main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST "Mizzlewump" Rumor - Too Many Coincidences?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Lurknomore, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998

Forgot about that, but in a post ROTJ world, Luke is easily the most important person, and perhaps the most prized commodity, in the galaxy.

2. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008

If he was literally kidnapped right after ROTJ then that means he didn't really mean THAT much to the general public because nobody's really aware of his Jedi training. Yeah, he redeemed Vader, but that was more of a personal loose end since everyone would have been blown to hell if the lightsaber duel lasted 10 minutes longer than it did anyway. Luke honestly didn't contribute ANYTHING to the Battle of Endor besides the speeder bike scuffle.

He'd essentially only be known as the guy who blew up the first death star, while Han, Leia, Chewie, Lando and Wedge Antilles are celebrated heroes of the alliance for winning the Battle of Endor.

3. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998

I dont think we are disagreeing. I am just suggesting that his value is probably the reason he was kidnapped.

4. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    "In the sequels Luke will be a 60 years old Jedi Knights. The sequels
    focuses mainly on Luke and Mark Hamill will get the first crack at the role
    if he's old enough. If the first trilogy is social and political and talks
    about how society evolves; the middle trilogy is more about personnal
    growth and self-realization and the third deal with morals and
    philosophicals problems. The sequals are about Jedi Knighthood, justice,
    confrontation and passing on what you have learned."

Lucas' interview, Time magazine

TtheForceHurts and Satipo like this.
  5. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Frank_TJ_Mackey :

Thank you for the quote. I'm pretty sure that a lot of that has changed. In the first place, we already know that it's Han's character who has the huge role in Episode VII, not Luke's, and we've already been told that Episode VII is he "last hurrah" for the Big Three, as the younger characters take over in Episode VIII. So, it doesn't seem like this trilogy will "focus mainly on Luke".

Notice that it does also say though that the sequels are about "Jedi Knighthood" as well as about "passing on what you have learned". That doesn't rule out that there can be some trained Jedi prior to the beginning of Episode VII. We can still see Luke pass on what he has learned to the new characters even though there may already be a few previously trained Jedi.

6. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I actually did wonder at some point that with the Cold War rumours - maybe Luke is considered the equivalent of the A-bomb (figuratively) and has been captured to take him off the table whilst still keeping the deterrent somehow.

I really think that if Luke has been captured, that in someway he is allowing his captors to think they have the upper hand, whereas in fact he is far more in control than he is letting on. I still think he might have foreseen something and has his own secret agenda.

7. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    A "J-Bomb"? Cool idea.

SithLordDarthRichie and Satipo like this.
  8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    No mention in all of that stuff about the Inquisitors, unless AD is one.

I'm not that keen on the idea Luke just disappears for 30 years, why would he do that?

9. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    He may have had no choice in the matter, especially if he was somehow captured.

Satipo likes this.
  10. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Captured for 30 years!? Really? I find it hard to believe after galactic liberation that the only surviving Jedi would somehow be subdued & imprisoned for 3 decades. There are no Sith to overpower him.
    No-one saved him in that time? Even though the Republic now had control of the galaxy & a big fleet?

Claire1976 likes this.
  11. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Agreed. Or maybe he was off learning about the wider and deeper mysteries of the force for some time (hence separate from Han et al) and then uncovered some grave new threat or got captured or something.

And I still think he Luke has been taken, he's got some long game plan he's playing. I mean, this is the guy that allowed himself to be taken prisoner on Endor. This is the guy that walked into Jabba's palace without his sabre and ended getting caught then.

I mean, when it comes to getting captured, the guy has previous.

And the flip side to that is this: if during ROTJ people heard that three years after ESB, Han was still in Carbonite hanging on Jabba's wall, and that Leia and Chewie get captured after walking into his palace, then Luke walks in without a sabre ("he doesn't have a sabre after three years?! What has this loser been doing?!) and promptly gets captured, then later in the same film he gets captured by 6 stormtroopers without even killing one ("how can 6 stormtroopers catch a Jedi?!"), people would most likely have been freaking out back then too.

