main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Missed or wasted opportunities in the show?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR, Aug 21, 2013.

1. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Savage. They created him to compensate for Maul's death, and then Maul returned.

2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    While I would have liked to see Savage face Dooku once more, this time with his brother at his side, letting them crush the Count, he had a good storyline.

It would have been nice to see Savage kill some more Jedi and fight Dooku again, he was a good tragic character. He was drawn into darkness because he refused to let his brother die, and in the end, he died fighting loyally alongside his other brother.

Savage Opress was a noble and good Nightbrother before he was drawn into darkness by Ventress, and at the end, he rediscovered his noble heart; albeit too late to redeem himself or his brother.

Savage had a good character arc and portrayed a character with savage power and ruthless nature and an undying loyalty to his brother. (When in control of his faculties, being hypnotized to choke Feral does not count, he was under Ventress's spell.)

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I personally think him saying, "I'm not like you, brother; I never was," was his redemption. He was saying he wasn't evil, wasn't dark like Maul was. He was forced into his darkness, and in the end when it wept from his body in green mist, he returned to his noble self and realized how truly far he had fallen.

4. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't really see a "I've fallen so far" sentiment there. He says he's an unworthy apprentice while his body shrinks and he dies. I think he was saying "I'm not strong like you", not "I'm not evil like you".

5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Great idea, that could have been amazing.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Besides Savage's Force choke, Savage and Ventress couldn't even touch Dooku. I don't think Maul and Savage would/should fair much better, especially with Dooku's plot shield and status as Sith apprentice in place in ROTS.

7. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Dooku would love to take Maul out, he's both a threat to his Sith apprentice status and the murderer of his padawan.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not sure Dooku gave a **** about Qui-Gon at that point. As far as considering Maul a threat...I think that Dooku knew that Sidious considered Maul a joke. Dooku was far more threatened by Anakin.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  9. DeviantSpirit

DeviantSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012

I always thought Dooku respected Qui-Gon, even after he turned Sith. I feel like Qui-Gon's more rouge sensibilities were quite similar to Dooku's own disillusionment with the Prequel-era Jedi Order, except both men went drastically different ways in seeking the true nature of the Fore and restoring peace. In AOTC when he says "I wish he was still alive. I could use his help right now.", I think he's actually being honest on some level.

Slowpokeking and Circular Logic like this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree, I just can't wrap my brain around the idea of Dooku being hell-bent on avenging Qui-Gon's death. He seemed more concerned with protecting his own Sith Lord status by the time of the Clone Wars.

11. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    I've read that not many people like him, but I always thought Ziro the Hutt was killed far to fast in TCW. It just seemed like because he was apart of The Clone Wars movie that began the series, that he should have made it to the end too. Anyway, I really liked the voice/design that Ziro was provided with, and whenever he stood opposite another character--whoever that might have been--it was always very interesting, in my opinion.

With all do respect to the series, and its' creaters though, Sy Snootles unexpecting incorporation into the story--and Ziro's death--plus the added bonus of getting to watch Cad Bane do battle with Obi-Wan and Quinlan Vos was more than anyone could have asked for entertainment-wise. So, if it had to happen then it was done very well, but yeah...Ziro was definitely someone they could have taken further into the series.

12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He could avenge Qui Gon and make sure he's the only Sith apprentice by killing Maul, why not? Maul is nothing but a threat and rival to him.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Dude, if that floats your star destroyer, by all means write a fan fic about it.

14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I do think Maul was wasted only as "Obi Wan's enemy", it would be interesting to see Anakin and Dooku's reaction over him. If they just want a villain who's powerful, cunning and a rival of Obi Wan, why not use Durge? He also got a lot more to do with Mandalore.

15. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I understand you like Durge, and think it would be interesting to have substituted Maul for Durge in the Shadow Conspiracy arc. But while Durge does have that connection to Mandalore, it's because the last time he screwed with the Mandalorians he was thoroughly defeated, brutally wounded, and buried alive for more than a hundred years. Yes, he wanted revenge on them, and yes that would surely make an interesting battle sequence or three, but it would only have ended up with Durge massacred again in the end if he went directly at Mandalore.

Maul had the presence of mind to be cunning, to go in through the back door, a silent benefactor of Death Watch never allowing the populous at large to know he even existed. Durge...is not subtle. Durge is an insane juggernaut. Durge would not be able to do what Maul did; it's just not in his character to do so. He wouldn't work with Death Watch to begin with, he wouldn't care to conquer the New Mandalorians. He just kills things. And he doesn't even have that same rivalry with Obi-Wan. To him, Obi-Wan's just another Jedi. One who's fought him before, beat him once or twice, but he's still just another potential kill to Durge. To Maul, though, Obi-Wan is the kill.

