main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MISSION TO ORDONE - An EU, pre-EP1 story - Chapter I

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by ValedaKor, Feb 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Thanks, Emma, what the heck, I'm moving it up too.

Just found out yesterday the puppy is going to be "published" as an e-book! Gosh, can't believe it, I'm very excited.

"See" you on Monday. Two more chapters then.

2. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    On the home stretch now.
    Anyway, here are two more chapters.

CHAPTER XX
    'Qui-Gon and the Songlifters'

Qui-Gon had decided that he might as well conduct some research while on Ordoné, hiding away in the capital's libraries, within reach if Valeda should need him. Two days had gone by, and there had been no frantic calls from the Palace. He suspected Valeda was avoiding him. That was alright. He wanted events to settle back to their normal routine, so that anything out of the ordinary would be noticed immediately. Tarak was keeping him apprised of everything that was going on.

To his surprise he was actually enjoying his study of ancient Ordoné rituals, gaining a greater understanding of how this peculiar culture of Vampyr rulers and Candricans had coexisted for thousands of years. There were parallels to the rise and survival of the Jedi here, and he planned to place the information he had learned into a Holocron for the Temple archives.

//Master Yoda would definitely be amused if he could see me surrounded by all this. I haven't done so much pure study since I was his Padawan.//

He was busily engaged in studying a stack of yellowing flimsies when one of the library clerks came around the corner of the computer stack and stood, hesitating, until Qui-Gon looked up and addressed him. "Yes, Bondo?"

"Uh, you have visitors, Master Jinn."

Qui-Gon's brow furrowed. "Visitors? Who are they?"

The clerk looked away, confusion on his features. "We don't know, Master Qui-Gon. They look like Jedi, though."

"Really? Interesting." He sent a probe out, encountered two sentient beings in the anteroom. //Not Jedi.// He rose from the chair. "I'll come, then."

Bondo indicated the closest turbolift. "They're waiting just below. I'll, uh, stay here."

Intrigued at the man's apparent fear Qui-Gon reached out a hand and touched him gently on the shoulder, which sent a calming Force wave through the clerk. Bondo visibly relaxed.

Entering the lift Qui-Gon called for the correct floor and the cab began to rise slowly. He arranged himself squarely in the center of the compartment and rested his hands on his utility belt. //To be ready for any contingency and to keep constantly on the alert.// A reminder of the Code. The turbolift made a slight ping as it reached the floor and the door slid open.

Even with his senses on full force his eyes widened. The two beings arranged shoulder-to-shoulder in front of him wore deep hooded cloaks of dark grey, the hoods pulled up to completely conceal their faces. The only clues to their sex were the slim, red-tipped fingers that lay palm down along the front of their robes.

As one they took two steps back, giving Qui-Gon enough room to move out of the turbolift, but not far enough that he could move around them. He declined the invitation, preferring to stay where he was. No one had yet made a sound.

Suddenly, the taller of the two raised a hand to pull her hood back and Qui-Gon found himself staring into the violet eyes of a human female. The line of diamonds that crossed from one temple to another highlighted her strikingly attractive face. Her companion also pulled back her hood, revealing a brunette.

The tall one spoke. "We bring greetings from the Temple, Master. I am Cito. This is Banuus. Have you a moment to speak?"

He remembered a snippet of information from the research he'd been doing, the thoughts of a long-dead Candrican warlord on Ordoné. //Confusion to our enemies.// They did not want to be identified, then.

Qui-Gon nodded. "Of course. Let's leave this building. The streets are safer for conversation."

"As you wish."

They stepped into the turbolift and immediately formed a defensive phalanx around him. Qui-Gon reached out with the Force and encountered the weaponry that each one carried. There were blasters on each hip hidden under the long cloaks, long bladed Enticer Knives concealed in holsters on their upper arms and garrotes in needle thin pockets on their formfitting jumpsuits. And a fo

3. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    Those chapters seemed very familiar...
    :)

4. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    I'm an idiot - the Princess is correct. I had already posted those two. What a dope. Here are the newest two chapters!

See what old age does to ya...what can I say.

CHAPTER XXII
    'The Banquet'

"I've had about all of this I'm gonna take!"

Grimacing, Neller Podda arched first his aching left foot, then his right. He was bored and thoroughly disgusted, sick of watching over this door and that door, seeing the Queen move about, but always at a distance. The bodyguards surrounding her were handpicked veterans of Dragog's Security Force. There had been no opportunity to get even a little bit close. And now his feet were killing him.

The Hutt had done his work well, providing the mercenary with forged documents, a new identity and a resumé that included service to the Queen on one of her numerous estates. Podda had kept the name of Atlan Hist for old time's sake. He'd been in the Palace now for days, standing guard on deserted hallways that led to the kitchens. Worst yet, tonight he'd gotten the short stick and pulled the midwatch, which left him without anyone to talk to. Podda could only shuffle about, watching the displays on the ovens change from second to second and listening to the soft hiss of a baking machine's cycle. Even the cleaning droids were gone, having swept by just a few minutes after he'd begun his "walk to the end of the corridor and return" duty.

//I'll die of boredom here!//

Podda had made ten of these silent treks and just passed the entrance to the kitchen when a soft breeze caressed his left cheek. He realized with a thump of his heart he was no longer alone. The blaster was just coming out of its holster when he felt the blade of a knife press against the back of his neck. Stomach falling to his knees, Podda stopped dead.

"Very good, my friend. No, don't turn around. We'll just talk." The voice was a whispered raspy sound.

Podda nodded his head, breath coming in short gasps.

The knife withdrew. "We had meant to contact you before, but there was a delay. Have you had a chance to observe the Queen? Found a way past her security perhaps?"

The mercenary shifted position, but a tweak from the knife kept his head turned forward. "Well, I, uh haven't been here all that long, haven't had a real good chance to see much," Podda croaked. Another tweak brought his attention around. "No," he admitted. "There isn't a moment when she isn't guarded."

His visitor laughed, a short bark. "Very good, Podda. With a little prodding you tell the truth. You are in the eminent position of being an excellent messenger and observer. Rather than trust our information to a machine, we'll use you as our courier now. You blend in so well with the walls around here, you know."

Podda sighed nosily. "I suppose I should think of that as a compliment."

"Oh, it is, indeed." A folded paper floated down beside Podda's left foot. "That little note is to be delivered to Prince Bakur. You will go to the gardens later this morning, and he'll contact you. There is no reply. We can depend on you, then?"

Prince Bakur! Podda's eyes flew open, but he was careful not to give voice to his surprise. "Of course."

"Pass this test, and we'll see. Have patience. All will be well in the end, and your reward will be great, greater than you can imagine. We'll contact you soon." Podda heard the scrape of a boot heel and felt a hint of breeze again. He waited a good minute then bent to pick up the note.

//So Prince Bakur is involved in this little conspiracy. How convenient.// He'd seen the Prince and the Queen when she'd addressed the clans and on several occasions since then, acting especially friendly. If M'lss suspected the Prince of anything she'd done a very good job of concealing it.

He thought back to his mysterious visitor. The voice could have been, mostly likely was a male. Could it have been Prince Bakur, testing him? He turned the piece of paper over. It was double-sealed. Because he wasn't 100% sure he wasn't being watched he tucked it i

5. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    CHAPTER XXIV
    'A Fine Romance'

Ralfa was waiting for the Queen as she returned from an impromptu inspection of the Palace guards. The Head of Security had requested a special visit from M'lss and 'she' had obliged. It had been a break from the boring Council meetings and taping sessions she'd been conducting lately. And Dragog's men were as easy to look at as their Chief, a tall red-haired Candrican. Valeda had enjoyed it.

"Majesty, Prince Bakur has been cooling his heels here all afternoon," Ralfa said grimly. "He says he will not leave until you see him."

"Good grief, it's almost dinner time! Alright, Lady, just get me out of this outfit and I'll see him. Put him in the Purple Room." Valeda raised her arms as her ladies in waiting approached. "And you might as well tell him it'll still be a while," she said wearily. She had learned how long it took them to get her out of the elaborate costuming.

Valeda stared through the gauzy curtains of her second smallest visitor room, making sure she was far enough back that the Prince couldn't see her. The room lived up to its name, being decorated in various shades of purple. Lavender pillows covered the floor and a pale lilac fabric poured down the walls.

She watched as the Prince paced up and down, muttering to himself. She'd persuaded Ralfa to dress her in a simple outer gown, and then sent all the women away.

//No spies, no hangers-on. Just me and the Prince.//

She looked down at her hands, realizing she was tapping her fingers. //Nervous! I'm like a teenager on her first date!//

Valeda waited until Bakur was at the farthest end of the room and then parted the curtains and went in. "Prince Bakur! I'm sorry about last night, but the dinner was exhausting--"

In a few seconds Bakur closed the distance between them and took Valeda in his arms, pressing his lips against hers. She was a split second away from pushing him back with the Force when she came back to herself and resorted to digging her "claws" into his shoulders. This only seemed to excite him further, as he left her mouth and, pulling her head back, began trailing kisses down her throat.

The effect was electrifying. Her head swam with the sensation, her body reacting to every caress. Valeda had never allowed herself to be touched in this way, and she felt the goose bumps rise up as his hot breath trailed over her neck and he began working his way down towards the sharp "v" cut of her neckline.

//No...no...cannot allow this.// She managed to push herself away at last.

"Bakur! How dare you! You must stop!"

Before she could demand further explanation he had lifted her off the ground and she was laying on the plushy softness of the pillows, the Prince leaning over her.

"M'lss, my darling," he whispered in her ear as one hand cradled her head and the other began tracing the line of the material over her breasts. "Last night, when you refused to see me, it was more than I could bear. Don't turn me away again, M'lss. Let me love you, as I've always wanted." His hand traveled down and began pushing her dress up her thigh. "M'lss, he said huskily. "Don't tell me to stop."

Valeda felt a wave of pleasure wash over her as she turned her head to find his lips again. And looked into his eyes, to see the desire mirrored there.

//But not for me.//

She pushed him off and rolled over, pulling a couple of the pillows to her chest as a shield. "Not tonight, Bakur. It's...I'm not ready."

The Prince growled in his throat. Pushing his blond hair off his forehead, he rose up to one knee and regarded her with a sinister expression. "How can this be? You've thrown yourself at me ever since you returned from the Convent!"

"I suppose that's what it looked like...." She lifted herself off the floor and stood over him. "I was staring my mortality in the face, Bakur. Me, a Padador. I reached out for a person I remembered." She thrust her hand towards him. "Now that I'm back...you must give me some time."

He looked at her fingers, and

6. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    CHAPTER XXVIII
    ?The Songlifter Comes to Qui-Gon?

Qui-Gon wasted no time getting back to where he had first met the Songlifter team. The only one greeting him there was Cito, whose agitation was apparent from far away.

"I know you've been here for a while, Commander. I?m sorry I couldn?t get here sooner." She looked at him and then away, pursing her lips. Sighing, Qui-Gon said, "You may have heard the news. Prince Bakur has been arrested, and his fellow conspirators, Baron Neftel and Seno Tew the Hutt are dead. That is why I'm late. What is your news?"

Cito?s eyes widened. "Forgive me, then. Trose is alright?" She received a nod, and continued. "We may have found a link to the Queen?s accident with someone we?ve been chasing for a while."

Now it was Qui-Gon?s turn to be surprised. "And we had hopes that everything was over." He indicated the same plasteen chairs they had used before. "Tell me."

Cito told him about the message they had received from Predetan Central Command. "We?ve talked to the security officials at Aspendel, who really couldn?t tell us much beyond ?we?re very sorry this happened but it?s not our fault?," she said dryly. "Banuus is at this moment checking on some additional information at Ordoné Security. She may join us before we leave here." She tossed her head, swinging the red ponytail from side to side. "This business with the Hutt being involved. Could this be somehow connected to Neller Podda?"

"It?s a possibility. We know how the Hutts are all law-abiding citizens," Qui-Gon said.

Cito smiled, showing her brilliant white teeth. "A sense of humor. You astonish me, Master Jedi." Her smile faded. "We?re checking on any known sightings of Neller Podda. He?s very good at disguising himself."

Qui-Gon compressed his lips. "Has he ever been known to use poison?"

She was silent for a moment, chewing on her bottom lip. "Explosives are more to his liking, but I believe Neller Podda capable of anything."

