main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Missed or wasted opportunities in the show?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I don't think you can readily assume this. As of now, we know nothing of what became of Maul after Sidious defeated him on Mandalore. For all we know, Maul might now be a subject of one of Sidious' twisted dark side experiments, a la Darth Venamis... Although I could easily see Sidious trying to take advantage of the situation by leaving Prime Minister Almec a message (apparently from Maul) to rule Mandalore in his stead. So now Almec is a puppet ruler for Sidious instead of Maul, allowing Palpatine to keep a closer eye on the happenings of the Mandalorian-controlled neutral systems that I'm sure figure to be part of his plans further down the line, especially following the conclusion of the Clone Wars.

You bring up good points, but given the four-part nature of the arc, there simply wasn't enough time for them to cover all their bases, so they had to hand Maul's faction the Idiot Ball for that episode. I mean, Obi-Wan and Bo-Katan's loyalists were able to infiltrate the prison complex easily enough anyway, so I'm thinking many of those supercommandoes might be relatively green recruits taken from New Mandalorian volunteers (of course, most would still be Death Watch). But you don't give Sidious enough credit. I'm sure he would have prepared for any possible contingency if he was so willing to personally go to Mandalore alone. I'll bet he had things under control on his way to the palace. Anyone he happens through that tries to get in his way would have been dealt with swiftly and mercilessly. I personally think the Shadow Conspiracy/Mauldalore arc could really have been improved with an additional episode (or two) to cover the takeover of Sundari, and the fallout from Maul's defeat of Pre Vizsla. The arc was a bit rushed.

2. GreatBeyonder

GreatBeyonder Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2013

Normally, yes, but they were in the middle of a civil war at the time.

3. BobaFan101

BobaFan101 Jedi Padawan

Dec 3, 2013
    Not trying to be rude here, but do you have any proof of this? Where did you hear that Maul would still rule Mandalore? I doubt Sidious would let him. When he said "I have other plans for you". I didn't think he meant i Just came here to kill your Brother then let you continue ruling the planet

4. GreatBeyonder

GreatBeyonder Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2013

No, and I just rewatched the episode, and it is rather more ambiguous than I recall, what with Sidious electocuting him with glee.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I don't think the plans that Palpatine had for Maul were likely to be anything Maul would be too happy about. :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    - Plo Koon's electric judgement

- A'sharad Hett's story

Odolwa likes this.
  7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    They missed an opportunity to have this guy...

[​IMG]

8. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    In regards to Maul, I could see him using Maul to train some of the Inquisitors (Palpatine's got an Empire to run, I don't think he has the time to personally train all of these individuals personally).

At one point I would have said that he maybe intended to keep Maul alive so as to learn how he cheated death, but with how unremarkable Maul's survival was treated and with Palpatine telling Anakin that "only one" had achieved the power and it was Plagueis, not Maul. So I really don't think he was used for any special purpose like that.

Or, I could frankly see Palpatine throwing Maul in a cell somewhere and letting him rot until he has use of him. For instance, Yoda said that there's ALWAYS two Sith, and for all of the PT that was true, except for the gap between Dooku's death and Anakin pledging himself to Palpatine. Maul could have been rotting away somewhere as Palpatine's backup plan in the event that things with Anakin didn't work out after Dooku was killed.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    They could have just adapted the preexisting EU works and that probably would have been cooler.

Contessa likes this.
  10. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    A Jedi Council scene without an empty seat.

11. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Mandalore was a MASSIVE wasted opportunity. Taking the most awesome planet and culture in the galaxy and diminishing them to a bunch of pacifist hippies (and ruining the entire Republic Commando series in the process) was just utterly appalling!

12. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    You have Lucas and his childish whims . . . Oops! I mean his, "vision," to blame for that.

