main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mistakes people often make about the Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Articulate, May 6, 2015.

1. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

I'm leaving it cryptic. ;)

2. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    George Lucas is clearly a visionary who's ideas are steeped in mythology and that's great, but he is not a great writer of dialogue or director of actors...I'm I the only one who clearly sees this?
    His vision for the PT would have worked better in a more qualified directors hands, a co-writer to work on the script with Lucas as a consultant.

The dialogue between Anakin and Padme in AOTC is just embarrassing...come on?

If he had McCallum blowing smoke up his arse, surely he's gonna try the more is better approach...more CGI George, more CGI...your amazing! You can do it! And as far as the designs go...everything is shiny...even the lightsabers look naff!?

Don't get me wrong, there are some pure star wars moments in the PT.
    Revisiting Tatooine in TPM, Qui-Gon is also a bonus. When Anakin climes onto his speeder in AOTC with John Williams' epic music is a memorable one, but they are few and far between.

There's nothing more I would want than to fully appreciate them, but he took on too much without really knowing if he could achieve it and quite clearly he missed the mark. I am not the only person who sees it this way...in fact I'd say I was in the majority!

3. darksideDINO

Apr 18, 2015
    Tut, was funny though...bet you chuckled a lil bit inside ;)

4. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Huh. Very astute. All encompassing in its truth, even if it does skirt elitism. If I were to tweak it: Some people use Star Wars to be a fan of something else.

But maybe I'm getting a little too abstract here when I should be addressing more concrete misconceptions about any one or more scene/aspect of the movies. I dunno.

Cryogenic likes this.
  5. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Also, on the whole George didn't want any help or anyone else to do Star Wars:

1. If that were the case, Disney wouldn't own Star Wars.

2. George asked David Hare to co-direct TPM with him. Hare would do the acting and GL would do the action. GL also asked him to write AOTC and ROTS.

6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    - That Maul is the main villain of TPM. Maul has less screentime than Sidious or Gunray.

- Someone asked me if Yavin, Endor, or Naboo are Earth.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    "After Star Wars was released, it became apparent that my story—however many films it took to tell—was only one of thousands that could be told about the characters who inhabit its galaxy. But these were not stories that I was destined to tell. Instead, they would spring from the imagination of other writers, inspired by the glimpse of a galaxy that Star Wars provided. Today, it is an amazing, if unexpected, legacy of Star Wars that so many gifted writers are contributing new stories to the Saga." Quote by GL in 94.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  8. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    [quote="darksideDINO, post: 52390850, member: 1401418"
    George Lucas is clearly a visionary who's ideas are steeped in mythology and that's great, but he is not a great writer of dialogue or director of actors...I'm I the only one who clearly sees this?
    His vision for the PT would have worked better in a more qualified directors hands, a co-writer to work on the script with Lucas as a consultant.

The dialogue between Anakin and Padme in AOTC is just embarrassing...come on?

If he had McCallum blowing smoke up his arse, surely he's gonna try the more is better approach...more CGI George, more CGI...your amazing! You can do it! And as far as the designs go...everything is shiny...even the lightsabers look naff!?

Don't get me wrong, there are some pure star wars moments in the PT.
    Revisiting Tatooine in TPM, Qui-Gon is also a bonus. When Anakin climes onto his speeder in AOTC with John Williams' epic music is a memorable one, but they are few and far between.

There's nothing more I would want than to fully appreciate them, but he took on too much without really knowing if he could achieve it and quite clearly he missed the mark. I am not the only person who sees it this way...in fact I'd say I was in the majority![/quote]

"he is not a great writer of dialogue or director of actors...I'm I the only one who clearly sees this?"
    No, you´re not the only one who sees it that way. But again, not all see it that way.

"The dialogue between Anakin and Padme in AOTC is just embarrassing...come on?"
    Depends on who are you asking.

"If he had McCallum blowing smoke up his arse, surely he's gonna try the more is better approach...more CGI George, more CGI...your amazing!"
    But McCallum didn´t told Lucas: , "more CGI George, more CGI...your amazing!"´, didn´t he?

"as far as the designs go...everything is shiny...even the lightsabers look naff!?"
    Everything? Let´s see couple of quick examples:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

"I am not the only person who sees it this way...in fact I'd say I was in the majority!"
    You´re not the only person who sees it that way, but again, not all see it that way. As for whether people like you are or aren´t majotrity, I don´t think so. More like very vocal minority.

9. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    There are two reasons:

1) If you repeat a lie often enough it becomes truth.

2) Once a "truth" (no matter how inaccurate) is established in the mind of the general populace, it is almost impossible to un-establish.

Seagoat likes this.
  10. darksideDINO

Apr 18, 2015
    "he is not a great writer of dialogue or director of actors...I'm I the only one who clearly sees this?"
    No, you´re not the only one who sees it that way. But again, not all see it that way.

"The dialogue between Anakin and Padme in AOTC is just embarrassing...come on?"
    Depends on who are you asking.

"If he had McCallum blowing smoke up his arse, surely he's gonna try the more is better approach...more CGI George, more CGI...your amazing!"
    But McCallum didn´t told Lucas: , "more CGI George, more CGI...your amazing!"´, didn´t he?