Circular Logic likes this.
  16. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    You know, hypothetically speaking, if Durge had decided to attack the New Mandalorians in Sundari, I wonder what would have happened. I can understand if he chose to attack the clans, but would he really be brutally massacred by a bunch of pacifists? If Shades of Reason is anything to go by, then I wouldn't be surprised if Durge actually got with way with the New Mandalorians. I mean, look how impotent Sundari's security forces looked before the Shadow Collective. And rather than urge her people to rise up and fight, Duchess Satine refused to defend herself and her own people against the invaders. Something tells me that had Durge decided to storm Sundari, things wouldn't have been very pretty...

OTOH, I wonder if witnessing a monster hellbent on the utter annihilation of the Mandalorians would have lit a fire under the New Mandalorian people, perhaps bringing to the forefront those repressed warrior instincts centuries of pacifism had suppressed. Seeing the previously pacifistic populace take up arms against a threat not just to their lifestyle, but to their existence, would certainly be a thing to see, then:

"EAT MY PACIFISM!"

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Eat my pacifism!" should have happened anyway, but my thinking is that Satine and the New Mandos would have looked more ridiculous than ever.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  18. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Hmmm, missed opportunities.... To be fair, it has been a while since I saw all the seasons
    More clone episodes, Rex/Cody/Gree
    Greivous actually being cool
    CIS Victories
    I am going to watch them all again, but for now, that's it.

19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I understand you like Mandalore, but it's not how things will go.

1. Durge has the CIS behind him, Dooku would surely seize the opportunity to take over Mandalore by using Durge as a tool. The Mandalorians are quite bad on politics, that's why they got easily tricked by Sidious in EU and the majority of their population got enslaved by the Empire.

2. Durge is insane but not brainless. He is a quite cunning bounty hunter that's why he got even higher Jedi kill than GG in the Clone Wars. He is very good at setting traps for the Jedi to fall into it. Not to say with Dooku behind him he would not have to worry about the big picture. He would likes to take out Obi Wan, why not? Maul's special hate didn't make the plot interesting at all other than kill Satine before Obi Wan but left Obi Wan alone.

3. Durge was able to kill the Mandalore but the Mandalorians still couldn't find a way to kill him, and he was able to escape after torture. He is more likely the winner, murdered their leaders and got away after being tortured.

Seriously, what's Durge couldn't do? Take out Satine, that's quite easy for him. Challenge Vizsla in a duel and beat the crap of out of Vizsla and take their title? All too easy, seriously, the Mandalore was taken by Maul not because he's cunning, but both Vizsla and Satine aren't smart.

Again, Durge didn't get massacred by Mandalorians, he killed their leader, and they couldn't find a way to kill him but could only torture him, and he was able to get away and didn't get caught again. Clearly Durge is more likely the winner here.

20. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh, I'm sure it would have been an absolute blood bath of an entirely one-sided massacre. There's no way the New Mandalorians could even hope to achieve victory against Durge. The point I was making, though, is what course of events logically leads Durge down a path that even resembles the one walked by Maul? Slowpokeking makes it sound as though a one-for-one exchange of characters would be not only possible, but preferable, removing Maul for Durge in the anti-Kenobi vendetta and the takedown of the New Mandalorians. I happen to like Durge, but I just don't see it working out that way.

He could go after Obi-Wan, but to someone like Durge, it wouldn't have the emotional connection: Durge just doesn't see Obi-Wan in that way, as his archnemesis the way Maul does, but rather as one more Jedi for the body count. And he could just as likely attempt an assault on Mandalore, but it wouldn't have been remotely the same. Durge's hatred for the Mandalorians is foremost focused on the warrior clans who wronged him, though the fact that the New Mandalorians still carry the Mandalorian name at all, they would likely be marked for death by association. However, he would've gone for Keldabe over Sundari as his primary target due to the clan presence, and because he lacks all of Maul's subtlety, he likely would've dove in head first as he'd done against the Jedi. He'd be back in a box before ever making it to the desert.

Understand that this has nothing to do with fandom preference, it's merely an examination of canonical evidence and reasonable inference based upon said information. I happen to enjoy Durge as well.

If we're discussing CIS connections, I believe Dooku would be much more interested in acquiring the more numerous and collectively more potent forces of the Mandalorians to willingly fight for him than a single, albeit powerful, warrior. Death Watch and the Mandalorian Protectors—the former shown to easily overwhelm Black Sun and the Hutts, the latter noted to be able to bring down CIS targets in a day that their droid armies couldn't in a month per Galaxy at War—are a significantly more valuable asset to the war effort, and Dooku has the tactical acumen to know this. The only reason Sidious turned on them was the war was nearly over and they needed to be removed along with the rest of the CIS' more notable threats.

Would you care to elaborate on Durge's cunning? Because, as I recall, throughout the Durge's collective appearances in canon, the closest to true cunning he's ever showed was luring Obi-Wan and Anakin to the abandoned cruiser in Obsession. Which is, y'know, pretty basic "It's a trap" stuff.

