main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Mission Report From Albin....

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by BH-7113, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BH-7113

BH-7113 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    Just a quick shout-out to the Badlands Garrison (I didn't see a report filed, so I figured it would be worth putting one in just in case) about the fantastic job they did at the CCEE this past weekend. Angela Mash, Dave Wilder, and Scott Campbell led a committed and talented group of troopers in hosting a very strong convention that has grown exponentially in the last few years and now garnered interest from SW actors and other media professionals.

Badlands Garrison members ran security and line control throughout the convention center, operated the coolest fan booth at the con, offered photo ops to scores of children many of whom were in costume themselves, and set the tone for costuming at the event - what surprised me most of all was the presence of other sci-fi and hero genres there, something you don't usually see at a mid-sized con where the 501st is as active as BG was this weekend. It speaks to the community they've built in that region and at that event.

Also prominent among achievements were two inductions :

* James Kyson Lee as an Honorary Friend of the Legion - Lee plays Ando on the t.v. series Heroes and since last year thanks to the BG has been very supportive of the 501st. Lee was presented with his membership on his way out of the convention and he expressed his thanks for being included.

* Amy Provonost as an Honorary Member of the Legion - Amy is a prolific artist for LFL - the BG burst into her children's drawing panel to present her with the award, which elicited overwhelmed excitement from Amy (and giggles from the children present).

I was of course the grateful guest of the BG this weekend. I was very glad to see the Alberta region thriving in Star Wars fandom - there were SO many members and friends of members present, active, trooping, volunteering, drinking (oops)... it really warmed my heart to see the Legion forming tight bonds among a local group. Also present were many Fan Force members and I was impressed by how well the BG worked hand-in-hand with them to make the event a success.

I've posted my pics of the event here, if anyone is interested:

http://www.albinjohnson.com/501stLegion/calgary/calgary.html

In spite of an unexpected snow storm, the event was a tremendous success for the group and for the convention - record-setting attendance. And when I hosted the Star Wars costuming panel on Sunday afternoon the place was standing-room only with 80% of the crowd non-501st-members, speaking to the interest present in that area. Very good panel, had lots of good feedback.

And as an added bonus, I got my first taste of drinking Canadian beer in a Canadian bar with a bunch of Canadians watching their hockey team in the finals. And that's what it's all aboot, eh?

Great job, Badlands. Thank you for a wonderful time!

2. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I meant to post earlier...sorry...

It was really nice to meet Albin - he's a great guy! And yes, the Badlands Garrison really put in a tremoundous effort this weekend - thanks so much for all of your help! That includes the BG helpers/spouses/children and/or significant others who contributed their time and effort helping out as well.
    Kudos to you all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.