main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Missions of a Maverick - (JA, Qui/Obi Vignettes) - Updated 12/14

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Princess_Arulmozhi, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Authors's note: I've been meaning to do this for a long, long time -ever since the first vignette, in fact. This thread'll be a place I can write Qui/Obi vignettes as and when I can, in addition to listing out the ones already written. For starters, I'll be re-posting the vignettes/short-stories I wrote in the 'Qui-Gon Challenge Thread'.

With [face_love] to Diane, for coming up with great Challenges...and inspiring me, in the process. :). And thanks to everyone who responded in the Challenge thread ( HL, Master_Noi, VaderLVR, LE, May, Layren, Kyn, KD, SarkaVrae, PK, t_s... to name a few) ;)

And now, for the first one...

Written On: 12/27/2004
    Title: "The Most Noble and Ancient Order of...
    Challenge: Qui-Gon, and a broken Nose

Note: Italics - thoughts. // thoughts via bond.

The Most Noble and Ancient Order of...

"You shouldn't have." came the stern voice, as two hands gently - oh, so gently - wiped away the blood dripping from the remains of what had once been a whole nose.

Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn winced - and then wished he hadn't. Jedi Masters were supposed to be able to bear pain. Not that this made it any easier, of course.

"Keep still, please," came the voice again, Qui-Gon almost smiled, as he felt Obi-Wan laboriously clean his broken nose.

"Since I already have, there isn't much point in thinking about what-shouldn't-have-beens, padawan," he offered quietly, trying not to squint down at his nose as he did so.

"I repeat - you shouldn't have. There was absolutely no -" he stopped abruptly, apparently busy with unwrapping bandages.

Qui-Gon's lips twitched; restraint in this circumstance was proving to be rather difficult. "You would have taken care of it yourself ?"

"Yes." Obi-Wan's hands moved uncertainly - he was obviously thinking back to the incident.

"I was only trying to help." Qui-Gon offered, feeling slightly ridiculous. He was the master, and this twenty-year-old kneeling on the bed in front of him, looking so serious that he could merit a seat on the Council - was his apprentice. The equation was wrong...and yet, he couldn't help but feel a twinge of satisfaction. Obi-Wan was worried - he could tell, from the waves of anxiety radiating through their bond. This slender young man was worried. About him.

You mustn't feel quite so happy about that,
    he told himself. Ease his conscience, and reassure him that you're not going to become one with the Force, or something.

He felt the smaller hands touch his nose again, and revelled in the feeling - painful though it was. Perhaps a little later.

"I've managed to stop the blood flow," Obi-Wan spoke slowly, biting his lips as he concentrated on bandaging the master's nose.

"Thank you, padawan. I could not have done it myself," murmured the master, remembering the Force suggestion he had used barely seconds after the impact.

Suddenly the apprentice grinned, and the effect was rather of the sun re-appearing after a lengthy sojourn behind dark clouds. "Your force suggestion didn't mend matters much, Most Stoic Master of the Order." He finished tying the bandage as Qui-Gon tested it, trying to assess it's condition and frown at his apprentice at the same time.

"Eavesdropping on my mind again, are you?" he shook his head slowly, mindful of the injury. "I've raised and trained an impudent little womprat -"

//You let your shields, down, master. Which was rather unnecessary, anyway. Why shield yourself, from me?//

Qui-Gon hesitated. //I did not want to worry you - it's only a broken nose, after all.//

Obi-Wan sighed. //You can't stop me. And I can't help it - especially when a certain female Dragmarian decides to throw herself at you - with the apparent intention of ....smashing your face into a bloody mess.//

Qui-Gon's shoulders shook. //A sign of Dragmarian affection, padawan . And might I add, my irrepressible apprentice, that you were her first choice - an

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Awww, that was so cute. Form Qui-Gon's observation that OBi-Wan's serious expression would merit a seat on the Council to the both of them thinking that at least they got their minds off the pain. Very sweet P_A :D :D

3. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Awwww they both were trying to aleviate the painful sensation! How sweet! [face_love]

Great job! Mush and and more mush!!

4. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    That was so sweet and enjoyable. You know exactly how to make something touching without overdoing it. It was wonderful. :) I look forward to more.

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I loved it the first time I read it. You do such wonderful work. Glad to see that it is surfacing in its own thread.

6. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    I just love your Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan banter and mush. :)

7. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Lovely, sweet mushy mush...ahhhhh

8. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Very cute! Love the banter, and how both were trying to take the other's mind off the nose. :)

9. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Healer_Leona, Kynstar, LuvEwan, dianethx, Master_Noi, PadawanKitara, Jedi_Tigris... thank you. :). [:D] to you all. More mush - I think - follows:

Here's the next...

Written on: 28/12/2004
    Challenge: 'The Broken Nose' Challenge.

A duel to remember...

"Oh, Force."

Obi-Wan stared, as blood spurted from Qui-Gon's nose. The master had dropped his sabre, and was holding his fingers to the damaged tissue, wincing. "Oh, force. How could he - how dare he..." Voices were murmuring, rising in intensity, confused, anxious, outraged.