He killed one man, then was captured, grievously wounded, and tortured as the Mandalorians tried to figure out just how to kill a Gen'dai. And when they realized that it was apparently close enough to impossible to be an impractical waste of time—a not unreasonable conclusion, given that Durge apparently even survived being shot into a star and made a return per Galaxies—they buried him alive, likely under the belief that he would be trapped forever, from which it took Durge more than a century to recover at the cost of his sanity. Doesn't seem like the kind of thing Durge would be wise to rush back into.

Circular Logic likes this.
  21. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Well you didn't tell the whole story, especially the most important part.

That's not what Sidious wanted, he didn't view them as really valuable assets, he simply tricked their leaders, killed most of them and enslaved the population. Why would Dooku take them more seriously? Dooku's goal was not to let the CIS win the war, but use the war to bring the Empire up.

He killed their leader, the most well guarded and the strongest man among the Mandalorians. He still was able to get away in the end despite the Mandalorians tried their best to torture and imprison him, I don't see why should he have any problem.

Why not? The Mandalorians couldn't kill him, they tried their best to torture him and he still got away after killed their leader. The current Mandalorians are even weaker and dumber. Satine is a pacifist, Vizsla is a dumb man who lost his life and his men to Maul when he had absolute advantage. All Durge had to do is challenge for a duel, beat the crap out of Vizsla then he's the leader.

22. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    To craft the situation into which the Empire could emerge as the new and beloved form of government, Dooku's task was to create a monster of an opposition that would require the iron fist of the Empire to protect the people from it. In doing so, it was necessary to engineer a war in which it is reasonable to assume that the CIS could win, even if it was never intended to truly do so. To that end, using proven warriors with fierce abilities and renowned prowess to fight your war for you is the logical thing to do, hence why Dooku extended his aid to the Death Watch early in the war, and welcomed the Protectors with open arms later in the war.

As far as Sidious was concerned, they absolutely were assets under the CIS banner, but as the war was ultimately a chess game between his right hand and his left, he was required to maintain a delicate balance that would eventually transform into a natural victory for the Republic. The Mandalorians played the role of devastating enemy, and Sidious was pleased, but as things began to wind down and loose ends needed to be wrapped up in order to begin his end game, Sidious orchestrated the downfall of the Protectors. Just as he did Grievous' death, as well as the execution of the Separatist Council. The Empire's subsequent slaving/mining operations on Mandalore were a direct result of Sidious seeing the Mandalorians as a potentially dangerous foe, and their beskar ore reserves as a too valuable a resource to ignore.

Mand'alor is but one person. The loss of Mand'alor is no more crippling to the Mandalorians than the loss of a President could be to the United States, and in fact, is outright stated to be less so. You can always get another, and the people will persist on regardless.

You're falsely equating not dying with victory. Durge lost. He unequivocally lost. And he suffered for his defeat with torture, pain, imprisonment, and insanity. When he finally pulled himself back together over a hundred years later, he escaped. Fled. That isn't a win. That's barely surviving, and that's by no skill of his own, it's just the nature of his incredibly resilient species.

Yes, Satine and her people are pacifists, and they'd be slaughtered if Durge were set upon them. And yes, Death Watch still holds to the Crusader codes that foolishly prompted them to follow Maul. But Durge wouldn't make a challenge for leadership: he would attack, he would kill, and he would move onto the next Watchman until he was brought down again and the whole capture/torture/imprison routine would surely begin again. And the same were he to go after the other warrior clans. He does not want to rule. That's not Durge. Durge just likes to kill.

23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, the purpose was to let the CIS lose and greatly weaken the alien races, a deadly war, which would result near destruction of both sides is stupid, if the Republic could not maintain enough forces in the end, they might even lose control their current territories and had troubles with control neutral factions. Dooku isn't that stupid.

As for the Mandlorians, the best way is to use this chance to greatly weaken them so the Empire would not have trouble to be bothered with them. Just like he did with the CIS.

Yes, like the CIS, but they already got the CIS to test the Republic, tear down Mandalore and use a few of them to do the task. When the war was near to end, Sidious just threw them away and enslaved them, they aren't useful, not necessary either.

He finished his task, to kill the Mandalore, the Mandaloirans could not stop him, and after the torture they could not to do anything to kill him, they could not avenge their leader, they tried to imprison him but still let him got away and had a chance to recover and come back.
    They
    Failed to protect their leader.
    Failed to avenge their leader
    Failed to imprison the killer.
    Failed to catch him back.
    Of course it's a victory to Durge.

Why not? Became their leader could futher humiliate them and slowly terminate them with any ways he wants to do, Durge is a monster with patience.

24. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
  25. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    An explanation of why no Jedi were cloned would have been nice. Was there a reason, or is it impossible?