main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST "Mizzlewump" Rumor - Too Many Coincidences?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Lurknomore, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Really? Sounds to me your trying to stir up nothing from a common sense observation. The production has been known to make specifications on ethnicity based on casting calls. So, its not something that isn't one their minds.

Making a passive aggressive comment implying that i'm racist is really below the belt and obnoxious. Think what you want...

Dak Oolron, Trebor Sabreon and TheBBP like this.
  2. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001

I'm being critical, but by no means am I intending to be provocative or combative. Look at your word and phrase choices. That is exactly what is being conveyed. "need", "rational or not", "criticized if a hispanic man..." Those are all yours projected onto intangible "they's".

Again, not arguing, and certainly not accusing you of being R, though, I understand being unaware and doing/saying something presumptive while having no intent of malice. Example: Just yesterday, my fiancee and I were at a bar, ordered food and drinks, spent a significant enough of time there for bartenders and some patrons to feel out our presence as a couple. When it was time to cash out, the bartender had to pause and said "Wait, you're together? Oh, okay. One sec." (He had presumed we didn't know each other and showed up separately and just met. And separate checks). The person next to my girlfriend was like "Oh. I'm sorry. I didn't realize you guys were...ummm if I offended you earlier." Later on that night we had dinner with another couple which just also happened to be interracial (by zero design). When the waitress came to give us the checks, she gestured "Separate checks...you two and you two?" towards my fiancee and the other husband and me with the wife. After clearing up, she still hesitated like her mind was blown.

At no time do I think any of these people are racist, nor you. I do think they're accustomed to situations, people and places as you, I and anyone else is. Of course I know you mean not to offend, though conscious enough to decide to add a pre-emptive disclaimer just in case with "Personally? It doesn't bother me either way."

My main point is this: Instead of perpetuating existing preconceptions because that's what most are accustomed, familiar and comfortable with and to do otherwise would bring criticism and protests of not making sense with how their brains have already made sense of things which are inconvenient, welcome the believable, though initially disorienting.

Dra--- likes this.
  3. leia-jade

leia-jade Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 20, 2014
    What about Lupita being the Calrissian kid? It is interesting that both she and Maisie (another black actress) were apparently up for the same role.

4. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    @leia-jade
    are you sure that Maisie wasn't up for the Crystal Clarke role?
    and Lupita's role is rumored to be a villain, not a hero.

Lurknomore likes this.
  5. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Thats the biggest bunch of insincere backpedaling I've ever read.

I guess you completely missed the whole outrage over Jared Leto's character in "Dallas Buyer's Club"? Where, because he wasn't trangendered, people felt he shouldn't have been casted.

Or the criticisms that got leveled at Noah or Exodus for having a bunch of caucasians playing semitic people.

We live in a very sensitive, social media time. When I say I don't care; I mean I don't care. But that has nothing to do with the current climate that the studios have to cast in.

You then trying to say "well I didn't mean to imply your racist". Then proceeding to try to read into or overanalyze my wording is downright insulting(plus hypocritical).

6. thisguyisnotajedi

thisguyisnotajedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2014
    We don't actually know that.

Lurknomore likes this.
  7. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013

Possible I guess since the mizzlewump rumour states that the gender of the Calrissian kid was dependent on who was cast. But don't forget that Maisie must also be in the movie since she was name checked by Carrie's assistant in that tweet he made which revealed Carrie's daughter Billie was also on set.

Lurknomore likes this.
  8. leia-jade

leia-jade Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 20, 2014

Is Lupita being a villain just speculation, or an actual rumor?

And I'm pretty sure Crystal and Maisie were going for separate roles, since Crystal's probably "Rachel," and "Rachel" was open to all ethnicities. Maisie, on the other hand, wasn't part of the open casting.

9. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    @leia-jade
    she was rumored by both Latino Review(who first broke the news, and said they heard she's playing a Sith) and not too long ago by Making Star Wars as a villain.

10. Tan-Wessel

May 31, 2001

You do care. Or else you wouldn't have commented at all on the matter. Exerting the minimal effort of commenting in any conversation indicates that. I'm sorry that you are not willing to entertain the possibility that you could have made a mistake and subsequently have to resort to exaggerations and ad hominems, among other logical fallacies.

I apologize for questioning your infallibility. Next time, I'll just keep my mouth shut like good subservient Asians should.

Dra--- likes this.
  11. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    @Tan-Wessel
    @Zuckuss the Ruckuss
    I'll play act as the MOD.:p
    You guys need to stop this race thread before it becomes too ugly, it has no business on this thread.;)

Tan-Wessel and Darth Malgus like this.
  12. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Yeah, I care when people make passive aggressive comments insulting my character(like any rational human being).

If your saying my original comment was at fault. It was an innocuous common sense observation.

What does you being Asian have anything to do with it? Why should it matter or even I care?

Actually, this is starting to get entertaining: I wanna see how much further you can jam your own foot in your mouth.

mratm23 likes this.
  13. Tan-Wessel

May 31, 2001
  14. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998

I would rather have the ST show this "passing on" rather than have it happen off screen between 6 and 7.