And then Obi-Wan was running towards his master, heedless of shocked Jedi knights clustering around the salle....

Seventy-two standard hours ago...

"He did what?!"

Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi halted in a half-crouch, in the middle of a complicated sabre excercise, his light-sabre high above the ground, at an extra-ordinary angle from his body. His concentration flickered for a second -

- and opposite him, Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn stepped calmly to his left and swung his sabre in a graceful arc, flicking the apprentice's weapon away. The blue blade rose into the air for a brief moment, and landed onto the training-mat with an oddly satisfying thump.

Master and apprentice stared at the fallen weapon for a second - then, Obi-Wan bent to pick it up.

"I ought to thank the Force, I suppose, that that lapse in concentration didn't occur on a mission," commented the master, as he de-activated his own sabre.

Colour touched the face of the twenty-two year old; he stood up with a sigh. "I apologize, master. That was a serious mistake - one that I shouldn't have committed." He looked up, eyes twinkling. "On the other hand, Masters rarely tell their padawans that they're going to indulge in a duel with a fellow knight in mid-kata...what was I supposed to make of it?"

"That one should never lower one's defences, no matter what the provocation? And I would rather you didn't use the word 'duel', padawan."

"Kindly enlighten me, then, about a word used to describe an activity involving light sabres and combat, based on a long, unresolved conflict between two members of the Order."

Master Jinn sighed. "You have a certain way of expressing yourself, padawan, that is..." A grin surfaced. "You, of all, people, must know that there is no conflict, between myself and Knight Moranis, as such. Call it a healthy sense of competition, if you will."

Obi-Wan arched a delicate eye-brow. "Indeed. Am I to understand that the Council is of the same opinion?"

Qui-Gon threw him a look that was at once appreciative and amused. "Padawan, do you know that you sound remarkably like Master Windu, on occasion?" Ah, that was calculated to irritate...

...and Obi-Wan knew it. His face broke into a smile, as they trudged along the training salle, towards the benches lining the room. "I'm learning to recognize provocation, Master. I repeat - does the Council approve of this....excercise of indulging in a healthy bout of light-sabre knock-ups?"

Qui-Gon sat down on the bench, chuckling. "Much too lengthy, my padawan - you had better call it a duel. I suppose it is very little else," he mused. "My only consolation is that it was forced on me - Knight Moranis told Council Member Poof that he wished to...er...indulge in a test of endurance. Whether he wished to test his own or mine - was left unsaid."

Obi-Wan sat up straight, bristling with indignation. "I do *not* believe this. Knight Moranis knows your reputation as anyone else, in the Order -"

"Aside from the fact that I acquit myself creditably, as far as light sabres go -"

"Modesty is a virtue, master - but sometimes, truth must be acknowledged."

Qui-Gon felt a brief flicker of pride and delight - and cleared his throat. "Done. I acknowledge your loyalty, padawan, but..."

Obi-Wan frowned. "Councilor Poof is...partial to Knight Moranis, isn't he?"

Clever, Obi-Wan. Qui-Gon hesitated, before answering. "N

10. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    LOL! All in a standard's day work! [face_laugh]

Poor Obi! Clueless as to what had juz happened!

Great job :D I remember this one :)

11. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Hey! I'm glad you're reposting these!

The first one was very sweet and funny. I loved how they wanted to distract each other. Just lovely.

And the second one--clever, very clever. I liked Obi's concern for his Master in that one too. They're such a perfect team. [face_love]

12. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I remember that one too- very cute!

13. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    [face_laugh] Poor Obi, so concerned about Qui's nose, only to find out it was planned before and that its a fake nose! And Mace knew but Yoda didn't, lol.

I enjoyed reading this :)

14. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    I can't get enough of the banter between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. [face_laugh] It's always so perfect, and in keeping with the characters. Such a clever little twist, too. Great job!

15. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    *Revives a long-neglected thread, looking scandalized*

How could you let this become ignored, Cliffie?

Marvelous viggies! The first evened out my daily mush intake, and the second tipped the scale in humor's favor. I love how you seem able to write in every genre even for short works; there's the nice, happy mush, the humor, and...

Actually, you know...angst is a few inches shorter than his fellows. Perhaps you were taking a break to write something light-hearted after all those long fics of yours?

Anyway, I would like to personally request an angsty viggie next. [face_batting]

Please don't let this collection go back to its skulking in the shadows! We love viggies!

16. stormqueen874

stormqueen874 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2005
    Hm, how on earth did I miss these? (stumped)

Anyway, love them both to death! As usual, the banter between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon is excellent and makes me grin like a cheshire cat. Absolutely lovely writing, again as usual, and I can't wait to see what else you come up with!

Stormqueen

17. JOINME

JOINME Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2005

I really enjoyed reading that! :D

Love the banter! and I absolutely love your writing style and characterisation. Your descriptions are wonderful as well!

