miyazaki and his films

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by darth_frared, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    My favorite Miyazaki films are Nausicaa in the Valley of the Wind and Laputa: Castle in the Sky. Heck, Nausicaa was the very first anime I ever saw. Okay, it was the atrocious dub, but even that couldn't hide the brilliance of his work.
  2. Suvlaco Jedi Padawan

I love Miyazakis films (or at least the ones I've seen :p) The first I saw was Spirited Away which I loved. I've seen Howl's Moving Castle which I thought looked great but was lacking a little in something... though it was still great! My fav though is Kiki's Delivery Service, it's just such a love-able film!
  3. Funk-E Force Ghost

star 6
    Nausicaa is on TCM in about two minutes, if you're on the east coast.

I'd also like to reiterate that the Nausicaa manga is a thing of beauty. It's one of my top five literary pieces, illustrated or not.
  4. darth_frared Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    favourite miyazaki images? that's a tough one.

probably all the gods in the bath house in spirited away. just sort of seeing it happen without actually believing it. i felt a lot like chihiro herself then. it was a bit scary coz they looked weird and also exciting because it was all so new. also the scary spirited away beginning when they enter this train station.
  5. raisedbywolves Jedi Knight

star 2
    The chase scene across the roofs in Princess Mononoke would have to be one of my favorite bits. Just for the sound editing.

And I remember all the gods coming into the baths in Spirited Away, it was so surreal that I didn't know whether to laugh or shriek!

Ahh, and speaking of that, remember the walking lamppost? I want one of those!
  6. darth_frared Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    yeah, the walking lamppost was fun! funnily enough i really want clothes like ashitaka wears. it just seems like the sort of idea to tie your clothes together and create layers. so simple and yet so elegant.

it's full of those things. and more charming than disney (gah!)

surreal was the word that i had been looking for. it's surreal to see because a) the gods don't looks like gods, and b) it's just funny to think they will take a bath somewhere. but of course completely logical: why would gods not bathe? :D
  7. PICTURETHIS Jedi Padawan

Hello y'all. I really love alot of Miyazaki's works, not only for the themes, but because, he is a storyteller who draws and animates his stories very beautifully and with craftsmanship AND in a genre that I love very much,e.g., sci-fi/action/romance. So, of course, I have big love for Naausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. The only one who I can think of who was similar was Windsor McCay, who was both an animater/comic artist. Well, also Castle of Cogliostro, also. Mostly all of his main characters are females. He's said so himself, that he has an inclination to feature females, that's cool. (Hollywood is ????) However, there's been this recent riff between father and son, Goro Miyazaki who is nearly done with their adaption(I pray that it'll be more faithful than the other phony movie that was aired some time ago) of Ursula K. Leguin's 'Earthsea'. The reason why I am looking forward to it, is simply because, I'm glad more females are featured in Hayao's films, however, I would like to also see an equal treatment for the males, which, Hayao has shown, usually won't be. So, I really don't know what Hayao's issue is with his son, and FYI, Goro was a landscaper which is not to say that he could not have studied the craft of animation/storytelling on his own time, and maybe worried about the reputation of Ghibli studios, maybe being usurped by the son, I don't know, but from the diary that was made public by Goro his father is angry about it. Damn...I'm surprised by that. Well, love Hayao's work, but I also hope for the best for Goro too!
  8. darth_frared Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    well, i certainly appreciate that he features girls so much. it's such a welcome diversion! and the girls aren't just pretty and do nothing! that's great.

but i do think that ashitaka was well-crafted. and i alos liked the wizard (hauro ???) in howl. i liked how vain he is and lost. that's not bad characterization.
  9. raisedbywolves Jedi Knight

star 2
    I agree that it's nice to see female characters with grit and real skills instead of the typical "spirited" but useless disney heroines. When I worked at a video store, I steered parents and grandparents looking for a good present for a girl right to Miyazaki - usually Castle In The Sky because it's so accessible and harmless a storyline. I also had one woman come in and buy a copy of each of his movies because she'd found that her daughters, after initially thinking Spirited Away was just really weird, had become totally addicted to the film. The characters have so much more than just corny "girl power"!

Interesting that Miyazaki Jr. now wants to get into the family business, after initially steering clear of animation. The whole thing sounds a bit like a family farm, with Dad wanting to protect his legacy and the son trying to mix things up a little. I'll be interested to see what Goro's come up with.
  10. darth_frared Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    what i partickly like about spirited away is that chihiro has to work in order to stay at the bath house. it's very streaightforward and she also basically really has to stand up for herself in order to survive. what is different from other fairy tales that i know is that the work is basically not a burden. she even gets to do useful things, like when she cleans the river god. it's not dirty work as such. it seems a somewhat healthy working atmosphere, different from other fairy tales that portray work as a gruesome burden.
  11. raisedbywolves Jedi Knight

star 2
    Wow, I never thought of it that way. But the work does really help her learn and grow as a person, instead of, say, keeping her from partying with the rich kids the way that Cinderella's tasks do. It's so true.