Basically, we should wait for the full picture before getting too worried or too excited and always be open to things shifting and not playing out at all as we imagined them.

12. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Theres the big problem that this film has to address in terms of the villain - how do they introduce someone who can use the dark side of the force who is a credible threat to a Jedi now that Vader and the Emperor are gone? This is possibly where the inquisitors come in to play or a previously unseen division of the Empire or some kind of user who was hidden away in all that time maybe?

They also have to answer your second point of why no one tried to find him or free him in all that time too. Because thats the most obvious question that springs to mind if he was captive all that time.

13. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Luke saves the day, but in a bad way...

Sounds like Luke's married then, and his wife is narrator.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  14. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It's possible he learned of the Inquisitors & that they had a plan. Maybe he allowed himself to get captured, but 30 years is a long time. If it was 5 years OK, but to be gone since the end of ROTJ needs some serious explanation

15. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I agree that Luke teaching his first student should have been shown in Episode VII.

Too bad Lucas didn't make the ST in 1989/90, huh? ;)

Look, I'm all for defying some expectations in order to give us more of a sense of the unknown and a greater conflict for our heroes to overcome.

And rebuilding both the Republic and Jedi as an Order? Wonderful premise for the ST and definitely things which deserve to be seen in the chapters of the Episodic Saga.

But at the same time, do I expect to see Master Luke just now training his first student? Some thirty-two years since we've seen him?

My goodness, I hope not.

I'd like to think that Luke has begun training someone by now. This is why I'm for the compromise of Luke appearing from seclusion with a small band of secretly trained Jedi at his side, but no proper New Order to speak of yet.

I think that works.

Revanfan1, Abadacus and ChildOfWinds like this.
  16. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Unless he spent months to a year with everyone before heading off alone in to the depths of the galaxy to learn more about the force, which he does for several years. Then at some point he discovers something sinister and is captured. Also, it's not as if there aren't real world examples of high-profile freedom-fighters being imprisoned for many years - Mandela for example. And I don't think anyone considers him a loser for his incarceration do they? In fact, his imprisonment led to him becoming a rallying point for the anti-apartheid movement. I think people are getting way too hung up on the details of these rumours.

17. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Don't forget Anakin and Obi Wan in Ep III. Basically, if a Jedi surrenders, you've lost, you just don't know it yet.

18. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Ha. Quite.

It's the reverse of the "villain allows himself to get captured as part of his plan" trope. The anti-Joker.

See also - Palpatine allowing the Rebels to get the location and the plans to DS2. Foresight makes you cocky.

19. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Luke's been training someone, went undercover or something into deep enemy territory, was found out and captured. Hasn't been freed because that isn't part of the plan or the villains are too powerful or whatever. Our heroes stumble into this situation and help rescue Luke, who unveils the enemy they must now face. Another "we won the battle but not the war" ending plays out. Setup for VIII. The End. Could work?

Satipo likes this.
  20. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Maybe, whilst in captivity, he is given knowledge of the dark side which he inevitably uses. "saves the day, but in a bad way".

Satipo likes this.
  21. Myself656

Myself656 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2008
    My thinking on 'saves the day, but in a bad way' doesn't necessarily imply using the dark side. Maybe he determines that the planet/superweapon is too powerful for anyone to control and instead sets it to actually BLOW UP THE PLANET (something only the villains have done before now) likely without enough time for everyone to escape first (cue the finale as a running battle between the heroes and villains as they both attempt to escape while the planet literally falls apart around them). This goes double if the superweapon was actually being sought by the Republic as a means of maintaining a balance of power with the Empire and this now puts the heroes at a disadvantage going forward.

Revanfan1 and Miles Lodson like this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm all for downer endings since I have no heart.

Import_Jedi and Darth Punk like this.
  23. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    According to the rumor a child of Lando and a stormtrooper are two separate characters. If John is the trooper, who is Lando`s child?

24. Myself656

Myself656 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2008
    My hunch is Oscar, though he may be more a step-son or apprentice of Lando rather than a biological child.

25. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I always assumed lando was a virgin

Claire1976 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.