main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Missed or wasted opportunities in the show?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR, Aug 21, 2013.

1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I would have liked to have seen a Star Trek/naval style of slower, more strategic combat from the viewpoint of a capital ship to contrast with the high energy dogfighting. At least ONCE anyway. Instead the capital ships just seem to slug it out and it's all just a matter of number of guns and ships, with no real strategy apparent of any kind.

I would have liked to have seen something that demonstrated some kind of thought and strategical thinking. More like

Instead of:

"Fire on that ship! Don't stop firing! Keep firing until it's destroyed!" - Yularen (or what I imagine his orders would be).

Also, I would have liked to see more of what was going on in other locations aboard a capital ship during combat - such as in the above clip - more than merely just what's occurring on the bridge. Or such as in ROTS, when we see the turbolaser operators.

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Barriss, sure. Ahsoka...nah. ;)

Mzukiller likes this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    We don't need any extra hypothetical threads for TCW, so merging the "Battles you wanted to see" thread into this one. :)

By all means, though, continue discussing the specific topic of battles. I for one echo Jack's sentiment that they should have done Jabiim or some equivalent. S5 would have been a great place to have such a battle, since they were building up the conflict between Anakin and the Jedi Council.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. Obimus Primobi

Obimus Primobi Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2013
    My name's not Jack.:D

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh whoops. Jack also talked about Jabiim, but I didn't notice he was responding to your post. I blame the booze. [face_blush]

Obimus Primobi likes this.
  6. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    There should have been "helmet cam footage" from clones in the middle of intense battles and firefights.

Look up the footage from Afgahanistan. You don't nescesarily get a big overview of the battle, many times you barely see the enemy if at all, but what you do get is a grunt's eye view - down, dirty, intense, and LOUD. Lots of yelling and guns firing and the cracks of enemy fire passing overhead. Background radio chatter blaring away constantly from other parts of the battlefield. In some cases perhaps footage from the interior of a tank or other fighting vehicle in combat.

It's a total different perspective from the normal presentation of war and has a much more intense sensation of realism.

A few examples below. There's lots and lots of vids like this on youtube.

Warning: As with any videos of troops in combat there may be strong / offensive language audible in these videos.

Looks like I've hit the embed limit. Links from here on in.

From inside a humvee while engaging with a minigun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyAaIKF6tSQ

Sniper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5usKZxfs7ao

Firefights with tracers involved. Almost makes it look like SW at times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHVW4CN6LgI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzlvF--6bPI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47K4XBkaxMs
    Intensity like that would have been great to slot into a TCW episode a time or two.

Or possibly... something better might have been not to put that in the episodes themselves, but to run a viral youtube campaign to complement TCW, with "raw" releases of "helmet cam footage from Umbara" or "with the men of the 501st in action, geonosis industrial zone" or such like.

Contessa likes this.
  7. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013

I feel like they tried to do this a few times - like the opening to TCW movie...and especially in the Umbaran arc

8. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Ahsoka's leaving arc should've been Sidious framing her, not Barriss... Ahsoka gets sent to prison or escapes or something. Whatever, she's gone.

Then we see Anakin furious etc and then we could've had an Anakin/Palpatine scene where we see Palpatine 'groom' Anakin, which would be a nice lead-in to Ep III.

+ more space battles!!!!

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That would have worked, with the actual bomber being a non-Jedi.

Mzukiller likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Barlow: Maul now serves a Dathomir Witch named Mother Talzin and together they’ve raised a ragtag army of hired soldiers and criminals, causing all kinds of trouble for Sidious’ plans for galactic conquest.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I probably have already said this in this thread but the biggest missed opportunity was Anakin vs Maul

12. Rauno

Rauno Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2013
    I really wanted that as well.

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Tapatalk 2

Revanfan1 and darklordoftech like this.
  13. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    "And that's for trying to run me down with that speeder bike when I was a kid, you son of a *****!"

You're right, it could have been awesome.

14. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I would say Grievous vs Maul. Or well...any Jedi besides Obi Wan basically even seeming to acknowledge that Maul existed. Anakin, Ahsoka, Windu, and Yoda never said a word about the guy. I found that insane.

15. Why_So_Serious

Why_So_Serious Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 27, 2013
    I really wanted to see Dooku vs. Maul. Come on, Darth Tyrannus, you need to show that outdated wannabe who the true Sith is 'round these parts.

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Showing Sly Moore speaking and showing what Pestage and the Peculiar Hat Crew were doing in this era.

17. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    In light of the Clone Wars comic announcement, the battle with Darth Sidious was a wasted opportunity because it should have ended with Maul dying.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    ...except the new conclusion arc could still be really good and validate the decision to keep Maul alive a little longer. We don't know yet.

19. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    The only reason Maul didn't kell Kenobi on Manalore was because he was under contract that Kenobi had to participate in ROTS, ANH, ESB, and ROTJ.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That the show wasn't a Dark Times series.

21. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    No, the biggest opportunity missed was the fact that this series got too big for itself, and when GL sold his stuff to Disney, he didn't even put any clause in the contract to end the clone wars and not leave it have arsed incomplete. It showed, to me that GL just wanted to get rid of the thing and make his money. Do his philanthropy and get married, but for the fans whom were loyal like employees of a corporation, they got somewhat shafted. This gets into another topic, but if GL was so upset that the fans were not happy with his stuff that he had to sell it, why in the world is he participating in any conferences for Episode 7.

What I am getting at is for a show that had heavy involvement from him, one would have thought that he wanted closure for it. Instead we have like Gertrude said in Hamlet to Apolonious, more meat and less art. This show is riddled with too much art. Want an example, just take a look at season 5's, 2 arc 4 episodes each on jedi children and droids. 8 Episodes that had no meaning, that could have been used to get closer to the finish line. Or season 4 two parter after the Shadow Conspiracy Gungan episode (another waste if you ask me). That's 11 episodes there that could have been used to get closer to the end. Like my mom says, too much of one thing is a bad thing. This show should have been over in 5.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think Lucas just decided he was done. He may have decided after ROTS and some of the feedback from TCW that people just didn't get his art anymore (or never did), and he was better off just taking the four billion, settling back into married life and new fatherhood (he and Melody had a child via a surrogate) and making his art for himself.

23. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Missed opportunites?

A Bond-esque four-part arc starring galaxy renowned femme fatale Sy Snootles. I'm picturing a sort of campy Prison Break parody mixed in with tremendous amounts of unintentionally uncomfortable alien sex appeal. Mama the Hutt muffin-topping in poorly fitting mando armor would've dramatically been revealed as the mastermind behind her imprisonment, bitter from the loss of her son. Cat fight ensues.

I know I'm in the minority, but Hunt for Ziro is one of my favorite episodes, and I would've loved an equally campy continuation of that tremendously stupid and chuckle-worthy "romance". :-B

Antlers and Bail B. Baobab like this.
  24. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    That would have been cool to see. And the whole Noghri world devastation would have been another thing that they could have delved in, also.

25. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm not sure if this would be considered a wasted opportunity, but something I would've loved to see had the show not been cancelled is a follow-up arc to the Yoda arc, focusing on trying to find Sidious' true identity and whereabouts. Since Yoda saw The Works in his vision, I'd really like to have seen a raid on there to capture or kill Sidious (not like the one in the vision though where they only send a couple troopers and two Jedi).