13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Quotes or it didn't happen

14. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    ^ TCW season 2 featurette about Mandalore repeatedly mentions the desire to put Lucas' take on the Mandalorian people as closely as possible. Combined with the fact that every storyline in TCW since around season 2 comes directly from GL.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    It makes me wonder if the whole Mandalore storylines in TCW were created specifically in response to Karen Traviss' shaping of the Mandalorians into this invincible warrior uber culture whose warriors were the most deadly in the galaxy, more so than Jedi or Sith etc. etc. Did GL get so mad over that that he put this whole pacifist Mandalore portrayal into TCW with the express purpose of stomping all over the Traviss creation? Whether it be a ruling Mando duchess wringing her hands and renouncing violence, or a dozen Mando'ade being hacked to death by a skinny teen female Jedi padawan in short order - the Traviss imagining of Mandalore was turned utterly on its head.

It makes me wonder if the TCW Mando stuff was a spite production by GL, that might not have happened if KT hadn't done with Mandalore and the Mandalorians what she did.

kubricklynch likes this.
  16. Kualan

Dec 4, 2008

I'm not even sure if Lucas knows who Traviss is, let alone what she might have written. He's always been pretty disconnected from the EU, with a few exceptions (Shadows of the Empire, for example).

cwustudent likes this.
  17. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Eh, I dunno. It seems really petty to me. Trampling on someone else's work and making a race appear wimpier than in previous incarnations simply because you don't like what the author did? Despite her work being very well received?

Wait, that actually sounds EXACTLY like Lucas. Never mind.

18. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    While I thoroughly agree with the idea that overlooking the warrior clans in favor of the pacifistic New Mandalorians was a pretty major missed opportunity, Republic Commando wasn't ruined by the decision. The whole Mandalore storyline from The Clone Wars is actually a remarkably small-scale story, featuring only the New Mandalorian faction and taking place primarily in and around the single city of Sundari, and only in Shades of Reason does it actually branch events out to other New Mandalorian cities, all of which are still located in the isolated desert regions of Mandalore. The Republic Commando plotline involving Mandalore takes place in an entirely different area of Mandalore, far from the desert, with warrior clan characters unrelated to the New Mandalorians. For the most part, it also takes place chronologically later, after the whole Death Watch takeover's already happened.

19. Kualan

Dec 4, 2008
    Given that the Mandalorian storyline in TCW seems to have always been destined to end in roughly the way it did - not with the addition of Maul, but almost certainly with the system falling into civil war - it actually leads fairly smoothly into what I understand was the existing canon situation. That the Mandalorians had devolved into a disparate collections of in-fighting clans and movements, just waiting to be united by a strong hand.

20. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    - No exploration of Dooku being an ex-Jedi

- No true Grevious background

- The captured Separatist Council members being set free

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I feel like they should have allowed the audience to know that Palpatine is Sidious. That would allow for further exploration of the mechanation behind the war and of the Sith.

PraenomenCognomen likes this.
  22. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Wait, what?

The audience already knows this. Telling them is redundant.

Zer0 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  23. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

I wouldn't be too sure; I don't think he meant tell the audience... just allow them to know, in terms of plotlines. If you notice, they never reveal that stuff; it's usually either Palpatine or Sidious in an episode, never showing both sides of any of his schemes at once. Heroes on Both Sides comes close, but I agree that it might have been nice to see an episode that doesn't pretend we don't know.

darklordoftech likes this.
  24. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    [​IMG]
    "Prepare my ship."

In Shadow Conspiracy, doesn't Palpatine say before this, "There is a disturbance in the Force." Yeah, I thought it was bloody obvious that Palpatine and Sidious were one and the same in The Lawless.

Contessa and darklordoftech like this.
  25. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    What about The Lawless? Palps tells Mas Amedda to get his shuttle ready with an evil sort of a voice, and then next thing he turns up at Mandalore (as Sidious) and it's game on with Maul and Savage. And I think you get a reasonable look at his face at some points during the duel. No real effort was being made to hide anything there.

Edit; Doh! Ninja'd by Circular Logic :headdesk: