main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

mixing sports with SW costuming

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by beezel26, Aug 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    what do you guys think of doing costume mods that reflect your favorite sports team as well.

YOu know Yankee pin stripes on a storm trooper, Boston red sox on an imperial guard.

Baltimore oriole on the shoulder of a tie fighter.

the syracuse orangeman symbol on an awing pilot.

a boba fett costume with a fighting irish symbol on it.

Now I know it doesnt do much use at a con but in a parade it works well.

of course you could always put a number 3 from earnheardt on your costume.

what do you guys think?

2. StevoDirector

StevoDirector Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2004
    I think it would look better if u put a NIKE logo on ur tabbards or over ur swimmin trunks u done the kit fisto clon wars thing

3. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Is this a joke?

4. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    Although mixing genre's is fun to do and very creative, most of your costomers here stick to "CANNON" costumes, meaning something you would find in a Star Wars movie, book, action figure, game character or any of the actual licensed characters. Many of the costumers here find mixing to be the same as blasphemy. I think that if that is how you want to spend your time and efforts (including $$$) you should do what you want to do. The legitimate costumers, however, will more than likely, pick apart every last detail of your work and find it distasteful and inappropriate. While variations on a theme is often appreciated, ie colors, fabric types and simple details, combining the real world sports logos with fantasy world Lucas Universe is usually seriously frowned upon. I did see a New York Giants Stormtrooper one year and thought it was marvelous especially since they had just been to the Super Bowl. The bottom line is who are you making your costume for, yourself and fun or the approval of other costumers? You will get both ends of the spectrum with costumers reguardless of how well a costume is done.

5. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    My husband does a "LionsTrooper" version of his armor. He doesn't do anything permanent to damage the armor, but he uses static clings that can be easily removed. He uses a team flag as a cape.

Here's a photo w/link to more.
    [image=http://www.r2-detroit.com/Gallery/LionsTrooper2004/thumbnails/1050_jpg.jpg]
    LionsTrooper

I think it's a lot of fun, and if you can find a way to combine some of your passions, then go for it. :D

6. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I thought this thread was about the other way around. I once heard about a downhill skier who painted his helmet to look like a X-wing pilot's helmet.

7. DARTH_SILLYNOUS

DARTH_SILLYNOUS Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2005
    Legitimate:confused:??? What is legitimate? A costume is a costume.:rolleyes:

And "pick apart every last detail of your work and find it distasteful and inappropriate", well, some people are VERY anal rententive and have no life therefore propigating this world with anal rententive nerdy jerks!:mad:

8. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    I thought ALL costumers had no life. [face_laugh]

9. Jaren_Valnor

Jaren_Valnor Jedi Master star 2

Sep 19, 2004
    If anyone has ever been to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, OH, there's a place with pictures of each team's official biggest fan. The Oakland Raiders fan has a black-and-silver version of Darth Maul's facial tattoos and a version of his contacts that are black and gray and say "RAIDERS" around the edge. Very cool.

10. Darth_Feral

Darth_Feral Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2005
    I think that this is a moot point. Im sure everyone has been "picked apart" (whether known to them or not) at one point in time. The real answer to this type of mindset is that NO ONE REALLY GIVES A <removed unallowed language substitute> WHAT Y"ALL THINK

11. VillieGee

Oct 30, 2002
    For the record, I think it's dumb. Just my opinion.

12. DARTH_SILLYNOUS

Jun 28, 2005
    HU-RA!=D=

13. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    I hope I haven't caused any ill feelings here. I was merely stating my observations from past experience. I think that you should make your costume reflect your passions as well and if you love sports and Star Wars, go for it. I suppose my wording of legitimate costumers was a misnomer. I meant the hard core replicators would probably not appreciate it as much as those of us who do this solely for the fun of it and love being original and taking a look to the next level. I did not mean to be critical of either camp only to state my observations. Yes there are some extremely anal folks out there and there are some extremely talented and creative folks who actually "get it" when there is a modification and enjoy it. I for one enjoy seeing people making great costumes rather than sitting on their duffs being critical of other people's work. WHO is your favorite team by the way? I love my Bucs because the colors are so Star Warish and Han Solo was definitely a pirate.

14. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    I was watching a preseaon football game a couple of weeks ago between the Patriots and the Bengals. There was a Bengals fan in the stands decked out in full Stortrooper gear with it painted in the Bengals colors. While it definitely wasn't "cannon" it was none the less cool looking and a unique way of showing support for his team.

There is always going to be someone out there to cut you down, regardless of what you do in life, so you might as well do something you enjoy. If that means slapping your favorite teams logo on a costume, then go for it and have some fun!

15. DARTH_SILLYNOUS

Jun 28, 2005
    No offense taken here!

16. Darth_Takeo

Darth_Takeo Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2004
    People do this anyway in my experience. Never really bothers me. I always point out one small detail; there's never been a statue erected to a critic.
    :)

17. Beautiful_Skywalker

Beautiful_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2004
    I had a roommate who painted his face in Maul's pattern albeit in blue and white(BYU's school colors) for a football and basketball game. I've taken one of my replica jerseys and put a temporary name plate on the back that read Jedi KnYght(school's nickname is the Y.), and hooked a lightsaber to my belt to go as a Jedi for a Halloween night volleyball game. I always wear school colors to sporting events, so I decided to combine the two. My roommate made it on TV when he dressed as BYU Darth Maul.

18. Dr_Darth

Dr_Darth Jedi Master

Jun 29, 2005
    Darthlars hit the point i think. Sports expression is about logos. Fictional expression is about characters. If your reason for dressing up is sports motivated, the only criteria for your costume is displaying the teams logo because adornment as a sports fan means displaying logos (hats, jerseys, etc). Being a fan of sw or something like it means being a character in a favorite fictional world. Like the bengal stormtrooper, the costume was a mode of expression for someone's love of the bengals (by displaying their colors and bengal stripes) through (or literaly on) a sw character. If sports fandom was about being a player in the 'world of sports' sports fans would dress in authentic uniforms of favorite players. They, I guess I should say we, don't do that. At least not that I have ever seen.

what does all that mean, if you want to do it, do it. if you want to do it and go to a game, do it it's cool. if you want to do it an go to a sw convention, do it but realize that there is no character like that in the world you are celebrating by costuming.
    personally, i think it's cool. but that's just my 1/4 cent worth of opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.