"as far as the designs go...everything is shiny...even the lightsabers look naff!?"
    Everything? Let´s see couple of quick examples:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

"I am not the only person who sees it this way...in fact I'd say I was in the majority!"
    You´re not the only person who sees it that way, but again, not all see it that way. As for whether people like you are or aren´t majotrity, I don´t think so. More like very vocal minority.[/quote]

The majority believe he should have left the OT alone, bar a few miner tweaks here and there, but he couldn't stop tinkering release after release.

The majority believe the OT, especially ANH has some cluncky dialogue, but it can be forgiven because it was fun, mostly due to the actors. They were so bemused they just rolled with it. The PT dialogue is pathetic and sticks out like a sore thumb. They're just pretty dull...like the actors. Can't blame them with all that blue/green screen, plus a director who can't convey emotion.

The majority believe his over use of CGI in the PT was detrimental to the look and feel of all three films, because they do not portray the world he built in the OT. They look plastic and shiny compared to hand crafted sets and practical effects.

The majority believe the PT is inferior to the OT...that is pretty much fact!

I didn't say all see it that way, and I don't force my point of view on anyone. A majority implies there's a minority, so I'm pretty confident I'm not alone in my way of thinking!

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [sarcasm] Yea, PT had no handcrafted set [sarcasm]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    from the Practical Effects in the Prequels- Sets, Pictures, Models, etc. thread
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...e-prequels-sets-pictures-models-etc.50017310/

12. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Another mistake that people make: coming onto the JCF and saying that the prequels were all CG and terrible acting.

Another mistake that people make: calling peoples opinions about and criticisms of the PT ludicrous and unfounded.

Saga Explorer, Ewok Poet and Gamiel like this.
  13. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

How about a catch-all example: people who come to JC with what they read, what people told them and so on and they refuse to see both sides to the story?

14. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Indeed a mistake many make is simply not listening to differing perceptions and respecting them.

-Jedi Joe- and Darth_Articulate like this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Yup. While I may challenge somebody or ask them why they think this or that, there is a way not to make it ungrateful or too personal.

Saying that a well-planned piece of art sucks is sort of...belittling everybody who took part in making it.

Saying somebody sucks for thinking something is an insult and it has nothing to do with the person's opinion.

That's how I see it, at least.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  16. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    - That Han Solo was never intended to come back after The Empire Strikes Back.
    - That Boba Fett survives the Sarlacc pit.
    - That the Empire was defeated by the Ewoks.
    - That the romance between Anakin and Padme was not supposed to be fundamentally questionable and often awkward in effect.
    - That Anakin was supposed to be a sympathetic character.

17. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    A lot of people fail to understand (to the point where it became a Star Wars meme) is that the stormtroopers in ANH weren't trying to hit the heroes. They were putting up just enough of a show to make them think they barely got away so they would head for the Alliance HQ, leading the Death Star right to it. Leia saw through it, but no one listened to her.

Gamiel likes this.
  18. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    That really depends how you look at it: in-universe or out. I think the tracker shows that much better.

19. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    It's the same either way. Vader isn't going to risk killing the very people he needs to lead him to the Rebel base.

Other parts of the film make it pretty clear that the stormtroopers are very good at what they do, making short work of the crew of the Tantive IV, and Obi-Wan's observation that "only Imperial stormtroopers are that precise" when assessing the damage to the Jawa sandcrawler.

20. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    There is some moments where the troopers are shown to incompetent as well. The "Open the blast doors!" moment comes to mind, as does the lack of conviction of the two troopers guarding the tractor beam control tower. And the moment Han chases a squad of several troops down a hallway all by himself.

I am just saying the films make a case for both: there are some badasses and some dolts.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  21. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    Been watching that movie for the past 30 years, and it's something I've never really considered until just now. An interesting point. Makes sense. Or, maybe Vader decided on the plane only after the Princes was sprung and our heroes had made their way some distance through the Death Star back towards the Falcon.

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I believe it isn't that he wasn't intended to return so much as they were unsure if Ford would be able to reprise his role

23. darksideDINO

Apr 18, 2015
    Yeah, mostly miniatures. How would that benefit an actor and there performance? Most of the full scale sets are only a small part of what you see on screen because the rest of the shot is swamped in green screen, hence CGI.

Surely a full scale practical set is built to be showed off to give the sense of realism and maybe enhanced with digital effects, but the PT sets seem to be there purely to serve the lashings of CGI and get lost along the way.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree with your first four points, but on the fifth: how did Lucas expect people to feel sad, upset or disappointed about Anakin's turn if he was never supposed to be a sympathetic character? Where is the tragedy in the Tragedy of Darth Vader?

(FWIW, I had more sympathy for Anakin in AOTC than many people who have posted here, but I also understand why people who just found him a pain in the ass, had trouble feeling any impact when he turned to the Dark Side.)

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  25. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Does that word make you feel better? Sounds a lot like you suffer from some kind of inferiority complex once you're not part of the "majority". Glad you're not left-handed, right?

You're obviously not very educated about filmmaking ("...green screen, hence CGI."), but I'm quite positive that a fully operational human mind would understand why Hayden and Ewan were hesitant to jump into a real volcano, right?

And look at these poor three actors, working with nothing but bluescreen. The careers of two of them were irreversibly hurt, they failed miserably. Harrison must have had dozons of guardian angels that saved him from the same fate. How could Human Rights Watch allow this to happen?
    [​IMG]