main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mistakes people often make about the Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Articulate, May 6, 2015.

1. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    It was a smart call (cut off the escape route), but Han and Chewie beat the timing.

If anyone blew that, it was their higher-ups for not making sure they knew it was, in fact, not "another drill".

Ok, that one was played for laughs to a great extent, I'll give you that one.

I'd have to watch it again and time it out...since it's a plan that's come up with "off screen" the timing is an issue. Personally I think it at least would have been made at some point after the "Escape is not his plan..." scene.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    No right handed actually, but strangely enough I do play pool left handed.

Is green screen not used for adding such things as CGI backgrounds in post production...isn't blue too?
    The difference with the OT post backgrounds are that they're clearly only used when absolutely necessary the majority of the time using matte paintings and miniatures.

I don't mind CGI, and when it's used well and absolutely essential it can be awesome. Though I would have preferred it if the PT had of used it for the minority of the time.

Build a world practically...enhance it digitally. Not the other way round.

There has just been a General Election so I might be having flashbacks of Sky News...sorry! ;)

3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    "The difference with the OT post backgrounds are that they're clearly only used when absolutely necessary the majority of the time using matte paintings and miniatures.'

pt as well.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think the difference lays in that some feel the OT conveys it better. Which is fine.

darksideDINO likes this.
  5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, green/bluescreen is used for compositing. But please, do continue with the ignorant claims regarding the making of these movies.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  6. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Ahem. Remember, posts, not posters. We're a bit close to personal attacks here (and on previous page). Don't get personal.

Gamiel and Darth_Articulate like this.
  7. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Another common mistake is when people think the PT CGI backgrounds are commonly criticized, when it is actually the CGI creatures.

8. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    And those composites involve CG backgrounds most of the time these days.

darksideDINO likes this.
  9. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Some people assume that "everybody" was disappointed with the PT.

10. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That not liking or agreeing with something 100% equals 'hate' or that such stances are baseless.

11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I remember when the first teaser for TFA came out, and when we see Boyega pop up onscreen, a ton of people we're like "WAIT! How can there be a black stormtrooper!? They all were clones!! That's messed up!"

And I just shook my head...o_O OBVIOUSLY there was some disconnect there for those people, regarding the troops of the PT and the troops of the OT, and how they evolved. I suppose I could forgive the younger generation that came about with the PT, since that's what they were introduced into, and presumably the last thing that they saw...

But still.

12. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Majority.
    Do you have any numbers or statistics that prove that?
    Please show me the majority.

mes520 likes this.
  13. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    that Darth Maul became a cartoon character and survived the fall on Naboo

he died, DIED I tell ya! :p

speaking of which: when watching TCW/Rebels and stuff, am I supposed to suspend disbelief and imagine them as live action people? or did they weirdly go to some sort of CGI dimension for a bit between AOTC and ROTS? and POST ROTS and ANH?

yes my brain really does think like this.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  14. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Throughout the trilogy a number of events and circumstances factor into the psychology of Anakin's downfall. Yet, while these subconscious fears/vulnerabilities drive him towards the Dark Side, to fulfill Sedious' bidding, he is still making conscious choices in the process; confused and drowning in rationalizations, yes, but not sleepwalking. Now, to answer your question, it simply comes down to definitional logic: the difference between sympathy and empathy.

I would contend that no one in their right mind who is not a sociopath would ever truly sympathize with Anakin because to do so specifically means you are in emotional agreement with his actions, whereas empathy simply means we can identify said vulnerabilities on a basic level as each of us might experience in our own lives, in whatever context and to whatever degree. We empathize with Anakin in that we can understand or at least imagine from one human being to another (even one that is fictional) feelings of teenage angst and frustration, sexual desire, maternal longing, awkwardness, resentment, jealousy, shame, arraignment, loyalty to a cause that is in jeopardy etc., as he himself displays over the latter two prequels. But to sympathize with Anakin is to have some feeling of approval for how he behaves and the path he eventually takes; that his actions are in some way justified.

It may sound like I'm splitting hairs here but a common criticism of the prequels -- one that reveals a superficial engagement -- is that Anakin is unrelatable as a character not so much because his traits are inauthentic but because, really, they often prove unflattering. Lucas wasn't just playing dress-up with this cautionary tale, but rather he took it very seriously, at least to an intellectual extent. Anakin isn't some "cool antihero" who's meant to remain dignified while breaking the rules and spiraling further into Darth Vader badassdom. No. He's tragic. Instead of merely playing voyeur to a transformation pockmarked with cheap and safe sentimentalism, to empathize with Anakin means that we the viewers likewise have to take more intellectual responsibility in understanding that his weaknesses, though accumulated and exaggerated for dramatic effect, can nonetheless reflect our own. That is, after all, mythology.

I agree that Anakin is sympathetic up to a point, particularly during The Phantom Menace when he really is just a nice little kid eager to help others and when also feeling glum about leaving his mother behind. I also think that, throughout Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, he has moments of sheer moxie and daring that really are just plain cool along with moments that affirm what is deep down a genuinely good guy trying to do right, even as the world around him spins further out of control.

15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  16. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    While I'm not friends with the entire world's population, I can't really give u hard facts. I would hazard a guess that a large number haven't even seen a star wars film, let alone care about which trilogy they prefer.

The people I do know however, be it friends, family, work colleagues etc. all seem to prefer the OT. I've read many an article, review and had many a conversation over the years with fans of various ages regarding the matter.

In my experience the average person/fan will more or less tell u the same. That said, not all prefer the OT, but the overwhelming feeling I get is that the majority do...unless I'm going mental :confused:

17. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    The only cgi below is the battle outside the windows, the lightsaber effect and the glow of on Palpatines shackles.

[​IMG]

The bridge was a practical full scale set also [​IMG]

More shots on full sets with cgi only as extensions
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DARTH_BELO, ArtSchmo, mes520 and 4 others like this.
  18. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I for one doubt very many at all think the PT is 'all' CGI now anyhow.

One isn't required to give hard numbers in order to form a perception, folks.

The 'prove it!' game is a mistake. Most of this is perception not fact.

People demanding others must abide by what Lucas says. No, we don't. While I think one should respect it, no one has to. It certainly isn't High Law like some act.

AnakinColodin likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Neither "Lucas was trying to do X" or "the majority/most people think X" are valid reasons for anyone to alter their taste in a franchise.

20. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Agree with you completely. I have also started now to read your posts with Sir Peters voice in my head.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  21. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    How kind of you, sir. I consider that an honour. :)

AnakinColodin likes this.
  22. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Am I mistaken to believe that it matters to many fans on whether CGI or practical sets were used for filming?

23. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    To some, yes. However, I think way too many split hairs about it regarding not liking the PT's aesthetics.

darksideDINO and ArtSchmo like this.
  24. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    My memory could be going , but I'm positive I have an ESB fold out poster magazine from 1980 and within it it has features on each character, and for Stormtroopers it says they are clones. I'd have to try and dig it out from my loft.

25. chagrian_scavenger

chagrian_scavenger Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2015
    A lot of people I know pronounce names of certain characters the wrong way, or just simply say the names wrong:

Darth Vader becomes 'Dark Vader'
    General Grievous becomes 'General Grievi-ous'
    Boba Fett becomes 'Bobba Fett'
    Princess Leia becomes 'Princess Layla'

Also, Obi-Wan Kenobi being written as 'Obi-One Kenobi'

mes520 likes this.