-fulfillment.

These are just ideas. Nobody get offended. Anyone else have other Missed Opportunity ideas for this or other scenes? And please, no "I like the movie just the way it is" comments. They don't help.
  2. Obladi_Oblada Jedi Knight

star 2
    Aw, I thought you were going to say something about Zam actually using her changeling abilities to try and trick them. Imagine if it was exactly the way it was with the cutting back and forth between Obi-Wan and Anakin. Then we see Anakin come up behind Obi-Wan. Some dialogue maybe. "I think she's gone." "Oh.. do you?" And out of nowhere he turns around and slices Anakin's arm off. At this point the real Anakin hurries over to see what happened and the Anakin missing an arm turns back into Zam.
  3. Deeysew Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Maybe GL didn't want to copy off of Gendy Tartakovsky's Samurai Jack which seems to include several of these types of nightclubs and bars all over its universe. :p

All joking aside, I agree. The nightclub scene could have been spiced up some if GL wanted to. However, it is quite nice to look at and had a pretty good joke in there with the deathstick guy. It was much funnier and memorable in GL's original screenplay, I hear, with no changeling thing and somewhat sexist undertones to the Anakin and Obi banter: such as the Annie: "I think he's a she." Obi: "Then we better be extra careful."

Oh well, maybe in the Special edition, eh. It's not like we saw the finished product or anything.... You know Lucas better than that.

Nothing's sacred in star wars.
  4. jangoisadrunk Jedi Master

star 4
    As King of the Gushers (self-proclaimed), I find it refreshing for someone to criticize ATOC in an intelligent fashion, and *gasp* toss out a few good ideas. :)

I like all of them, especially the "you don't need to see our identification" bit. That truly would have been a grand connection between trilogies.

I do not, however, think the scene is forgettable or underdeveloped. It served its purpose well.
  5. obi1jedinite Force Ghost

star 2
    agreed. intersting ideas, but i love the scene as it is.
  6. Deeysew Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I believe there was a missed opportunity to have Obi-wan get a rematch with Jango instead of Big-bad Sam jackson showing off his lightsaber skillz and letting the actual main character we've been following for the whole movie just go slice up some animal instead, which was cool, but showing off Obi-wan's coolness against a fett rather than his being kicked all over the place by him and not getting any payback for it seems like a missed op to me.

And I don't buy the idea that Dooku parks his ship miles and miles away from where he does his business. That makes no sense and makes the whole ending part with the chase and the duel seeem forced IMO. Honestly, if they wanted to kill dooku, call in an air strike when he reaches his hanger. Geez.

It would have been less rediculous and ten billion times cooler if Dooku went to the big expensive CGI-filled droid factory place to get to his ship that's in the hanger at the other end of the compound, but met our two jedi instead. Duel ensues, lots of coolness with all the factory stuff going on. It would have been really spectacular. :D
  7. Atticus Jedi Master

star 4
    Aw, I thought you were going to say something about Zam actually using her changeling abilities to try and trick them. Imagine if it was exactly the way it was with the cutting back and forth between Obi-Wan and Anakin. Then we see Anakin come up behind Obi-Wan. Some dialogue maybe. "I think she's gone." "Oh.. do you?" And out of nowhere he turns around and slices Anakin's arm off. At this point the real Anakin hurries over to see what happened and the Anakin missing an arm turns back into Zam.

But then people would bash Lucas for copying X-Men.

I actually like that idea, both ideas and I think that they both sound cool.
  8. Obladi_Oblada Jedi Knight

star 2
    Oh yeah.. I completely forgot about that part in X-Men. Ah well. I just thought it'd be cool if Obi-Wan sliced the arm off of someone pretending to be Anakin. And maybe Anakin could make a comment like, "That looks like it hurts... Think maybe you overdid it a little?"
  9. dsk2 Jedi Knight

star 1
    "Aw, I thought you were going to say something about Zam actually using her changeling abilities to try and trick them. Imagine if it was exactly the way it was with the cutting back and forth between Obi-Wan and Anakin. Then we see Anakin come up behind Obi-Wan. Some dialogue maybe. "I think she's gone." "Oh.. do you?" And out of nowhere he turns around and slices Anakin's arm off."

That's a great idea, and it would work for several reasons; it's a good little shocker for the audience (and it would be great had a photo of it been leaked before the film just to confuse all the fans, if there were no scripts or novelizations of course) and the visual of Obi-Wan cutting off Anakin's arm (regardless of it being him) has its own powerful, symbolic meanings.

Imagine Anakin walking up and essentially seeing himself on the floor, struck down by Obi-Wan. A disturbing sight, and a foreshadowing sight.
  10. battlewars Jedi Master

star 4
    yeah this scene was pretty flat and wasn't nearly as cool as it coulda been
  11. Thank_You Jedi Knight

The one major flaw in this scene is the total lack of music. We're in a nightclub and there's no music??? WTH?

It should've been loud and sexy in there. I would've liked to see someone actually smoking a death stick. Or maybe two alien chicks making out...Or maybe two evil looking dudes fighting and then getting kicked out by security or something.

But music...music...for the next edition, George.

Ok thank you
  12. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 6
    Someone did mix the old Lapti-Nek Jabba'a band song for their personal AOTC editions. :)
  13. Deeysew Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I just thought of something else. Not that I want more lines for jar jar, but this would have given him more of a purpose during parts of the movie. He's a new guy, right? He's not like solo who just wanted to get away from all this weird stuff, but was like LUke by wanting to be involved, asking questions, wondering about things. So why wasn't he used to give proper exposition to this new world?

First, he assumes these land dwelling human jedi can breath underwater. Sorry to say it, but sloppy cartoonish mistake GL. A simple, "oh these devices will help us breath underwater." Just like Obi's explanation to luke in ANH about what a lightsaber/force/mindtrick was, or Han's explanation about how they can jump into hyperspace were. They're not encyclopedia-worthy explanations, but good enough so that the scenes seems more realistic and interesting, the difference between a sculpture and a painting.

Second, a game of holo-chess on the naboo cruiser would have been fun and a nice recurring gag or motifs that Lucas likes to do in the PT. I'm not going into geeky fan mode saying "Oh kickarse it would have been teh awesome if this episode was a copy of ANH, w00t1!" No, even though it already sorta is. Anything would have been more interesting than a sleeping gungan and a poorly acted and written scene about the boy missing his mom. It's redundant. We got the point that he was going to miss his mom when he turned off the smiles and ran back to her, and when he asked quigon if she was free too. Not a hard cut to make for the next release to free things up and help the pacing. It's blatant forshadowing for episode three that never really works anyway becaus Anakin's just a little scrappy kid.

Third, ask what the force is. It was explained in ANH because if it wasn't we, the audience would feel like we were watching a PT film and Luke's sudden power to direct shots into exaust ports would make no sense.

Here's one for AotC again that I already mentioned in other threads.

Make Dooku, Mace Windu.

Moderators: Bazinga'd, heels1785
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.