Qui-Gon nodded slowly. "I didn?t tell Valeda, but I was going to bring the Queen back early so she could participate in the Hunt. I think I will wait. But I?ll go to M?lss and tell her what?s happened."

"We could transport you, if you?d like."

He shook his head. "Not this time. But if you are willing you can return the Queen to the Palace, keeping her safe aboard your ship." He stared at her. "Will you do that for me?"

She smiled her radiant smile again. "Of course. If Neller Podda has been brought here to kill the Queen, we will be in a perfect position to apprehend him."

He raised an eyebrow. "And remove his Songdral?"

Cito met his gaze evenly. "If necessary. We have that mandate." She leaned forward in the chair, brushing his legs with her own. He sensed a heightened level of emotion and saw her eyes darken. "We don?t take it lightly, Jedi. But one of the cases Neller Podda is under indictment for is the death of two Songlifters, including my brother. I have no compunction about taking his life in return. However," she continued, making a placating gesture, "I won?t do so unless there?s no alternative." She laid a hand on his arm. "You have my word on that."

He covered her hand with his own, marveling at the warmth. A gentle probe revealed her core temperature to be much higher than most of the humans he?d encountered. //Valeda could use some of that.// "Thank you. Your assistance is very much appreciated."

She kept her hand on his arm, smiling shyly at him. "Can I interest you in coming aboard my ship for a meal?"

Qui-Gon thought about that for a moment, remembering he?d had nothing to eat since early that morning. "That would also be very much appreciated."

She stood up and extended her hand downward. "Come along, then."

He took her hand and raised to his feet. For the first time Qui-Gon noticed she was dressed like the local population in a floorlength dress of alternating blue, red and green stripes. "You have begun to blend in here, I see."

Cito looked down at her dress and nodded.

7. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    Wow! I think the time spent in the village was good for M'lss!
    So, they've stopped Bakur & co., but Podda is still on the loose. I hope Qui-Gon and the Songlifters can keep Valeda from being hurt.
    Great posts, Valeda!! :)

8. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    Just upping this to make it easier for ya' to find, Valeda!
    I can't wait to find out what happens next! :)

9. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    CHAPTER XXX
    'Valeda's Decision'

Lespe Coy was having the time of her life, making herself comfortable in her secret spot in the Palace gardens. She had slipped away from her relatives and was now happily ensconced in this hidden alcove, spending much of her time thinking about her selection as the next 'victim' for Queen M'lss. But Lespe did not feel like a victim. She was a Tambor, and she knew it was a Tambor's duty to give up his or her life so that Padadors like M'lss could thrive. Her Father had explained that it had been this way since the two species had appeared on the planet thousands of years before, and she was proud to be part of the tradition. And if what everyone was saying was true, the Queen was becoming more of a Candrican everyday. Soon there might not be a need for Tambors to give up their lives. Lespe thought that would be very strange.

The Queen's Minister had said that the gardens were hers to roam in as she willed and the girl had taken full advantage of the freedom, creeping along almost imperceptible paths, careful to conceal her tracks and making sure that no trace remained of her passing. The Hunt Coordinator had told her that she was expected to do her best, and her best was getting better every day. He had also said that no Tambor had ever escaped from Queen M'lss. Lespe figured there was a first time for everything.

Lost in thought she suddenly became aware of the sounds of someone approaching. Lespe smiled. If her Father was out looking for her he would have a time of it. She rolled herself tighter into a ball and sat very still.

"This is a safe enough place for us to talk, Egdew. Can you hear me well enough over this channel?" A metallic 'yes' answered the man back, and he continued. "I was very happy to hear that the Hutt's guards played their part to the hilt. I hope they didn't rough you up too badly."

"Not at all, my Lord."

The connection was breaking up, but Lespe's heightened sense of hearing enabled her to make out the words well enough.

"Podda will be the last piece in our puzzle. With the late and unlamented Hutt's contacts already in place it will be no problem to insert our assassin as a member of the Queen's guard for the Ceremony and see her finished off at last."

Lespe's eyes grew very round. She stifled a gasp and forced herself to lie as quietly as she could.

