main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

miyazaki and his films

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by darth_frared, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    I recently showed my new wife 'Howl's Moving Castle' and 'Spirited Away' -- and she fell completely in love with them. There were tears, laughter, wonder, admiration, associations of dreams she herself had experienced -- all of those aspects of Miyazaki's films that I cherish as well. How is he able to tap into the human psyche so effectively? What is it about his imagery and his selection of character and story elements that touches each of us so deeply?

I am in awe of Miyazaki-san's talent and the unfettered breadths of his imagination.

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    My wife bought a complete set of Miyazaki. We watched most of them, but had to seriously re-evaluate our opinion after Pom Paco. (May have the spelling wrong). The idea of Racoons using their reproductive systems as weapons got a little out of hand. This is one I doubt disney will be willing to distribute under their label.
    On the other hand, Castle in the Sky, The Cat Returns, Mononoke, Kiki's, and the other movies we saw were all excellent.

The one I didn't go all gaga for though is Spirited Away. Yeah, a child is coming to term with adult appetites. Gotcha. But it didn't thrill me to pieces as either a story or animation. It was more sort of... Yeah, there too.

But hey, I think T.S. Elliot's "the Wasteland" is the most over-rated non-sensical POS poem ever written--and I have an English degree.

3. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Pom Poko isn't a Miyazaki movie, but a Ghibli one.

Regarding the Tanuki balls, well different culture. :p

4. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Are Pom Poko and Tanuki/Raccoon-Dog Wars the same film? Because I adored Tanuki Wars! I was aware Miyazaki didn't direct it, but that he had some involvement on a production level.

5. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Yeh its the same movie.

6. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    In that case I must take issue with Koohii's dislike of it! I laughed myself silly watching Tanuki Wars, but the more realistically-animated moments also brought a tear to my eye. The film strikes me as an homage to a rapidly disappearing species of animal that once roamed all over Japan, an honored symbol of fertility and abundance (hence the giant testicles, which are also featured on the ubiquitous tanuki statues one sees everywhere on the island), but which is now vanishing as a result of urban expansion. So the filmmakers decided to have fun with the characters and give them cartoony spirits, and Disney-like anthropomorphism, but the realistic moments remind us that the real creatures are still out there, suffering a perhaps unrecoverable loss. I think this is brilliant.

7. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    More news on Ponyo. :)

8. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    There are some concepts and customs that cross cultures well, and there are some that don't. While I applaud the message and ideas behind the movie, my prudishness interferred with my ability to enjoy all of it. Perhaps the fault is mine.

9. General_Veers05

General_Veers05 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2005
    kl...have you seen any of his otehr works? If so please tell me the titles of them [face_peace]

10. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001

11. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Logically!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.