main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

miyazaki and his films

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by darth_frared, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    well, if you took to all of these so far, you'll not be disappointed in castle in the sky :)

i actually like how he recurring themes but it still never feels formulaic. and i would have watched castle in the sky again, i guess, because it has that feeling of a really long story and it was always the second time around that i actually relaxed into the film and didn't bother about it having to end at some point.

maybe that doesn't make sense at all[face_blush]

what i particularly liked about castle was the use of silences. that was pretty awe-inspiring on the big screen. (most directors don't have a feel for silence, they just go on and on with making noise and completely forget about the power of silence)

2. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    Yo, fellow brits.

They're currently having a Studio Ghibli season on Film4. Today at 4:55pm it's Laputa: Castle In The Sky.

Kinda annoyed that I've seemed to have missed Princess Mononoke.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's where I saw Princess Mononoke the other day. Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind is on Tuesday at 445 pm. I might watch it since I haven't seen it.

4. Twinky_Stryder

Nov 16, 2003
    Porco Rosso on Wendesday.

I thought Laputa was great. Very different to the other Miyazaki films I've seen.

5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I missed the movies over the weekend and I'm at work when the remaining ones are on this week [face_plain]

Have they all been dubbed BTW? I saw the opening of Castle in the Sky on Sunday and although it looks fantastic it was all subtitled, this may sound lazy but I'd rather listen and watch a movie that read a movie.

If you catch my meaning.

6. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    i know that for princess mononoke they made a special effort and recruited neil gaiman to write the english dialogue. they also asked actors to do the dubbing, just like they do for the new animated movies from the US. didn't help the film much, unfortunately.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Nausicaa is dubbed. Voice credits in the writeup blurb include Patrick Stewart, Uma Thurman, and Alison Lohman (never heard of her).
    Porcos Rosso is also dubbed - Michael Keaton is mentioned in its blurb.

8. General_Veers05

General_Veers05 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2005
    in truth..ive only watched spirited away.

its quite good actually, very imaginitive - the characters are strong, and i like the whole idea of the boiler-man etc.

9. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    My TV listings magazine lied - the version of Nausicaa shown was subtitled - not dubbed. So take anything I said above with the proverbial grain of salt..

10. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    i started with that one, too. i think it's the one that least tries to get a mparticular message home and also has the most adult content. in short, it's a very good animated film and completely deserving of all the accolade.

11. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    Miyazaki films . . . my god, they're so awesome. [face_hypnotized] Believe it or not, I didn't have any problems with any of the dubbings, except James Van Deer (Der?) Deek's performance in Laputa: Castle In The Sky. I guess I was too engrossed in the stories to care, I guess.

I love how he crafts heroines in particular. They're perfectly strong and capable and do more than 'hold their own' with men, they usually outclass them altogether.

And he probably has one of the most vivid imagination I've ever seen. Laputa Castle was . . . positively gorgeous. And the forest god from Mononoke . . .

12. Twinky_Stryder

Nov 16, 2003
    I've seen pretty much all of Miyazaki's films now except for The Castle Of Caligistro, or whatever it's called.

A while back I had a regualr babysitting job whith a family who had Sky+. Because of that I got to see both Nausicaa and My Neibhor Totoro. Really liked both of them.

And got Laputa: Castle In The Sky and The Cat Returns for Christmas.

Next on the list to see is Whisper Of The Heart.

13. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
  14. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    i wasn't aware of this because in the UK the film hasn't even properly started yet.

as previously reported in this thread, miyazaki's son, goro miyazaki, has tackled 'legend of earthsea' a novel by ursula le guin.

find the info here.

15. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    I haven't seen that one yet.

Next film for Hayao Miyazaki will be Ponyo on a Cliff. I think the animation looks similar as to that seen in the wonderful anime My Neighbors the Yamadas by director Isao Takahata.

16. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    annoyingly i cannot tell you the swedish release date. in a lot of countries it's already premiered and the disappeared. in japan it's already been a huge hit.

17. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Even though it did well in Japan it actually got the Japanese Raspberry 'awards' in both worst movie and worst director. Having seen it I find it a bit unfair, I admit the movie isn't outstanding or anything but it was decent it certainly doesn't deserve those awards.

18. anakinandpadmedoomed

anakinandpadmedoomed Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2007
    Cool! I love this thread..I love his movies..spirited away is my favorite..what a talented and imaginative guy.:)

Sorry.. if I'm interruping discussion.

19. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    has it come out in the netherlands already, omega?

it's ok, ...doomed, feel free to elaborate :)

20. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Back in August. :p But there are other ways to see a movie *cough*

21. anakinandpadmedoomed

Jun 27, 2007
    Ponyo on a cliff does look like a different animation style. I will still watch though knowing I won't be disappointed in the least.

22. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    i just read a gedo senki review. it doesn't give me hope.

ponyo looks very rounded and kids-friendly. i like.

23. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    Some more news on Ponyo. :)

24. anakinandpadmedoomed

Jun 27, 2007
    I can't wait, looks very promising.

25. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    oh right, there was this thread

I saw Kiki's Delivery Service earlier this month. Didn't really know anything about it before, not even that she's a witch, so I was a little surprised. It was very... cute. I found that weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.