"If I've got any last minute changes I'll get in touch with you right away. Otherwise, I personally will ensure that Podda is in the guardroom at the right time. I want no slip-ups. And that will give me even more time to remind him over and over how to access the secret exit from the chamber. Podda can't very well ask M'lss, now can he?" The man said, cackling.

She still could not see his face. Lespe shuddered and drew back as he stepped closer to her hiding place. Her heart was thudding furiously and she fought to keep from letting any sound escape her lips. She could hear the person on the other end of the connection say something, but the voice began breaking up again.

"We're losing our connection. I'll contact you again soon."

Lespe heard him close the vidscreen and start moving down the path towards the Palace.

The Feast Ceremony. The Queen. She must tell someone quickly. She thought for a moment about the man, and the secret she knew, and realized she could not allow herself to be caught.

"I'm a Tambor. This is my Hunt. I'll do my best."

She bent over and began forcing her way back through the jungle of vegetation.

Heading for the Palace, trying to keep good time and make as little noise as possible Lespe concentrated on the tiny path that snaked through the foliage. Occasionally she would stop and sniff the air, just to ensure that she was alone. It was also a good time to slow down her racing heart. Sharp thorns tore at her clothing and scratched her skin but her pace varied little. Her skills were excellent.

"The Queen will be pleased, so pleased."

Lespe was soon in sight of one of the guard towers that surrounde

10. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    I have an overwhelming desire to pick up my keyboard and whack Qui-Gon over the head with it!

Well, at least Valeda won't have to face the Hunt. I feel so sorry for her, though, having everyone (including a certain blockhead Jedi) think she killed Lespa.

I *cannot* wait to see how you work all this out, Valeda. :)

11. Emma3Jane

Emma3Jane Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2000
    Hi Valeda Kor!

Congratulations on the ebook publishing! That must be very exciting!

I have been reading each chapter with keen interest, but have little time to post since I am moving and setting up my new lab (and apartment).

I just had make time after the chapters today: Great job with the story! I was surprised (and dismayed) by Lespe Coy's murder. And under such suspicious circumstances, since Lespe shed the scales and had the ritual markings. But Valeda doesn't have those memories.....hmmn. I have my suspicions.

And Qui-Gon! He really can't trust anyone else. Or see past his own hurt and shame....which makes him rigid and judgemental. But I like flawed characters since we each have flaws. And I think that both Qui-Gon and Valeda will grow through this experience. But I am worried for Valeda since she feels forsaken, and adrift in the Queen's persona.

Oh yes--I really like Queen M'less! Even if she is a Vampyr... And the Songlifters!

Gotta run, will be reading tomorrow, latte in hand.

Emma3Jane

I can't wait to read tomorrows post.

12. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    CHAPTER XXXII
    'The Queen Returns'

"M?lss, it?s time."

Dalynn Brad?s voice awakened the Queen from her reverie. "So soon? It feels like I just got here!"

M'lss was seated on a large tree trunk at the edge of the river watching the water tumble and twist downstream. Earlier in the day Dalynn had received a communication from Qui-Gon that the Songlifters were on their way. M'lss had elected to spend the time before they arrived alone, savoring her last few hours of freedom. It had gone past in a blur.

Not that the Queen had lost track of time, but during her stay in the village it had lost much of its value. The urgent press of business at court and the need to make instantaneous decisions had ceased to have any meaning. M?lss knew this enforced ?vacation,? as unwanted as it had been in the beginning, would be sorely missed. As the villagers and the Jedi Dalynn would be missed. And the children. She would miss the children most of all.

She had heard a spacecraft circling overhead and settling down in the clearing beyond the village. A few minutes had gone by, and then Dalynn had emerged from between the trees.

M'lss blew the air out of her cheeks. "I've just been sitting here thinking about what you told me about what happened with the Tambor. The Jedi has saved me much effort. I haven't decided if that's a good thing or a bad thing."

Dalynn's brow furrowed. "I do not know this particular Jedi, Majesty, but I believe that one is innocent before proven guilty."

In his message to Dalynn about the Songlifters Qui-Gon had spoken about the Tambor's death. Dalynn had told M'lss that she did not for a moment think that Valeda had done this thing.

"Yes, you're right of course. Something else I'll have to deal with when I return."