TK327, BigAl6ft6, Lurknomore and 2 others like this.
  15. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Satipo :
    So it's fine with you for anyone to have a kid but Luke, right?

Wow! You really don't care how terribly they treat Luke do you? Luke can go darkside; form no Jedi Order; have no kid; get killed off and not even be able to become one with the force; be imprisoned for 30 years so he can't be part of any stories between RotJ and Episode VII... Oh,... and why not let Leia take away any possible legacy for Luke and let LEIA teach the new Jedi and start the Jedi Order ? Sounds just wonderful for Luke and fans of the character, doesn't it?

Sadly, it sort of seems like JJ Abrams feels exactly the way you do if he goes through with all this junk and disrespects Luke in all of those ways.

DanielUK:
    Why do so many posters hate Luke's character so much???? That's yet another terrible idea, in my opinion.

It's bad enough to read all of these horrible rumors involving Luke. It's even worse and more disappointing to see how many forum posters seem to think they're such great, wonderful ideas.

Miles Lodson:
    And why can't we have BOTH???? Why can't there already be a few trained Jedi, but we get to see Luke train Daisy and John Boyega? You would still see this "passing on". Why do Daisy and John Boyega need to be the first Jedi trained?

Revanfan1 and Jedi Older Code like this.
  16. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998

Look, the only unresolved plot thread of the OT is Yoda's charge to Luke to pass on his knowledge. As such it makes sense for the "passing on" to drive the entire narrative of the ST and for all of it to be on the screen. We have already had an entire trilogy (the PT, which I enjoyed) that showed mature Jedi in their prime. It's a lot more interesting to me to see something new and unexpected, such as 7 starting with Luke as the only Jedi in the galaxy.

Lurknomore likes this.
  17. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Luke was already the only jedi in the galaxy at the end of RotJ. It doesn't make sense for him to wait 30 years to start Jedi training, especially in such a dangerous galaxy where he had no idea whether he would live only a day or 70 or more years.It would be reckless for Luke not to try to pass on his skills as soon as possible so the Jedi order didn't die with him.

18. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    That part of these rumors is one part i like. It means we will *see* the recreation of the Order on screen.

Which would have to be the reason the writers came up with the idea of Luke being locked up all these years.

DarkGingerJedi and Miles Lodson like this.
  19. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    Lucas always said that the story of Luke passing on his skills would be the main focus of Episodes 7-8-9.....not the focus of the years between Episode 6 and Episode 7.

He said that it was the main theme of the Third Trilogy.

Obi-Wan did wait some years before training Luke.......

20. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998

If I were the son of Darth Vader, and the only Jedi in the galaxy, I would want to pass on my knowledge very carefully. I.e. in a manner where no one knew the son of Vader was restarting the Jedi.

21. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Count Zero :
    I'm sure we ARE going to see someone trained during the ST. What difference does it make whether this person is the first or the 5th or the 20th????? It isn't going to be any different.

As I've said before, the training of the very first person could be shown in a spin-off film or an animated film/series. I would think that Luke's first student would likely be Leia, if she were willing, and I doubt we will see that in Episode VII.

Which means that they would be shooting themselves in the foot, because they would lose Luke as a character for all of the animated series, books, comics, spin-off films, etc. between the two trilogies.

I just find this whole idea of Luke imprisoned for 30 years and training no one and accomplishing NOTHING, really, REALLY stupid and not very well thought out at all.I can't imagine that the filmmakers would think this would be a good idea.

Frank_TJ_Mackey :
    Is that really what he said though? I thought he said that Luke would pass the torch in the ST, which is different from passing on Jedi skills. And I'm not sure that Lucas ever said that Luke would be involved in all three films either.

Can you give me a quote on that? I really don't remember hearing or reading that anywhere.

Of course he did, because he was waiting for Luke to grow up. Luke didn't need to wait... Leia was already grown up.

22. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    If Darth Terminator worships Vader, maybe he removes Luke from the equation but chooses to keep him alive as the only remaining heir of Vader. They wouldn't know Leia was also an heir considering Palpatine probably only knew about Luke (presumably letting this information known to the Inquistors) and, if he did learn about Leia in the last few minutes of Return of the Jedi when Vader was taunting Luke, that knowledge died soon after.

Miles Lodson likes this.
  23. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    Depending on events in between VI and VII. If everything was peace, love and a shattered Empire, then there's no reason Luke couldn't have gotten started right away training leia (if she wanted, she'd have had a LOT to do in the years following ROTJ and may well refuse as one of the leaders of the new regime, at least right away). If it wasn't, and there was more turmoil (which the rumors tend to agree on) then maybe not.

Besides, since just about all sources agree that Luke has been MIA for three decades it's looking like that plot point holds at least a bit of credence.

Nah. Something like that needs to be in an episode of the Primary story. It's too important.

Miles Lodson likes this.
  24. Miles Lodson

Jul 10, 1998

If I were a villain in ep 7, I would be finding a way to channel Luke's powers for my own evil purposes.

Heck, maybe Luke is the new superweapon?

Satipo likes this.
  25. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008

Kind of like Truce at Bakura, but it seems a little too over the top for the film series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.