main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Missed Opportunity for a love Triangle?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by sarlaccsaurs-rex, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I'm not against love triangles in principle (yes, they can be very badly done, but I can also think of examples I like, a la Guinevere & Lancelot), and in fact part of me likes to think about some type of Anakin-Obi-Padme triangle just because the fangirl in me loves Ewan's Obi so much...

[​IMG]

^[face_mischief] :p

...That being said, while it's fun to think about[face_love] :p , I'm glad it wasn't done, because I really think it would fundamentally violate Obi-Wan's character (his integrity, his devotion to duty, etc.) and, for that matter, Padme's as well. I agree with Samnz that the deleted parts about Palpatine trying to plant suspicion about Obi and Padme in Anakin's mind is the only way it should've/could've been "done" (at least done well).

Samnz, sarlaccsaurs-rex and Iron_lord like this.
  2. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    It would make an interesting what if scenario perhaps.

Pensivia likes this.
  3. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Yes, I definitely appreciate the possibility in that sense. And I don't read fanfic, but from what I understand from some passing references I have read to it around here ("Obidala" etc.), that scenario has definitely been "entertained" more than a few times!

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I am fine with any notions of a love triangle being only in Anakin's mind. I do not see Obi-Wan going there for a few reasons, but mainly because he follows the Jedi Code rather strictly. Padme's character was already watered down post TPM, a love triangle would have done further damage to her character.

but, I am generally not a shipper if it's not canon so...

mes520 likes this.
  5. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    There was subtle hints of it, but I'm glad there was nothing overt left in the films. Obi-Wan cares about Padme, but more like an older sibling would.

They planned to have Obi-Wan entertain some kind of romantic interest with Padme in the Phantom Menace, but they decided it would be too weird. Correct judgment. Meanwhile, the idea is once again brought back in Revenge of the Sith, but this time, it's more of an idea planted in the mind of a paranoid Anakin.

6. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    Yeah, I'm glad they didn't go for an actual love triangle. It wouldn't have made sense with either Obi-Wan or Padme's characters under the circumstances, and there aren't a lot of love triangles out there that don't end up creating forced drama.

But like others have said, I wouldn't have minded Palpatine planting suspicions in Anakin's mind about that - it would have been another way to showcase Palpatine's manipulations and Anakin's growing paranoia and fear of loss. Plus, any distrust he had of Obi-Wan could have helped justify why he was so adamantly against going to him for advice.