The Queen pushed herself upright and dusted off her clothing, a long black skirt and black blouse covered with Clan Mentsago designs that the elders had presented to her. She imagined that her 'lower class' attire would scandalize some of the courtiers in her court but she'd soon set them right. Never again would she allow disparaging remarks to be made about the people she'd met in this village.

"I?m ready, Dalynn."

Dalynn let her go ahead as they approached the clearing. At the foot of the spacecraft's ramp a tall human female with dark red hair waited. And arranged around the ship in a circle were all the villagers, from Elder Fredon down to little Gena. M'lss had to look away quickly when she saw that Gena's eyes were red from crying.

Elder Fredon approached the Queen, bowing deeply. "It has been our great honor to have you among us for this short period, Majesty. And you also honor us by wearing our Clan symbols."

The Queen took his hand and shook it gravely. "I'll never forget your hospitality, Elder. Rest assured that my perceptions have certainly changed since my stay here. I will put that knowledge to good use."

M'lss suddenly beckoned towards the circle. "Come here, Vese! If it wasn't for you, I would never had experienced the benefits of pond duty!"

The young man stepped confidently forward, pleased to be the center of attention.

"Since you had the courage to greet me when I came here, Vese Fredon, let me reward you with a position at my court when you're of age. And not in the kitchens, either," she added, smiling broadly. "I'll have my Grand Councilor make all the arrangements, Fredon." She hugged the boy and pushed him back towards his father, whose smile matched her own.

M'lss turned toward Dalynn Brad and held out her hands. "Thank you, Master Dalynn. I cannot say it enough. Thank you."

Dalynn walked forward and embraced the Queen. "It was my pleasure, Majesty." She stepped back and indicated the ramp. "Time to go."

"Yes," M'lss said quietly, adding, "come to see me!"

Dalynn nodded.

The Queen took a deep breath and walked up the ramp without looking back.

The woman standing by the ramp faced Dalynn. "Master Dalynn, I am Commander Cito. Is there anything I need to know before we leav

13. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    Augh! No! You can't make us wait until next week!

Well, actually you can--writers' perk. ;)

I hope they catch Podda and "Lord Lossom" (I have my suspicions about him.)

*And* I hope that Valeda can be cured and that she and Qui-Gon will work out their differences. I love the new M'lss--amazing that we can still keep learning, even when we're 2000+ years old! :p

Well, I am eager to see how this ends, but sorry to see that it's almost over. 'Til Monday, then! :)

14. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Moving this up, what the heck.

15. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Up, Up! LOL

16. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    CHAPTER XXXIV
    'Finale'

Lord Lossom wasted no time in making his way to the Council Chamber. Stationing Dragog alongside him he settled himself behind the main communications array and keyed open all the channels, booming the message throughout the capital and on loudspeakers inside and outside the Palace.

"People of Ordoné, Queen M'lss is dead! An assassin struck her down inside the Temple! Even now her body is being brought to the Palace and we are searching for Count Chandle, who may also be dead. As senior member of the Clan Council I, Lord Lossom am assuming immediate control of the government. I will be meeting soon with Grand Councilor Tarak, the rest of the Council and the Clan representatives shortly to...."

The main door of the Council room flew open. "You will be meeting with nobody!" M'lss cried.

Behind her Qui-Gon pushed into the room, followed by Tarak and a score of security people. Caught by surprise, Dragog pulled his weapon. Qui-Gon pushed it back into his holster with the Force.

Valeda slipped into the room from behind the Queen's Chair, holding her head down. She maneuvered herself down the wall, waiting for M'lss to stop moving.

The Queen marched to the center of the Chamber and pointed at Lord Lossom, the dark ribbons on her dress swirling around her like a tornado. "So we meet the traitor at last! As you can see, Lord Lossom, I survived the little attack at the Temple! If you have killed my brother you will die a thousand deaths!"

Lord Lossom slowly stood up, shaking his head. "I have been at thwarted at every turn, M'lss. I do believe this was doomed from the start."

"What have you done with my brother!?!"

Qui-Gon had carefully watched the exchange, listening quietly. His suspicions had been confirmed, at last. "He has done nothing with him, Queen M'lss," Qui-Gon said softly. "We are just meeting another of his many personas. In his haste, this 'Lord Lossom' has made a mistake. Do you not recognize his voice?"