Can't wait for more! Please PM me with updates if you can. [:D]

18. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Thanks so much, you guys. I really let this slide, didn't I? <Sorry, Fluffy, but this isn't angst either :D)

For Musing, who wanted to 'find' this.

A Knight's Tale

Helgorn TerrHorr bent a stern eye at his victims, who lay cringing at his feet. One foot, firmly encased in a huge leather boot came down in a stamp beside their miserable heads, and he let out a roar that rumbled through the valley?thereby throwing the King, his prisoners, and even his faithful guards into throes of panic.

?Please, Lord Helgorn the Terrible,? began the King, whose eyes were wide with terror. ?Do not punish him. He has done naught??

?He hath done enough,? roared Helgorn, shaking with fury, and rolling a blood-shot eye in wrath. ?There ith no thule??

Below Helgorn the Terrible, one of his victims, bound up in frayed cords of wire, looked up and shook his head. ?He can?t even get the words properly,? he frowned at the king. ?I told you he wouldn?t make a good Helgorn. Helgorn is terrible.?

The King took off his crown?which seemed to be a remarkable collection of tree bark and leaves, and looked at the ?victim? in dismay. ?There?s no one else, and we?ve got make do with what we have,? he offered.

The ?victim? scowled. ?At this rate?? He began, and was promptly cut off by his fellow victim, a female who was wriggling desperately. ?What?? he barked at her.

?Vines?cutting my hand,? she whimpered. ?Get them off.?

?Can?t. And Princess Fethla never cries, so be quiet.?

?Princess Fethla? at once indulged in a wail calculated to rouse the undead, upon which Helgorn the Terrible stamped his foot again. ?Don?th shouth,? he ordered. ?Or I will geth Jedi knighth to cuth off your thilly head.?

?You can?t!? proclaimed the princess, rigid with indignation. ?You?ve never seen a?a Jedi, and you wouldn?t know one if you saw him, and?and?? she paused, heaving. ?And get these vines off, you?you kaft!?

The insult roused Helgorn the Terrible to such fury that he promptly abandoned all attempts at bravado, and cringed, looking down at the other victim?he who had admonished his style of speech, first. ?Whath do I do, Frieth?? he looked mournfully. ?Thee wanth the vineth off.?

The golden-haired Frieth abruptly sat up, his small face full of irritation. ?She?s right, you are a kaft,? he shrieked. ?Don?t mind her, and her vines?you?re supposed to yell at us, and then torture us!? he directed a smouldering look at the King. ?And where?s the Jedi knight who?s supposed to save us?? He demanded.

The King blinked. ?What Jedi?? As Frieth appeared ready to forget his status as a petrified victim of Helgorn the Terrible and ready to pounce on royalty, he beat a hasty retreat. ?He went to get mid-day meal,? he mumbled apologetically.

Frieth bent an austere eye on him. ?Jedi knights don?t need food. They?they meditate and they fight,? he spoke with authority. ?They save the galaxy...?

?So when do they get to eat?? queried the baffled King, obviously interested.

Frieth roared out in a voice which sent Helgorn shifting in his boots. ?They don?t need to eat, fried-face!? he paused, and looked at the red-faced ?princess?. ?As for you, Vana, you?d better lie still, and I?ll get you a Jedi.?

Vana stopped wriggling. ?Oooh?who?? she asked succinctly.

?Me. I?m going to have to double up as the Jedi.? He stood up, wriggling out off the wires, and struck a pose. ?Here I come, Jedi Master Fin-took Pobble, to save the fair Princess Fethla, tea-rose of the Heavens,? he enunciated clearly, while the princess, Helgorn, the King, and all the guards stared at him, lost in admiration.

?Oooh,? was all Princess Fethla seemed capable of.

?Where?s your light-stick?? asked the ever-practical King.

?There ith a wiyah up your thleeve,? supplied Helgorn the Terrible.

Jedi Master Fin-Took Pobble screamed in frustration.

A ginger-haired young man, seated on a low mud wall a little apart from the proceedings, shook his head. ?If any Jedi

19. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

I just read all of them

very nice, love the interaction between Master and Padawan

Well done=D=

20. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    You know how much I adore your work. It's always so rich in the characters that I leave with a warm, fuzzy feeling of satisfaction. Adored the kids but it's Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's reactions that I loved. Their teasing each other, the way Qui-Gon tried not to laugh at the kid's antics.

Just wonderful!

21. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Hurray! Merci beaucoup, Princess_A, for reposting A Knight's Tale here!

*makes puppy dog eyes* The other one will get here too, won't it? [-o|

22. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I agree, A Knight's Tale was a delight to read again.

23. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    :) These are outstanding! =D=

24. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    Adorable [face_love] I love the relationship between Master and Padawan in all of the posts!
    But this one was just too cute! And its so very easy to imagine those children and now I wonder how on earth do you manage to stop hearing their voices?!!

25. LuvEwan

Mar 24, 2002
    I love that Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon have to continue concealing their amusement. I'm awed by how you write children, P_A. It's always so genuine, innocent without being overly sweet. Another gift from a wonderful writer to many thankful readers. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.