main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Missing Posts

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Elfsheen, Jan 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elfsheen

Elfsheen Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I have something really stupid. This morning when I logged on I had about 3200 posts, but now I seem to only have 2989... not that I care how many posts I have, but I do like to know what happened...

I already changed my password, but I don't think that is it. I can't delete posts...

2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    They were pruned by the server. One number shows the posts you've made, the other shows how many still actually exist.

3. Elfsheen

Feb 9, 2003
    I have no idea what pruned it

And if it deleted my recent posts... older posts I understand...recent posts not.

And there's only on number with posts count showing in my profile...

4. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Right, your profile is the source of one set of numbers.

For another, you have to do something like watch yourself under "see who's watching you" as a watched user to see any differences between the different sets, for example.

5. Elfsheen

Feb 9, 2003
    okidoki. But I still don't know what "pruned" is 8-} but I take it it's another word for clean-up?

6. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    "Pruned" = deleted, removed, erased or otherwise eradicated from the system for whatever reason, generally as part of the automatic deletion feature of the site.

7. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Automatic deletion has been turned off, IIRC. Basically, the number in your profile is the number of posts you've made all up, whislt the number in the "Who is Watching You" page is the amount of posts you have that still exist, i.e. in threads that haven't been deleted by a mod. :)

8. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Pruning still occurs on a forum-by-forum basis. It's not a global on/off switch (and sometimes IGN will swap settings - I found the TPM forum was set for pruning, after I had turned it off).

9. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Yeah, I think the majority of the forums have it off, but I don't know about all of them. And things have been known to flip back and disappear, despite having the function off.

A few weeks back, I had a fairly large EUC thread get eaten by the system. All its posts gone, and the auto-prune function never changed from being disabled.

10. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    That's a known bug. The server occasionally eats old threads for no apparent reason. Threads with a lot of replies seem to be at higher risk. That's one of a number of reasons why I think it's good to restart threads periodically rather than letting them accumulate too many thousands of replies.

11. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Basically, the number in your profile is the number of posts you've made all up, whislt the number in the "Who is Watching You" page is the amount of posts you have that still exist, i.e. in threads that haven't been deleted by a mod.

Not true - on both accounts, actually. "Who is Watching You" shows me with 5795 posts. "View Latest Posts" shows that I actually have 4511 existing posts. And the number in your profile is not the number of posts you've made, if you made posts on UBB that were not transferred to Snowboard. This would be any posts in threads that were not replied to in the two weeks prior to the move, if I remember correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.