"What? Who...?"

Qui-Gon smiled a thin smile. "Were you planning on impersonating the entire court at some point, Count Chandle?"

In answer the nobleman smiled. "Ah, Jedi, you are clever. It's time to end this." Reaching up he pulled the brown hair off his scalp, releasing a full head of pale blonde hair. Then he began to rub his checks vigorously and as they watched in amazement and surprise he compressed his spine, threw off the large outer robe and became Count Chandle.

M'lss staggered back as if she'd been struck, her mouth agape.

"And you've been impersonating Baron Neftel all these months," Qui-Gon continued. "Sitting in on Council sessions, knowing exactly what the Queen and the rest of the court was doing."

Tarak was the first to speak. "Impossible! The whole Council, including Baron Neftel, saw the Count on the vids from Stuarda Three!"

Chandle waved that off. "All planned ahead of time, of course, using Seno Tew's amazing communications system. The 'Baron' was always so sickly, you know. Gone a lot, wasn't he? And then my Lord Lossom would have been so happy to 'find' Count Chandle safe and sound. Pity I never felt the need to explain this all to Bakur. He of all people could have appreciated it, I think. And the Padador blood has helped, too." He looked over at the Queen, raising his head to look down his nose at her. "I'm probably more of a Vampyr than you are at the moment, M'lss."

M'lss' face darkened even further. "Padador blood? What are you talking about?"

"Dr. Vrill can tell you. He thought I was making a contribution to science. What I was doing was contributing to myself, so that when you were dead I could prove how much of a Vampyr I was. I've even had mechanical fangs and claws inserted." He displayed those now, flexing them much as M'lss herself could do.

The Queen spoke again, her voice flat and expressionless. "You have conspired to have me murdered, brother. Was ruling in my place so important?"

"It is when millions of credits in mining taxes are involved, dear s

17. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Chapter XXXVI
    'Recovery'

The Queen was sitting up in bed, staring at a holovid she held in her hands as Dr. Vrill and Qui-Gon entered her apartments. Lady Ralfa was hovering over her, fluffing up the pillows. The Queen impatiently waved her away and turned her attention to her visitors.

"You are feeling better, Majesty?"

"Well enough to get back to work again, Doctor."

"Two more..." He checked up as her eyes flared. "One more day, then, Majesty."

"Very good. And, Doctor, we will stop the blood transfusions now."

"But Majesty, there are several still to come, as you know. Is that wise?"

"Wise enough, old friend. I don't plan on hunting Tambors any longer. But, nor do I plan on losing my identity. I think I need it to stay alive, wouldn't you agree?"

"You may be right, my Queen. It will be as you say." The doctor bowed himself out of the room, which left the two to themselves.

She turned to Qui-Gon. "How is Valeda, Qui-Gon?"

"Still unconscious, Majesty."

The emergency team had been astonished when two women who liked exactly alike had been brought to surgery; even the surgical droids had had a hard time telling the two apart, only the clothing marking them as two separate individuals. Once again, the Queen's remarkable constitution had saved her. Qui-Gon had managed to turn her safely enough and the blaster had missed any vital organs. Another synthskin patch and she would be fine.

Valeda had not been as lucky. The medical staff could find no reason for the coma. Qui-Gon was preparing to return with her to Coruscant, where he hoped the Temple healers would be able to effect some change in Valeda's condition.

"I'm truly sorry to hear it. And your face is an open book, Qui-Gon, where your feelings are concerned."

He smiled at her. "For someone without the Force you are very perceptive, Majesty."

"I may not have the Force, but I am Padador, the next best thing." She reached out and took Qui-Gon by the arm. "Let her know how much you care, Qui-Gon Jinn. It may bring her back to you."

"I'll remember what you said."

M'lss nodded. "That's honest enough. Be a strong Jedi, Qui-Gon. But never forget you're also human."

"Master Yoda would not agree."

M'lss flipped her fangs down. "Let me talk to this Master Yoda. I can be very convincing."

Yoda's face and voice was slightly fuzzy through the monitor. "Read your report, have I, Qui-Gon. Valeda is still unconscious, yes?"