That river god scene is also one of my favorites. I was reminded of it a lot last year when I was doing a volunteer ecology year in a neighborhood in Hamburg that has a network of canals running through it. Bored kids always toss shopping carts and bicycles into the canals. You should have seen the big piles of junk we dredged out of them :rolleyes: Those poor canal gods! :p

It was also such a cool part of the movie, because you go from being grossed out by this sludgy monster to being totally in awe of the river's power.
  12. darth_frared Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    yeah, it's a beautiful thing how she cleans the river, or helps clean it at any rate. it's a wonderful metaphor and has this environmental message but you're not hit over your head with it. you can enjoy the visuals and just let it sink in.

mononoke is more straightforward in its relativism and message, i guess. but i still love it. with spirited away i think he has managed to be less didactic and make room for wonder.

it's true the work keeps her from partying.. i took a class on the japanese school system around the time that i saw the movie and i was wondering if the ethic of having to work to make a living and not portray it as an impossible thing but instead of something very normal (yes, in a surreal world) is related to the japanese kids having so little time to actually be children, since most of what they do is work all day in school, that is.

i don't really like to go into 'message' that much because i usually despise message or an abundance of didactics in any movie, but it's subtly conveyed and i think it makes sense for this world of the bath house... oh, remember, ashitaka has to work, too. or else he helps the women. i love this curiosity of his. how he just goes places and asks people. i think he'ss till a character, not a storytelling tool.
  13. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    Well after reading this thread I decided to go on a Miyazaki spree, in the last two days I've seen: Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle and Porco Russo. Loved each one of them, so far Howl's Moving Castle is my favourite.

I have yet to see My neighbour Totoro, Princess Mononoke and Castle in the Sky.
  14. Funk-E Force Ghost

star 6
    Have you seen Nausicaa or Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro?
  15. darth_frared Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Omega, please also watch Spirited Away, if you can!!! i know you're gonna love it.

it's great this thread has inspired. can't do too much miyazaki promotion, i guess. :)
  16. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    I didn't know that Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro was a Miyazaki film hence not part of the "I have yet to see" list. I've seen both Spirited Away and Nausicaa, I love them both :)
  17. Funk-E Force Ghost

star 6
    The Lupin III flick was his first directorial outing, but you can just see the 'Miyazaki' all over it.
  18. raisedbywolves Jedi Knight

star 2
    Whoa, it's awesome that this thread convinced you to go watch Miyazaki flicks, Darth Omega! What has been your favorite so far?

darth_frared, I meant to reply to your saying that Ashitaka is more than just a plot device. So true! He's a great character. Always liked him too.

(Und hey, hast du gestern das Pauli-Spiel gesehen? 3-1! Ganz Hamburg freut sich auf die Halbfinale [face_dancing] Du hättest sehen müssen, was aufm Kiez abgegangen ist!)
  19. darth_frared Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ha, nee, das spiel hab ich nicht gesehen. ich bin kein großer fußballkucker. weltmeisterschaft werde ich schauen müssen wohl, that's a given, ... ich schätze im stadion ist es witziger und aufregender...

anyway, back to topic. :D

ashitaka will never amount to a plot device, i loved the guy. that reminds me, i should really watch mononoke again. i love how miyazaki doesn't shy away from gory stuff. there are really no bounds to what he allows himself to show.

on a side note, i never understood how ashitaka could so calmly accept the verdict of having to leave his people. :eek: i mean, i would have pleaded, i know that.

it makes me sad how the film has this metaphor for how industrialisation took the magic from us. yes, there is hope but the magic is gone. we can just never have it again. darn.

here's a link to a small gallery Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki Films and also an article with sketches of 'mononoke'.
  20. aPPmaSTer Force Ghost

star 3
    I just saw Howl's Moving Castle for the first time! It's really cool, I must say, but I was pretty disappointed with the ending. It wasn't something super-magical like what I expected...it was barely understandable honestly, but that seems to be the pattern that Miyazaki is trying to show. But a great movie though, everyone should see it. Oh and if you're going to see it in English, you're going to be badly disappointed by the voice acting of young Sophie...it was horrible IMO. Other than that, it was great!
  21. darth_frared Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    i don't think miyazaki was trying to have a pattern with his endings. honestly.

i think it's simply butchered.

check out 'princess mononoke' and 'spirited away' they might be more sort of adhereing to a conventional type of ending. or maybe i'm wrong.

i just liked them better. [face_blush]
  22. darth_frared Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    sad to see miyazaki didn't win his oscar for 'howls' moving castle'. i can recommend the wallace and gromit movie, though, and miyazaki already scored with 'spirited away' :)

[image=http://www.xerez.demon.co.uk/anime/spiritedaway.jpg]
  23. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    I came across Spirited Away on Sky Movies tonight while channel-hopping. Luckily it had just started. Excellent film! I haven't seen his others but I will have to check them out.
  24. Queen_Pixie Jedi Master

star 4
    Cartoon Network is doing a Miyazaki "festival" of sorts. Tonight it's Spirited Away.
  25. Twinky_Stryder Jedi Master

star 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.