"Yes, Master Yoda. I'm going to bring her back to Coruscant that way. I think it would be beneficial to her that when she wakes up, she's in familiar surroundings." When she wakes up. Not if.

"Acceptable, then." Yoda tapped something in front of him. "Your report. Think some items missing, there are."

Qui-Gon considered this before answering. He had filed a comprehensive report. Mostly. He had told Yoda how Valeda had lost the use of the Force for a time, and gotten it back. He had gone on about her amazing acting, her ability to adapt to any situation, and how ultimately she had saved the Queen's life. But he had left out talk of anything that she had revealed to him about Jumer and her Force energy abilities. That was for her to report, or not to report, as she wished.

//"My// mission report is definitely complete, Master Yoda."

"Hmmm. Talk upon your return, we will, Qui-Gon."

"Which will be as soon as I can make it, Master."

Qui-Gon closed the connection, and then spoke without turning around to the person who had come up behind him.

"I haven't had the time to properly thank you for your part in this, Commander."

"We were a few steps too late, Master Qui-Gon," Cito answered. "That will haunt me for some time. Trose warned us, but...."

Qui-Gon rose up and turned around, confusion on his face. "She warned you? What do you mean?"

Cito also looked confused. "She sensed the danger to the Queen."

He shook his head. "And I did not. An almost fatal error."

The Songlifter fixed him with a stare. "Well, you were rat

18. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Just moving this last part up!

19. princess-sari

Nov 20, 2000
    Yippee!! She's okay!
    Great ending!
    I have to admit I was hoping for a ultra-mushy, romantic ending, but...this way gives you lots more opportunity to keep building Qui and Valeda's relationship. :)

I will really be looking forward to your next story, Valeda. :)

20. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Thanks, Princess! It's been a pleasure writing this for you.

I didn't want it to be too romo, especially since we know what happens to Qui-Gon 8-(
    But this does leave it open for other possibilities.

My next story is a prequel, and at this point I don't plan on have Qui-Gon be a presence in it -- although a "guest appearance" may happen, you never know LOL.

Thanks again for all your comments. Now maybe I'll have time to read your stories!

Helen

21. Emma3Jane

Emma3Jane Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2000
    Hello ValedaKor!

Great story! I loved the plot twists, and the way that your characters were multi-dimensional. I especially liked the broader cultural elements, like the priestesses.

I liked the ending too, that Qui-Gon had missed his lesson until the end. What motivation for Qui-Gon, Yoda's disapointment. You write Jedi characters well, while still making them fallible and 'human'.

I am sad to see the story end though..... :( Now it's just lattes in the morning.

Thanks for posting ! Reading your story allowed some relaxation during my move.

But I eagerly await your next offering. A prequel, you say? Good! When you post next time, I promise to post more since I will be settled in NY.

Emma3Jane

22. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Thanks, Emma3Jane! It was nice to get your comments, too.

The other story won't be going up for a while, but I hope you keep my screen name in mind and look for it. I want to have a finished story before it's posted. I just think it's better that way. Besides I think with the new fan fiction policy the stories have be finished before they can be posted.

So, look for it in a month or so!

And good luck on your move to New York! I lived in Manhattan myself for a while.

Happy reading,

Helen

23. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    *AngelQueen stares at the screen, her eyes filled with happy tears* Wow ValedaKor!! That was great!! One of the best Qui-Gon stories I have read in a long time!!!! You have him down to a tee!! *AngelQueen smiles and wipes away her tears* This was just beautiful!

I cannot wait for the next story!!! You've got a lot of talent! Keep it up!

AngelQueen

24. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Thanks, AngelQueen! Your comments are especially welcome, because I always worry about using an existing character, and I'm glad to know that you think I've captured his "essence" so well. Qui-Gon is a hottie, isn't he?

Thanks again. Glad you like it. I had such fun writing it.

Look for more of Valeda one of these days.

25. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    You're most certainly welcome ValedaKor! I can't wait for another Valeda Kor story! Will there be a sequel to 'Mission to Ordone?' I hope so!

As to Qui-Gon being a hottie... *fades out on AngelQueen as she sits in her room, surrounded by Qui-Gon Jinn Posters, Qui-Gon figures, and everything Qui-Gon*

I think that answers that question! *heehee*

AngelQueen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.